Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC keeps dropping the internet  (Read 3580 times)

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    PC keeps dropping the internet
    « on: July 24, 2011, 09:47:58 PM »
    My wife's PC drops its internet connection after an hour or two have passed. There are no warnings or windows to give any hint of why this is happening. The internet is restored upon rebooting.

I recently went through a reinstall of Windows XP (sp3) on this system. This desktop computer is wireless and linked to my PC which is connected via FIOS to the web.

She is using a Linksys Wireless G PCI adapter which indicates that the signal is very strong, whether connected to the internet or not.

Could anyone give me some instructions as to how to track down this problem?

Details: AMD Athlon 64 3500 2200 MHZ , 2x nVidia 7800 GTX video, 2048 meg memory, ASUS A8N-SLI mb

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC keeps dropping the internet
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:42:23 PM »
    Most likely problem is hardware. PCI wireless adapters are now at a low prince. Or even a USB adapter

You have a strong signal, oi could use a USB adapter. That would be a quick way to find out.  When you have two adapters in a PC, one should be disabled.

You can pick up a suitable adapter for under $26. You don't need to pay more. The extra features are not needed for internet aces with strong signal. Just get one of the economical ones. That should solve the problem.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 01:12:36 AM »
    A free suggestion would be to check for any 3rd party firewall installed and posting other protection softwares running on the PC.
    This desktop computer is wireless and linked to my PC which is connected via FIOS to the web
    Please be more clear on how and what devices(modem/router) they are connected?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:23:42 AM »
    connected via FIOS

He has Verizon FIOS.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:40:34 AM »
    He has Verizon FIOS.
    I see the Verizon FIOS. :)
    This desktop computer is wireless and linked to my PC which is connected via FIOS to the web
    I am not cleared up on that. Where the desktop with wireless adapter should be directly accessing the FIOS modem/router.?

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:46:35 AM »
      All I know is that the wireless router receives a signal from the router on my main PC, which is wired.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:48:14 AM »
        Geek - so you are saying that I should buy a USB wireless router, take out the PCI card and put this router into a USB port?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 09:13:38 AM »
        Maybe we a re getting lost on terminology.
        A router is often a stand-alone device that is between any PC and the modem.
        The PC is called the client. And any adapters that physical plug into, or are part of the PC are part of the client hardware. We don't call them routers.
        However, you are using Verizon FIOS, and we a re not sure of how it shares the connection with multiple PCs In other words, the topography of you system may be the reason the connection is not reliable. But without knowing, we are guessing. Here is a simple diagram of what we might assume:
        Code: [Select]
        Internet via Verizon
          |
        FIOS device(modem) -->>wireless router -->>PC via direct wire
                                     |---->>Laptop via internal wireless
                                     |---->>Desktop via wireless PCI

Does that come close?
        I was thinking  the PCI device in the desktop has gone bad. But I was making then assumption your  layout was like the above.

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »
          It's like this:

FIOS Internet
                   |
                   V
          FIOS Modem
                   |
                   V
          Desktop direct wire PC
                   |
                   V
          Desktop via wireless PCI

This system never had a connection problem prior to my reinstalling Windows XP two weeks ago.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 12:14:26 AM »
          You are using a combo wireless router/modem which the desktop with wireless adapter is connecting. And so the other desktop is wired to the combo router. Since there is connection established on the wireless desktop and suddenly drops, the first thing to look here is distance and inteference. Distance - Consider moving first atleast in one room the wireless Desktop to confirm the problem.
          Interference - Isolate the Desktop from any type of electronic appliances. Radio signal, Cordless phone, Microwave oven.
          Consider using/reading  the manual that came with your router in any case that your connection is not secured. Also, please provide all protection softwares installed such as firewall, antivirus, spyware,scanners.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:11 AM »
          This system never had a connection problem prior to my reinstalling Windows XP two weeks ago.

Did you remember to re-install all the drivers...most notably the MBoard chipset drivers ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "