Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet explorer  (Read 10843 times)

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    internet explorer
    « on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:06 PM »
    i have windows xp and when i go online to aol mail i can sign on but the top says username service and it's blank and says done at the bottom when i go on facebook i can signon and only 2 lines show up and thats all. On offline i tried to restore from before and i click restore and nothing happends please help me thanks betty

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: internet explorer
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:05:54 AM »
    Hi Betty,

Welcome to Computer Hope.

In order for someone to help you diagnose your problem, they are going to need as much information about it. Detailed is much better. Please describe the problem exactly and wait for Computer Hope experts. Thanks.

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:31:20 AM »
      well i was trying to delete files not needed to make more space as i was running out and then i must have deleted something i needed to go online correctly as the next time i went online i was not able to even go to aol only msn my homepage so then i thought maybe i can get help from online helps and i downloaded some adware and ran it and  fix it download and it found like 1145 errors or problems and I tried to purchase it and it would not go to the page and let me purchase it. I went to my restore feature so i could go back a day or 2 before i deleted files and it does nothing when i click on it in control panel. I am unable to upgrade my browser to ei7 or ei8 it says not commpatable or wrong language somthing like that. I can't get to my mail on aol so i don't know what to do I can't get on my facebook all it does is show 2 lines  blue like where they should be but nothing else shows up if i click on a link then a few sub catagories come up like jobs or other small links but no profile no status like usaual. I can go to forums but i click on a link like games i can see the games but i click on one and it says its going there but it never goes there or it will say done at the bottom but theres noting there just a blank white screen. I can go here but if i click on chat only a black screen comes up i can not chat with anyone at least here i can get an answer or communicate some what. please help me thank you betty

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:54:06 AM »
      Probably your web browser has been hijacked by malware. I suggest that you need to ensure first that your computer is 100% free from malware, then from there, it would be easy for Computer Help experts to understand what causing you the problem and will give you necessary actions to fix it.

Go to this thread first: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html Please read and understand. Good luck!

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »
      well i was trying to delete files not needed to make more space as i was running out ...
      So, generally speaking, what files did you delete?  From what folder?  How old is your computer?  What version of Windows?  How much hard drive space is still free?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:04:28 AM »
      What happens if you use another browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc)?

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:39:10 PM »
        I tried to download service pack 1a as when i checked system general it said only professional xp so i went to the site it told me too and while it was downloading ia message said this Internet exploror cannot download sp1aexpress_USA.exe from download microsoft.com the connection with the server was reset then the ok button thats it so now what do i do as they said i have to have sp1a in order to continue. When i deleted the files i was in cookies and they were dated from 2002 2004 before i had the computer and they were all files that mostly had somethiung . pdf or an old old date I don't remember what they said  it was only c few bigger cookie files 4 or 5 it was about a month now ive been trying to get back to normal use but its not working what should i do now? thank you betty

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »
          carol278, Welcome to the CH forums. Please do NOT be offended but i cannot make much sense of your last post in this thread.I would like to again draw your attention to the suggestion of Allan and suggest that you try that to see if it solves your issue. "What happens if you use another browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc)?" Do you need help in trying that suggestion? truenorth

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 02:03:50 AM »
            yes the only one i know of is msn or internet exploror. However i must warn you that everytime i try to download things like ie7 and ie8 it will begin to extract then on 7 this message came up The procedure entry point SHreggetvalueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll and at the top it said Iesetup.exe - entry point not found and on ie7 it said Ie7 to download - This installation does not support your operating systems current service pack version. My computer is probably really old yet I know it goes on the aol and facebook sites as I was going on them for at least 6 months before this happend. I sure hope your able to help me thank you all for trying really betty

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 07:24:28 AM »
            I tried to download service pack 1a as when i checked system general it said only professional xp ...
            That doesn't make sense.  Service pack 1a is for Windows XP, both Home Edition and Professional. I suggest you download Service Pack 2 from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=28 and install it.  Once it's installed, go right on and download and install Serivce Pack 3, and then get all the Windows Updates to get your system up to date. 

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 07:34:38 AM »
            Agree with Soybean...

