Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Studio 1555 laptop battery problem  (Read 7105 times)

18carNASCAR

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Dell Studio 1555 laptop battery problem
    « on: July 10, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
    I have had my laptop for about a year and seven months now and my computer is not recognizing a battery charge. But it will run. When it is charging (with the charger plugged in) it has the charger symbol but with an "X" over the battery with it saying there is no charge in it. And when I take the charger out it says the battery is full but it has the flashing "X" like the battery needs to be plugged into the charger because  the battery is running low.

Any suggestions would help and thank you for all that answer :)

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Dell Studio 1555 laptop battery problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:07:33 PM »
    Yes, your battery is probably in it's death throes.  Batteries start degrading the day they are made.
    Evil is an exact science.

18carNASCAR

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »
      Knew I was going to need one soon but still didnt think I would need one for a while. What I first got the computer it had a battery life of about 4hrs under "casual" use. But when I was playing high demand games. 60% processor use or more. The battery would just die within an hour. But when this started happening I stillhad about 2hrs of battery life left in a full charge.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »
      If you get 3 years from a laptop battery your in the bonus round...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Tokkulmann

Rookie

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »
      Two friends and I also use roughly the same model of laptop (they all use the same charger, so I assume it's the same one you are using).

Try looking into the following:

1. Try finding another laptop that uses the same charger and/or battery. Try their battery in your computer. If it works then the problem is probably your battery.

1. Look into the end of your charger. Is there a tiny pin in the middle of it? My friends and I haven't quite figured out exactly why, but if the pin is broken, bent, or even completely missing, the laptop doesn't charge the battery properly (probably some safeguard implemented by Dell to prevent people from buying other chargers)

2. Does your charger charge the other battery properly?

3. If said laptop also uses the same battery, try putting your battery into the other laptop. Does it charger properly? This might be related to the pin thing, but this time maybe an issue with the motherboard side not accepting the pin.

jer

Starter

• Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:49:46 PM »
        Be sure to check this site before you get a new one... If you "qualify" they'll send you a new one for free: http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/
        Not right now, Lumbergh, I'm kinda busy.