Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opera help: Where do I locate Browser JavaScript setting  (Read 7432 times)

truenorth

Guru

Re: Opera help: Where do I locate Browser JavaScript setting
    « Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »
    Just before you exit the stage left. As was noted by soybean in a previous post on your thread i had referred to a "nonexistent" version of Opera. It occurred to me after that even though memory is spiraling downward on me i was absolutely certain i had upgraded something on Opera within the past 2 weeks as a result of a notification from them. It was on the very same day i received a notification from Avira (my associated anti virus program ) that they were issuing a a new upgrade on it. The Avira upgrade is irrelevant to your issue but it was what reminded me that THERE had been a very recent advisory from Opera on some update. Compare your build edition with mine as stated above. Of course it is absolutely your choice to use whatever browser you like the most or seems to serve your needs the best. But i am a great fan of Opera and though it is a bit different than others i believe it is worth learning and has many fine usable features. So i hate to see you give up on it. On another computer i am just trying out "Sea Monkey" (also a Mozilla browser) but too early to fairly venture any comments. truenorth

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »
      Thank you truenorth. I think of Opera most every day when IE or FF is slow. I don't understand why they are slow one day and fast the next, not as bad as Opera was for me. . I keep them clean, cache,, etc.Ran CCleaner and swept the C drive empty space 3 times.  I am thinking today to try an older Opera than the one just 2 below 11.50. I think I need to do more cleaning for 11.50 to run satisfactorily on my machine. When 11.50 is a little older I want to try it again. I think there are some bugs in it that will be fixed as did Mozilla with FF ver. 4. Does Opera have the password save feature that FF has. It saves the ID's and passwords and when I need them I just type the first letter of ID and it fills in the ID and password. It has a tab layer feature that looks good for me, too.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
        In response to your question"Does Opera have the password save feature" I am including this link as not only does it answer that specific
        question but many others as well. Your concern seems to be based in the Opera browser being too slow (but it seems that is also a problem with your other browsers as well). Are other elements of your computer usage also slow? Such as programs you use. There are many things that can cause a computer to be slow. Some within the computer some external such as your ISP connection mode and speed.Internal things can be the number of processes running. Insufficient amount of RAM. Badly fragmented harddrive. A harddrive that is chock a block and needs either more HDD space or an additional or greater capacity HDD. The causes are by no means limited to only the examples i have given. Is this a relatively new phenomenon (the slowness)? Can you relate to an event or circumstance where you "suddenly" noted the appearance of this slowness? 

http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/intro/speed/
        truenorth

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
          Thank you for the link. I have 2.5 GB RAM, high speed DSL ISP, in fact Opera stated I did not need Turbo. I also have 22% free disk space. I use IObit Game Booster most of the tome as i usually am on Webkinz and or related sites. I keep it clean. Yesterday I just did a free space sweep on C drive. Most All my drives are old, 2001 even though my machine is 2005. I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP SP3. It is set to auto update. My next step is to update the drives but I have many questions about that. I found Softpedia has a good selection of drivers but i don't know if that is the best free driver site. I will need to commit to a day or 2 to tackle the driver updates. I contacted Dell last fall thinking I was getting updated drivers but they actually were the same old drivers that were already on the machine. There are some drivers that need to be removed before start updating from my earlier attempts to update using DriverMax. Two days ago suddenly during a reboot Genesis by Dell appeared on my screen. This put me on the trail once again to find newer drives. I printed out the list of outdated drives which look like most of them, hardware drives. I am also having some graphics issues that have bothered me for a few months now, like the heavy trailing of one window when dragged across another.
          The problem with Opera on my machine is that it was not consistent. At times a site would load properly then the nest time it loaded incorrectly. Each time I would try to use one it just was not consistently loading correctly along with other quirky problems. I have Avast and do run Malwarebyte regularly. I regularly run TweakNow PowerPack 2011 SP2 and they are all updated with each use. I have a really good machine that just needs some updating. I reinstalled the OS last fall. Which caused some major problems. It took me a while to get it back to where I wanted it and it still is not performing as it did. You can read about that in some of my earlier posts.  Thank you for your help and concern. I can tackle only one thing at a time and I am now not ready to work on it for a little while.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 08:12:16 AM »
            A very comprehensive report on your computer and your evolution re it's use. You seem to realize some of the areas that you can devote some time to to possibly improve the performance and intend to get to them when time constraints permit. That is good. From your last post i would comment on 2 parts "22% free disk space"-- that is getting to a pretty low proportion and in itself can be a factor of the computers sluggishness. "tackle only one thing at a time" When you do get around to doing things this is a good way to go. By doing only one thing at a time (be it driver updates or hardware changes) as you can monitor the result of the immediate change of the "one" thing rather than have a problem arise and because many things were done together NOT know what caused the adversity. I don't know what your max ram for your computer is. Either the specs of it or a "Crucial " scan will tell you that. But it is generally believed that where speed is an issue RAM returns the best bang for the buck. DSL should give you the ISP speed you need unless it is erratic. You might want to consider (where possible ) changing your updates from "automatic" to custom (where you determine which and when you install). I find that today there are so many sources of program updates that are constantly playing touchy feely with one's computer that instituting some control on that can reduce the intrusions on computer performance (particularly on older computers). Good luck,truenorth