Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error Message 80071A91 when I try to install a Windows Update  (Read 9652 times)

ShirleyN

I've tried everything I know how and would like to fix this without taking it for repair. All Microsoft instructions leave me at a dead end.

One possible cause: "...after System Restore is performed (a long time ago) the Common Log File System (CLFS) transaction logs may be left in an inconsistent state." The "fix it" doesn't seem to work. Please help. Thanks

ShirleyN

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Error Message 80071A91 when I try to install a Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:25 AM »
Hi ShirleyN,

Welcome to Computer Hope!

Did you mean 0x80071A91 ? If yes, I just found this solution in Google.

Windows Update Error 0x80071A91

The error code 0x80071A91 translates to " Transaction support within the specified file system resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an error.” Now I know that doesn’t mean much to the common user, but it gives us some insight as to the failure you’re experiencing.

In an effort to resolve this issue I recommend you run the following command. This will in essence reset the File System Resource Manager (FSRM), and should resolve the issue with the failed updates.

If this does not resolve you present update error please let us know. Also, keep in mind that if one update in a group fails all the updates will fail with one error code. Thus, it may be to your benefit to attempt installing those updates one at a time to see if the problem is restricted to a particular update.

How-to reset the File System Resource Manager if you receive error 0x80071A91

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.

2.     In the Command Prompt window you will need to type the following, and press ENTER:

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

3.     Note: You will need to replace the C:\ with the drive letter that Windows Vista is installed on.

4.     Restart your computer, and then attempt to install the failed update(s).

source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/error-code-80071a91/27a21977-f964-4376-bfab-2f29ea127c6a