Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RED TONE  (Read 4668 times)

drl

RED TONE
« on: June 30, 2004, 07:24:57 PM »
I am a complete computer idiot so I decided to join this forum.  My monitor does not show any red colors- It has lost the red tone.  Is this strictly a problem with my monitor, or could my computer have something to do with it?

MalikTous

Re: RED TONE
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 09:09:22 PM »
If your monitor shows one of those 'Signal Lost, Check Cable' things when you unplug the cable from the PC's video port, check that object to see if it also shows loss of red. If so, have the red driver in the video circuitry fixed or replace the monitor. (You can still use that monitor as a text only display on a secondary card...)

If the little signal lost thing has full colours or you don't have one, move the connected cable about behind the PC and make sure it is firmly socketted. If the red flickers in and out then, you have either a loose or bent plug pin, a broken signal wire in the cable, or a failing video card solder joint at its connector.

Unplug the video signal plug and inspect it for bent pins. If one is bent, you can try to slowly and gently put it back to its right position. If this is impossible without breaking it, you can get 'crimp on' video connectors at Radio Shark or other electronics stores (15 pin high density VGA plug), or solder ones if you're good at that.

With the PC shut down and unplugged, remove the graphics card and closely inspect the connector pin solder joins for cracks. A bright light and a magnifier are very helpful. Reheat and resolder them if they look questionable - only if you have the proper skills. Have a shop do it if you aren't skilled with electronics, or replace the card.

If nothing brings the red signal back, try another monitor. If it also shows poor red, replace the graphics card. If it shows normally, replace the red-less monitor.

chade

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 09:49:41 PM »
Good answer Maliktous.

Firstly though, if you have a spare monitor lying around, plug it in.  Alternately, if you have a second computer lying around (even an old one thats been sitting in the corner), plug the monitor into that.  At least that way you're narrowing down your problem from the start - you may not want to go around messing with your graphics card if the monitor is definitely the problem.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 04:12:15 AM »
One way to get rid of the red colour in your monitor is by holding a magnet near it. (It'll most likely turn yellow. From my experience.)

Any magnetic devices that could be interfering?

merlin

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 04:28:47 PM »
what monitor is this and have you got the right drivers for it?