Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How hot is too hot for a laptop  (Read 5947 times)

18carNASCAR

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    How hot is too hot for a laptop
    « on: July 12, 2011, 04:50:17 AM »
    I just wanted to ask the question cause I have noticed my laptop getting really hot depending on what I am doing on it. When I am using it low demand uses (i.e. internet, file browsing etc.) the laptop does get pretty warm (a little but warmer than you would feel under a blanket) but when I am using it for high demand uses (i.e. games and saving movies from Windows Live Movie Maker) if I an not careful about it the laptop can get so hot that it feels like it is starting to burn you. Would this kind of heat (mainly high demand uses) damage the computer in anyway as in destroying the graphics card and processor and could this be the reason why I can see a visible change in what graphic settings I used to run compared to run now and FPS rates for video games

Computer Specs

Dell Studio 1555 running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8700 @ 2.53GHz  2.53GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00GB
    System type: 64-bit Operating System

reddevilggg

Expert

Re: How hot is too hot for a laptop
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:01:40 AM »

Download and run Speedfan
    http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Post the results.

Also, has it ever been cleaned??   Do you use it on a flat surface, making sure that you do not block the fan vents ??
    11 cheers for binary !

jer

Starter

• Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »
      With regard to the actual
      How hot is  too hot for a laptop
      question, the maximum internal temp usually ranges anywhere from 140°F  to 160°F, but I suppose that changes with each computer... Either way though, sounds to me like the port through which the fan dumps out the hot air might be clogged (or kind of like what reddevilggg said, it's just as probable that the cooler air from the outside is never getting all the way to the inside if the vent/intake is being blocked by... [anything]).

Do you have dogs/cats? Lots of times their hair can get sucked in through the intake and end up clogging up the exhaust vent(s)...

Just a thought. Good luck!  :)
      Not right now, Lumbergh, I'm kinda busy.

18carNASCAR

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »
        Has been cleaned by some compressed air but never opened up. Been a year and seven months since I got it

18carNASCAR

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »
          Here are the readings from what SpeedFan said

Low Demand Usage (Cpu usage between 5 and 25 average for test 10)
          HD0: 38 C
          Temp1: 50 C
          Temp2:  47 C
          Temp3: 53 C
          Core 0: 42 C
          Core 1: 41 C

High Demand Usage (Cpu Usage above 25 average for test 93.7)
          HD0: 43 C
          Temp1: 77 C
          Temp2: 61 C
          Temp3: 67 C
          Core0: 70 C
          Core1: 76 C

The fan speeds and voltages would not show up for some reason. And I did have the Automatic fan speed box checked off while  doing so.

NOTE: That every one of the Temp and Core either showed a flame or a red arrow pointing up through the whole test except for after I had completed the high demand test with the exception of Temp3 which remained the flame and about 10min after Temp1 is flashing between the green check mark and the red arrow pointing up.

NOTE: The HD0 had a green check mark the whole time during the test until the very end of the High demand test. Then after the high demand test it stayed the red arrow pointing up the rest of the time i was on my computer

It is on a flat, solid surface with the air vent at least 1ft away from all objects around it (other than the table)

And the start tempature  is about 71 F cause that is what the air temp is in my house.

Also with the install of the program will this mess with my fan if I choose to unistall it at a later date

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:53:59 AM »

The min / max temp ranges for your processor are between 0-105 C

Personally, i think Laptops generally get to hot when they're used as desktops. Laptop are meant to be a portable workstation. Maybe try a cooling pad.
          11 cheers for binary !

18carNASCAR

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
            I really do use this for a work computer mostly for school and surfing the internet. But sometimes in school I have to make a video and I use Windows Live Movie Maker. And when saving a movie on that you CPU usage could get up to 100% But I very rarely play high demand games on my laptop