IE will act up and kick out random errors if all updates are not in place...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »
              I am going to try and explain where we are and what we are trying to do to help you overcome your issue. I shall be explaining things at a very basic level and if it is below your level  of knowledge i do apologize. It is just that at this point i feel you would be more comfortable if you know and understand what is happening. The suggestion was made that you try to resolve your issue by downloading and installing another browser (your current browser is Internet Explorer). However it appears that you are using as your Operating System Microsoft Windows XP and that you are missing (not installed) certain very crucial updates to the operating system. Therefor it is most likely that you cannot install another browser because of the problems arising out of the fact that you do NOT have a properly functioning and reliable operating system. Microsoft periodically over the lifetime of an operating system issues advisories for updates to their software. Some of these updates are for security reasons some are to correct known problems (faults) associated with the operating system or other Microsoft programs. A lot of computer users have these updates programmed on their computers to install automatically. Others have selected the method that only the user will determine what updates are allowed to be installed. During the life of windows xp (support from microsoft wise) --which is now drawing to a close--there have been many updates. The ones that are most noteworthy are the 3 "service pack" updates. They were and are critical to the proper functioning of the XP operating system as well as the potential for integration of other software (both Microsoft software and others). They were NOT cumulative --as an example if you tried to install service pack 3 it did not include the contents of 1 and/or 2. you must install them all and do so in the order they were released.
                 What is now becoming the focus of the CH members trying to assist you is to get you to install ALL the service packs that were issued (as it appears they were never installed). Then your operating system will function to it's optimum and hopefully will not only eliminate your current problem but also many others that may be occurring or are likely to occur. So that is where we are now.Do you understand what i have just stated? Do you have any questions?Do not be shy if you have a question at any point just ask it. But please try to do as we suggest as we suggest it (unless of course you don't understand it or need additional elaboration).truenorth
              P.S. Your current browser Internet Explorer is more than likely not the latest version compatible with your operating system either. But that can be addressed after your Operating System issues are corrected.

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »
                o.k I believe I understand you and I will go now and try to download 12 and3 packs now in that order and I will come back and let you know what happens. However I went to free browsers and netscape came up and I downloaded it and quess what I could get on aol and facebook with it however it is slow as you know what it  took 5 minutes of me waiting for farkle to come up and it was only at 40% loaded so i went out of there and checked how  much space was left on my c drive and it was at 285MB it's a 3.GB drive anyways the browser thing worked but it's very slow so i am going now to try to download 123 pack updates now I think I get these at Microsoft windows updates right well i shall try be back and thank you all so much for trying to help me I thought all was lost be back and thanks agian betty

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
                Hi Betty,

Your C drive should have at least 15% free space, hence, it will not run smoothly. Following instructions here will help to free up some space in your C drive. http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.msg290095.html#msg290095 Focus on Step 2: House Cleaning

After you install Service Pack 3, try other browser like Mozilla Firefox 5 instead of Internet Explorer 9. Good luck and keep us posted.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 07:13:30 AM »
                  Observation=that is an awfully small harddrive.What is the make and model of your computer?truenorth

soybean

Genius
                  « Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:22 AM »
                  i went out of there and checked how  much space was left on my c drive and it was at 285MB it's a 3.GB drive ...
                  You're gonna have problems until you upgrade to a larger hard drive.  Knowing that you only have 285MB of free space, I'd say you will not be able to install the Service Packs for Windows XP.  I don't know how your computer is even functioning with only a 3GB HD.  In fact, I have to suspect you may be incorrect in the overall size of the hard drive.   If you open My Computer, what drives do you see listed there, and what does it show for total size?

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »
                    ok I installed sp1 and this is what happened it said install shieldwizard called driver detective when i clicked on download windows xp.sp1. while installing a window came up and said the installation of microsoft.net framework 2.0 (x86) appears to have failed. Do you want to continue installation. So i put no right cause it failed Then I tried from the lets get started button and it downloaded then but I put save instead of open and and installing the same box came up so I was trying it agian the install line goes all the way and then the green dotted line travals through the line awhile then the same box comes up this time I pushed continue installation I put yes  Then I tried to download avast free anti virus 6.0 1203 and a box came came up saying An error 8(00000081 has occured last performed application was exstracting files.  Then I tried AVG and it downloadedon open not save Then a box said This application failed to iniciate properly (oxe00012di) click on o.k. to terminate the application and on top it said dwwln.exe application error How do I clear up some space on my memory besides disk  cleanup I had 122 mb I did disk cleanup and now I have 340mb

