Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What company cpu do you prefer

You may only select up to 2 options.

Author Topic: cpu: whats your favorite?  (Read 3556 times)

Dustin13838

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
cpu: whats your favorite?
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
what cpu do you prefer?

Also if there are any good cpu companies thet i missed or dont know lett me know.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: cpu: whats your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »
Of course there are a few other companies out there that manufacture CPUs

Motorola for one, I believe the PS3 houses a Motorola CPU
VIA also produces very energy efficient; but slow chips.

There are a few others but I doubt anyone on the forums uses any of them.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 03:58:05 AM »

I prefer Fission Chips.
11 cheers for binary !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:23:21 AM »
MOS technology 6502.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »
I prefer Fission Chips.

Hah! that one took a few seconds but actually made my laugh. Good work :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 06:38:34 AM »
Oh Joy.....another Poll.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:42:10 AM »
VIA's Mini-ITX solutions are actually pretty interesting: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/ProductDetail.jsp?productLine=1&id=1550&tabs=1

The VIA EPIA-M900 Mini-ITX board pairs the 1.6GHz VIA Nano X2 E-Series dual core processor with the VIA VX900 media system processor to provide a high-performance, scalable solution for a wide array of advanced digital signage, POS, Kiosk, ATM, home automation, healthcare and media client systems.

In addition enabling support for up to 8GB of DDR3 system memory, the VIA VX900 features the latest ChromotionHD 2.0 video engine, boasting comprehensive hardware acceleration for the latest VC1, H.264, MPEG-2 and WMV9 HD formats at screen resolutions of up to 1080p without incurring a heavy CPU load. Display connectivity support includes onboard HDMI and VGA ports with pin headers for dual channel 24-bit LVDS.

Rear panel I/O includes a Gigabit LAN port, HDMI port, VGA port, four USB 2.0 ports, one COM port and three audio jacks. An onboard PCIe x16 slot (with effective speed up to PCIe x8) and one PCI slot is accompanied with pin headers providing one dual channel 24-bit LVDS support (including backlight control), an additional three COM ports, a further four USB 2.0 ports and one USB device port, LPC support, 2 Digital I/O, SPDIF out and an SMBus header.

Key Features
High-performance 64-bit VIA Nano X2 E-Series dual core processor
Hardware acceleration for VC1, H.264 and WMV9 HD video
On board HDMI and VGA ports, plus dual channel 24-bit LVDS
Support for up to 8GB of DDR3
Support for HD DVD and  Blu-ray audio content protection

Its a pity VIA is in the shadow of AMD and Intel. That said, I'm thinking of building a HTPC with this board.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58:03 AM »
Its a pity VIA is in the shadow of AMD and Intel.

They are in the shadow of AMD and Intel because their offerings have always been sub-par even in the realm of value machines.

AMD first made inroads into Intel's market mostly because of the K6, which was really an improvement, not on the K5, but NexGen's Nx586.

In order to use a Pentium II chip, users would have to upgrade their entire motherboard. The K6 was physically installable into a K5 board, so users could get performance somewhere between a Pentium I and a Pentium II at a fraction of the cost. the K6 also boasted faster Integer operations than the Pentium.

VIA's first offering- the Cyrix- was inferior to both the Pentium as well as The AMD lines at the time, And there is, quite literally, no reason to ever have a machine that uses a VIA processor in a desktop PC. None of it's later and current offerings are value-equal to similar offerings by Intel and AMD. VIA Motherboards, however, are usually quite capable. The fact that the only way VIA can get it's CPUs into consumer hands seems to be to pair their boards with the CPU is telling in that regard.

Like Motorola, ARM processors, and so forth, VIA would be best to concentrate on embedded applications for their processors, rather than the desktop, especially with the boom in mobile devices, which can be in fact more lucrative a market than desktops and laptops anyway.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »

ha ha ha, by adding Fission Chips to the poll, you've turned it from a 'personal preferance' poll into something more farcical.
11 cheers for binary !