Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Foreign factory infection computer products, more  (Read 5278 times)

Charlie361

Topic Starter

Rookie

Foreign factory infection computer products, more
    « on: July 19, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »
    A little more from the CIA computor security retiree.

"
    Hi _______,
    I just returned from Office Depot looking at their all-in-one printers.  The Brother 5895CW you were interested in from Costco illustrated in
    their latest flyer is "Made in China".  The problem with that is the special agreement that the Intel services in China have with local computer/printer
    manufacturers.  They get Government money/assistance/sponsorship for allowing their Intel service to insert packages into outgoing electronics.
    (per Wiki-leaks DOS cable traffic).  The below news release confirms that relationship.  It would be nice if US company's would accept accountability
    for this problem, or hold China accountable.  That hasn't happened yet.

Alternately, Office Depot has All-in one printers from Epson that are made in Indonesia.  There is a much better relationship between the US and Indonesia
    for producing products at this time.  The equivalent all-in-one appeared to be the Epson Workforce 520 for approximately $129.00.

I helped my buddy in Tucson install his Epson all-in one printer and he just confirmed to me that he is happy with it's capability,
    and he apparently has no adverse side effects from the installation.  (unlike some HP all-in-ones that produce unpredictable on line behavior)

Cheers,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

U.S.official says pre-infected computer tech entering country
    By M. Alex Johnson, msnbc.com reporter

Confirming years of warnings from government and private security experts, a top Homeland Security official has acknowledged that computer hardware and software is already being imported to the United States preloaded with spy ware and security-sabotaging components.
    The remarks by Greg Schaffer, the Department of Homeland Security's acting deputy undersecretary for national protection and programs, came Thursday during a tense exchange at a hearing of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. The panel is considering an Obama administration proposal to tighten monitoring and controls on computer equipment imported for critical government and communications infrastructure.
    Schafferdidn't say whether the equipment he was talking about included end-user consumer tech like retail laptops, DVDs and media players. If so, his comments,first reported Friday morning by Fast Company, would be the first time the United States has publicly confirmed that foreign consumer technology is arriving in the country already loaded with nasty bugs like key-logging software, botnetcomponents and even software designed to defeat security programs installed on the same machine.
    """

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Foreign factory infection computer products, more
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »
    Charlie361,
    Without references, your post has zero value.

I just bought a hammer made in china.
    Do you think it will attack me?   ;D

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:47:20 AM »
    LOL please provide sources or references

Or simply boycott all china products LOL

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:30:21 AM »

I mean, come on man. Can this "contact" of yours not provide anything but some dilettante rambling?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:51:51 AM »
    The phrase "made in china" will soon become an awesome cliche.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none