Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows XP/ME help  (Read 11696 times)

Mac

Re: windows XP/ME help
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 12:31:48 AM »
Just goes to show what dyslexia can do. I read Richmond and think Redmond, and it's getting worse.

Spend too much time looking at a computer screen I suppose, or maybe it was because I was looking at Bill's office in Redmond on Google Earth thinking that, if I could smart-bomb his offices automatically when a BSOD appears on the screen by linking in to a defence computer I could get a free copy of Windows Vista. ;D

Just who is defending who around here anyway?

(Windows Vista is the latest name for Windows Longhorn due to replace XP and now in Beta testing.)

It has the advantage of being available in 32-bit and 64-bit editions. 64-bit operating system architecture has even more virtual memory available and can use even more RAM but it is more for professional engineers, scientists and film makers.

Certainly for the money, it looks like good value. I see that there is 64 MB of video memory.

Just ask them if this is totally independant of the main system memory. That is important as it can affect performance.

If it is not independant but inclusive, i.e. 512-64MB making 448MB then I would opt for the better video card with 128MB.

So yes, the floppy can come in real handy when repairs are needed and 512 MB of RAM is a sensible choice.

Ask if you can add more later if you need to,will they still have it in stock or is it a limited period offer.

Good luck with the new computer.

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 04:47:38 AM »
3D Video for high-end gaming (like Doom3) ATI RADEON 9550 chipset 128MB full-DX9 AGP8x +$79

You appear to want to play games. I would not advise you to bother trying on a system with the specifications as quoted by Mac. It is simply not powerful enough.

Mac

Re: Windows XP/ME help
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 06:04:47 AM »
Nobody needs a computer to play games on. Computers are for people who use them for work.

I don't have any games on any computers.

Raptor

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 06:47:36 AM »
If no one needs computers to play on how come I can't fit my GTASA DVD in my Sega 16bit?  ???

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 06:51:36 AM »
    You should try some games Mac, there's a lot of satisfaction in running amuck with a very large gun.  :D

rufusta2

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 07:37:45 PM »
    Thanks everyone.  I am more confused than ever w/all the technical talk, but I can't expect to understand it all.  I really just started getting into computers in '98, didn't get my first one until after 2000.  I'll be 40 next year and can honestly say that I have taught myself most everything I know.  
    Yes, I do plan on playing games, mainly solitaire types and some RPG's.  If you think this new computer would be bad for them, you should have seen what I first had.
    Think it was called a Northgate.  Got it from Heilig Meyers.  Worst piece of *censored* ever, lost my memory somewhere.
    But anyway, thanks for the help, although no one answered my orginal question about if I can reinstall ME instead of XP w/out losing me email messages and some important documents.  I know I can save the documents to a floppy but what about the emails?  Can I still pull them up later on in Outlook?

merlin_2

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »
    was windows xp a upgrade disk if so this may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q303661/

rufusta2

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 07:59:06 PM »
    Yes, I bought it for an upgrade from 98SE, but did a clean install because I needed to reformat my hard drive to its full capacity.  I can do the same thing and put ME on it, I just need to find out if I save me emails on a floppy can I pull them back up in Outlook later on?
    My husband has several from his ex-wife that I want to keep for him, but I want him to be able to go back and read them again later on if he wants to.

merlin_2

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 08:03:45 PM »
    load the recovery disks that came with the pc. or kick sanders........the chicken king
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 08:05:27 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2005, 08:00:25 AM »
    I do plan on playing games, mainly solitaire types and some RPG's.  If you think this new computer would be bad for them, you should have seen what I first had.

I was referring to high end games such as Doom III, Far Cry, etc. But if you do not plan on playing these, all the better. For your system that is. You actually need to play games in order to be come a mindless killing machine.