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
                      microsoft windows xp professional version 2002 Intel pentium lll processor 501mhz 256mb of ram I have a F drive with 4,80gb free

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
                        my computer says drive c and it's capacity is 3.41gb and drive f and it's capacity is 6.83gb and drive d is my cd rom and my documents properties is size 53.7mb size on disk is 18.4mb contains 65 files and 4 folders

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                        • Certifications: List
                        • Experience: Expert
                        « Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
                        microsoft windows xp professional version 2002 Intel pentium lll processor 501mhz 256mb of ram I have a F drive with 4,80gb free
                        This indicates the computer is 10 years old.  Even adding RAM & a larger hard drive, expect it to run slowly.  The WinXP service packs & latest antivirus's & anti-spywares need more power than your computer provides.  I've retired my Pentium III's & II's to non-internet use.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »
                          By the questions soybean and myself have asked previously and now with Computer Commando's pronouncement your issue takes on a whole new light. What is being said is you are using a very old computer. The consequences of that are that it is not practical to upgrade the hardware that were it Not so old would allow you to upgrade your XP operating system hardware (service packs 1-3 etc) and get your computer performing better. Your basic problem at the moment is that your harddrive capacity as reflected in your 2 drives is NOT really adequate to run your operating system and have enough remaining to allow you to do very much. I would still be interested in your reply to my question (which was going to allow me to do some research on what you have on your computer and what upgrades may be possible)--so once again what is the make and model of your computer? If your circumstances permit this may be an appropriate time for you to consider a computer replacement.truenorth

soybean

Genius
                          « Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
                          If a computer replacement is feasible at this time, I suggest this: Compaq - Presario Desktop / AMD Athlon™ II Processor / 2GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive.  $320 retail price.  This is the computer only.  You'd need to use your current mouse, keyboard, and monitor, or replace them too.  I believe this computer has no PS/2 connetors, which I'd guess is what your current mouse and keyboard use.  If true, then you would need to get a USB mouse and keyboard.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                          « Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »
                          That's a good suggestion.  BTW, it has PS2 connectors for keyboard & mouse.  Pic shows a 56k modem, specs don't mention it.

Here's one for $280
                          http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Desktop+/+AMD+E-Series+Processor+/+3GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/2670346.p?id=1218343209613&skuId=2670346

patio

• Genius
                          • Maud' Dib
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
                          256Mg of RAM may be factoring into this...as well as limited HDD space.
                          Your asking a machine to do what it wasn't built for...
                          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 08:36:01 PM »
                            well my computer is hewlett packard i'm not sure what you mean thats on the outside of my computer box however I got the answer i needed now i just use netscape  to go to aol and facebook cause really thats the most sites I go to there are a few others but those are the main ones so getting or using another browser helped even if it is slower thats ok so thank you so much for helping me really tell mewhat it is you want to know and i'll come back and see if i can tell you if i understand your question ok thanks agian
                            betty

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                            « Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
                            Since Netscape is now a subsidiary of AOL, their browser is the only one that will function with AOL.

soybean

Genius
                            « Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
                            Since Netscape is now a subsidiary of AOL, their browser is the only one that will function with AOL.
                            Nothing here about having to use Netscape: What are the minimum system requirements for Classic AOL Mail?  And besides, I can't imagine Netscape browser being required to use AOL mail.  AOL stopped supporting the Netscape browser years ago.

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »
                              well I quess you all were correct as i can no longer go on netscape so i quess i need a new computer If I went to a store to buy a good resonable desktop what would you suggest please and thank you for your help
                              betty

soybean

Genius
                              « Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
                              Did you read reply #21 and 22?  We gave you two good suggestions and posted links to them on Best Buy's website. If I were buying one of them, I'd probably pick the one I posted because I believe it has a little better processor.  But, I think either of them will work fine for you.

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »
                                well i am on my way to best buy so the next time i talk to you i will be on my new computer thank you all