Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP to Win7 Printer Sharing  (Read 2734 times)

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

XP to Win7 Printer Sharing
    « on: July 02, 2011, 08:16:52 AM »
    I have a home network setup with my Desktop running XP and My Laptop running Win 7.  I am sharing a printer which is hooked up to the desktop.  All the files are shared and this works just fine, when I try to add the printer to my network i get a message telling me that an inf file is missing.  Where can I find this file?  Printer is HP photosmart 7700.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: XP to Win7 Printer Sharing
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:52:55 PM »
    Install the printer the normal way on both desktops. Use the CD that came with the printer. In Windows print sharing, some dies are needed even on the guest PC.But the Windows 7 host does not have the right files to give to the XP machine.

The workaround is to already have the printer installed on both machine before sharing ins started.

The link below explains another way to do this, But you have to dig down to find it, When you install a printer in Windows 7 you are given the chance to include drivers for other OS on your network. Otherwise, each XP user has to find the drivers.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/