Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet explorer  (Read 10860 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: internet explorer
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:22 AM »
i went out of there and checked how  much space was left on my c drive and it was at 285MB it's a 3.GB drive ...
You're gonna have problems until you upgrade to a larger hard drive.  Knowing that you only have 285MB of free space, I'd say you will not be able to install the Service Packs for Windows XP.  I don't know how your computer is even functioning with only a 3GB HD.  In fact, I have to suspect you may be incorrect in the overall size of the hard drive.   If you open My Computer, what drives do you see listed there, and what does it show for total size?

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »
    ok I installed sp1 and this is what happened it said install shieldwizard called driver detective when i clicked on download windows xp.sp1. while installing a window came up and said the installation of microsoft.net framework 2.0 (x86) appears to have failed. Do you want to continue installation. So i put no right cause it failed Then I tried from the lets get started button and it downloaded then but I put save instead of open and and installing the same box came up so I was trying it agian the install line goes all the way and then the green dotted line travals through the line awhile then the same box comes up this time I pushed continue installation I put yes  Then I tried to download avast free anti virus 6.0 1203 and a box came came up saying An error 8(00000081 has occured last performed application was exstracting files.  Then I tried AVG and it downloadedon open not save Then a box said This application failed to iniciate properly (oxe00012di) click on o.k. to terminate the application and on top it said dwwln.exe application error How do I clear up some space on my memory besides disk  cleanup I had 122 mb I did disk cleanup and now I have 340mb

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
      microsoft windows xp professional version 2002 Intel pentium lll processor 501mhz 256mb of ram I have a F drive with 4,80gb free

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
        my computer says drive c and it's capacity is 3.41gb and drive f and it's capacity is 6.83gb and drive d is my cd rom and my documents properties is size 53.7mb size on disk is 18.4mb contains 65 files and 4 folders

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
        microsoft windows xp professional version 2002 Intel pentium lll processor 501mhz 256mb of ram I have a F drive with 4,80gb free
        This indicates the computer is 10 years old.  Even adding RAM & a larger hard drive, expect it to run slowly.  The WinXP service packs & latest antivirus's & anti-spywares need more power than your computer provides.  I've retired my Pentium III's & II's to non-internet use.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »
          By the questions soybean and myself have asked previously and now with Computer Commando's pronouncement your issue takes on a whole new light. What is being said is you are using a very old computer. The consequences of that are that it is not practical to upgrade the hardware that were it Not so old would allow you to upgrade your XP operating system hardware (service packs 1-3 etc) and get your computer performing better. Your basic problem at the moment is that your harddrive capacity as reflected in your 2 drives is NOT really adequate to run your operating system and have enough remaining to allow you to do very much. I would still be interested in your reply to my question (which was going to allow me to do some research on what you have on your computer and what upgrades may be possible)--so once again what is the make and model of your computer? If your circumstances permit this may be an appropriate time for you to consider a computer replacement.truenorth

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
          If a computer replacement is feasible at this time, I suggest this: Compaq - Presario Desktop / AMD Athlon™ II Processor / 2GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive.  $320 retail price.  This is the computer only.  You'd need to use your current mouse, keyboard, and monitor, or replace them too.  I believe this computer has no PS/2 connetors, which I'd guess is what your current mouse and keyboard use.  If true, then you would need to get a USB mouse and keyboard.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »
          That's a good suggestion.  BTW, it has PS2 connectors for keyboard & mouse.  Pic shows a 56k modem, specs don't mention it.

Here's one for $280
          http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Desktop+/+AMD+E-Series+Processor+/+3GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/2670346.p?id=1218343209613&skuId=2670346

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
          256Mg of RAM may be factoring into this...as well as limited HDD space.
          Your asking a machine to do what it wasn't built for...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 08:36:01 PM »
            well my computer is hewlett packard i'm not sure what you mean thats on the outside of my computer box however I got the answer i needed now i just use netscape  to go to aol and facebook cause really thats the most sites I go to there are a few others but those are the main ones so getting or using another browser helped even if it is slower thats ok so thank you so much for helping me really tell mewhat it is you want to know and i'll come back and see if i can tell you if i understand your question ok thanks agian
            betty

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
            Since Netscape is now a subsidiary of AOL, their browser is the only one that will function with AOL.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
            Since Netscape is now a subsidiary of AOL, their browser is the only one that will function with AOL.
            Nothing here about having to use Netscape: What are the minimum system requirements for Classic AOL Mail?  And besides, I can't imagine Netscape browser being required to use AOL mail.  AOL stopped supporting the Netscape browser years ago.

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »
              well I quess you all were correct as i can no longer go on netscape so i quess i need a new computer If I went to a store to buy a good resonable desktop what would you suggest please and thank you for your help
              betty

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
              Did you read reply #21 and 22?  We gave you two good suggestions and posted links to them on Best Buy's website. If I were buying one of them, I'd probably pick the one I posted because I believe it has a little better processor.  But, I think either of them will work fine for you.

carro278

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »
                well i am on my way to best buy so the next time i talk to you i will be on my new computer thank you all