Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to save a wordpad?  (Read 13808 times)

Bobh

Re: How to save a wordpad?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »
Hi -
Here is what I get when I open a file where I used RTF.
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.21.2509;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 help\fs28\par
\par
help\par
\par
\fs36 help\fs20\par
}

It is supposed to look like this.

help     (font 10)

help    (font 14)

help    (font 18)

Thanks     Bob

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 06:29:09 AM »
The file I attached can not be directly opened in Wordpad until it's "unzipped".  The forum does not allow uploading of certain file types, including .rtf.  So, I had to "compress" into a "Zipped" file.  To view the Wordpad file that I compressed/zipped, left click on it and select Save.  This should save it to your Documents folder.  Then, open your Documents folder, right click on the file, and select "Extract All...".  This adds the orginal Wordpad created by me to your Documents.  The name of the file is simply Document.  Double click on it; it should open in Wordpad.

I hate to admit it BUT when you say "  Save it to your hard drive and then open it" I do not know how to save it to my hard drive.
Any file you save normally gets saved on your hard drive.  When you save a file to Documents, it's on your hard drive.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 06:55:25 AM »
I just opened my Wordpad file, the one I attached to this forum discussion, in Notepad and here's what I saw:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Calibri;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.21.2510;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\sa200\sl276\slmult1\lang9\f0\fs36 font size 18\par
\fs22 font size 11\fs36\par
\fs52 font size 26\par
\fs22\par
}

So, this is a very clear indication you are using Notepad, not Wordpad, to open an .rtf file.  When you open the file and it appears this way, look at your title bar.  Does it say Notepad or Wordpad?

Bobh

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »
soybean -
Let me review -  I go to "all programs and click on WordPad - I then type what I desire -  I then click on "save" - This brings up a panel
which wants a file name I give it one and click on save - I did not change the Rtf - Now I go to "documents" and click on the file I have just named -
This causes the heading to change so that I can click on "open" - when I do the unreadable stuff comes up -  At no time do I see the word  NotePad   -  Where am I going wrong?      Bob

Bobh

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:55:02 AM »
2x3i5x -
Thanks - At your suggestion  I downloaded Open Office Suite.  It seems to do what I want.  As soon as soybean tells me what I am doing wrong in WordPad I will be in good shape.  Good suggestion!!!     Bob

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 09:07:17 AM »
You are trying to open the file in  Explorer. Don't.
Do not use 'Open' from the tight click.
First  open Word ad. The click File, then Open. Find the file.

You MUST open the fie INSIDE of Word pad.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »
You are trying to open the file in  Explorer. Don't.
Do not use 'Open' from the tight click.
Why not?  That should work fine, unless his file association in Windows does not have Wordpad set as the default program to open RTF files.  We have no indication that this is a file assocation issue.   If it is, that would be revealed by Bob answering my question about the title bar.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 09:17:17 AM »
When you open the file and it appears this way, look at your title bar.  Does it say Notepad or Wordpad?
The title bar, Bob, the title bar.  What's your answer?

Bobh

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
soybean -
You are right , when I get the download you sent into "documents" I can click on "open" and get the unreadable.  I never noticed the title line before but it has:   Document.rtf - Notepad
I don't know how it got in Notepad I never saw it before.       Bob
PS  sorry it took so long.  I had to stop and mow the lawn.
What do I do now?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »
Open My Computer, select Tools, Folder Options, File Types
See pic below.
Change association for rtf from NotePad to WordPad
Notice that mine is MSWord.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

soybean

Genius
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 02:25:28 PM »
You are right , when I get the download you sent into "documents" I can click on "open" and get the unreadable.  I never noticed the title line before but it has:   Document.rtf - Notepad
I don't know how it got in Notepad I never saw it before.     
Both WordPad and Notepad are part of all Microsoft Windows systems; they has been true since Windows 95, perhaps even eariler.  Many computer users will also have other programs installed for word processing such as Microsoft Office or OpenOffice.  Usually, Windows knows the correct program to use to open a file opened from a Windows Explorer window when the file is opened by double left clicking on it or by right clicking on it and selecting Open.  This is referred to as "file association".  In other words, Windows associates a particular program with each file type and, by defualt, uses that program to open a file from  Windows Explorer in the manner I just described.  But, sometimes, the file association gets mixed up or incorrectly set and needs to be changed.  Computer_Commando explained the procedure but I see he's using Windows XP and I believe you're using Windows 7.  So, I'll explain the procedure for Windows 7.

This can be started from Computer or a Windows Explorer window or Documents.  I'll lead you through the procedure starting from inside Documents; I'm assuming you save all your files in Documents. 
> Open Documents
> Right click on an RTF (Rick Text Format) file
> Select Properties (see attached image)
> Click the Change button (see attached image #2)
> Select WordPad, since this is for an RTF file [my image shows MS Word since I have it, but you want WordPad]
> Click OK and close the panel

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »
...Computer_Commando explained the procedure but I see he's using Windows XP and I believe you're using Windows 7.  So, I'll explain the procedure for Windows 7...
I am using XP, OP is using Vista.  But your procedure works for all.

WordPad has been around since Win95.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordPad

soybean

Genius
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
I am using XP, OP is using Vista.  But your procedure works for all.

Ah, OK, I wasn't sure and didn't take time to start my Win XP comp to check it. 

Bobh

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »
soybean -
I am amazed!!   I'm always amazed when something works like it should.  You solved my problem and I thank you.  This can now be marked completed.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 10:03:55 PM »
We love satisfied customers...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "