Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hopebot chat search  (Read 10473 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Hopebot chat search
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:07:53 AM »
Lostcoast pointed out that hopebot search was not working. Unfortunately looks like the search I was using got deprecated so going to go back to Google search API and hopefully that doesn't get deprecated again. Hopefully third time is a charm.

Also, while doing this added a TinyURL feature so long URL's will be shortened if posted in the chat. Should hopefully help with when users post long URL's that are multiple lines into the chat.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hopebot chat search
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:34:51 AM »
Also, while doing this added a TinyURL feature so long URL's will be shortened if posted in the chat. Should hopefully help with when users post long URL's that are multiple lines into the chat.

For a future version you could make it use the API for http://www.unshorten.it/, which can unshorten URLs from any site (not just tinyurl)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:37:13 AM »
I don't think we'd want to have unshortened links in chat IMO, some long links that are several lines long can really clog up the chat. But when trying the website out (which is cool) I did think that the having a WOT API added would be helpful so it could report any links posted in chat that are bad. Will add it to my todo list. ;)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
How about adding something like pastebin API ?? when someone who is not aware of pastebin feature pastes a huge para or something from another website, it shld automatically create a pastebin url and post on the chat replacing the para pasted. Is it even possible ?? :P