Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best Way To Backup PC  (Read 23061 times)

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Best Way To Backup PC
    « on: July 02, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »
    I'm novice, I wanted to know if somebody here has a guide on the best way to make sure my PC has it's files and setting backed up.

I have an external harddrive which I use to backup, but I don't do it often as I should because it's a pain in the *censored*.
    I manually drag files from the PC to the disc folder.

1) I was wondering if there is an easier way to automatically update the external harddrive/sync it.

2) I also was wondering, I only backup My Documents/Pictures/Music...is that all I can back up/sync or are there other things?

3) Is there a way my settings and desktop can be backed up?  This way if the PC crashes, I have my browser bookmarks and know what programs I had downloaded on my desktop and c drive?

As it stands now, the only thing I know to do is drag c:/documents files (like word/excel/jpegs...and I can't help but thing there has to be a more easier, complete way to back up.

4) Oh...last...what the heck is system restore and should I do it?

Basically, we have a malware guide, does somebody have a "checklist" guide to ensuring a good backup?

Thanks!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Best Way To Backup PC
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
    The best way to back up your PC is to create hard drive image.

Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/ - not free, but the best

Free alternatives:
    - Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp
    - DriveImage XML: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm (tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial160.html)
    - SelfImage: http://www.excelcia.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=21
    - Paragon Drive Backup: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »
    The best way to back up your PC is to create hard drive image.
    Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/ - not free, but the best...
    Free for Western Digital Internal hard drives.  http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
    I'm with Broni on this.

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »
    This is not actually a disagreement. What Broni and Allen said represents the preference of most personal computer users. A snapshot image is a sure way to make sure you get everything back, including the system files needed to boot your computer.
    But on the other hand, the backup utility divided by Microsoft is functional.Heck, should be called a industrial grade program. In a commercial setting it works very well. For most home users it seems rather awkward, even bizarre.
    If you wish to learn how the Microsoft backup program works, you need to start practicing on a few very small files in perhaps a couple of small folders. The default backup device is the floppy drive. So, it's rather obvious why many people don't even want to try to learn how to use the MS backup. But back up device can also be a tape drive or even an external hard drive.
    From time to time I use the Microsoft active utility for certain specific issues. If there is any interest in this I might make another post somewhere else and explain in more detail. Unfortunately, the documentation included is very, very thin.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »
    Let's add EASEUS Todo Backup Free 2.5 to the list.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »
      What I currently do is

-Put in my external harddrive (I have seagate)
      -Go to my documents, drag it to the ex hard drive
      -Go to my music/pictures, do the same

1) What advantages does creating an image have over what I do?

2) I also don't seem to understand, when you create an image, is that
      -Just an image of your desktop icons
      -Or an image of all your files/folders/programs

Meaning if your PC got destroyed and you had to re-format, you could just put in the ex hard drive, click the image, and all the software files, icons, documents, pictures, and music would be on?

3) I don't plan to use the "paid" version, so it using one of those free versions worth learning as opposed to my status quo?

4) In Windows Vista, is there a way to get it so the PC automatically back ups daily/weekly or if not, can you get it to remind you (if so how)?

5) Last, what about system restore?  What is that, I mean is that where your PC basically backs up on it's own C-drive, which is good unless the OS needs removed?

-How does system restore work and how is it best used or done?

Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:56:10 PM »
      Did your external HD not come with an excellent backup program?

Traditionally, backup is done by files and directories. Older  backup devices could not duplicate the file system of a hard drive. The backup device was a tap recorder.

Am image backup is a supplication of everything on your computer. Of course, the backup device is not a resubstitute for hour computer, but it does have all the information. So it is called an image. It is essence without substance.

Windows 7 has built-in backup tools. The Microsoft site has more information.
      Windows 7 features. Backup and Restore

There is lot more to be sad about backup. but i don't want to 'snow' you with too much information. After reading the MS info. come back here and ask some questions.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:05:02 AM »
        So if I use one of these, and my hardrive goes kaboom

1) Can I get all my files (docs/music/pics) back?
        2) Can I get all my software (MS Office/iTunes/Skype) back?
        3) Can I get all my settings back (like what my username was and desktop background/time)?
        4) Will this save automatically?

5) When I get my PC back, how can I restore it to the way it was?

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »

So if I use one of these, and my hardrive goes kaboom

1) Can I get all my files (docs/music/pics) back?
        2) Can I get all my software (MS Office/iTunes/Skype) back?
        3) Can I get all my settings back (like what my username was and desktop background/time)?
        4) Will this save automatically?

5) When I get my PC back, how can I restore it to the way it was?

1) Yes, thats why its a back up
        2) The software is what YOU should install, so just re-install it
        3) Yes, that whats backed up (except the time 'set' in the BIOS and does not apply)
        4) Depends on what software you use
        5) back from where / what ??
        11 cheers for binary !

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
          Well I got my PC back today, and I don't ever want this problem again.

Should I get something like carbonite/dropbox or would
          Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect be better?

Again, I want it where all my files (docs/settings/itunes) are automatically backed up.  I can access them from any PC or Mobile device and if my PC breaks again, I just can go to the site, and be able to restore my PC with all files and docs to the way it was.

I hear carbonite advertised all the time, never heard of acronis.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
            Would I be able to with acronis use this and transfer data to my iPhone, or if I switch computers, to a mac?

Can it backup my itunes music and playlist?

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »
              Wow, I think carbonite might be better, how come none of you recommended it?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
              Carbonite Ii a cloud server. About $60 a year.
              Or you can buy a Seagate Go Flex for about $90 with a one year warranty.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
                So carbonite is the same thing, basically, as apple iCloud?
                I think I am going with carbonite, unless you all think something else is better and cheaper!