Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New malware secretly uninstalls your Antivirus and then takes its place  (Read 8347 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
The following is a direct cut and paste of a post by Grinler, the owner and admin of Bleeping Computer. I think it's important enough to reproduce here:

Security researcher Xylitol recently wrote an article   about a new malware that performs some tricks to make you think your   computer is running normally, when it is in fact infected with a variety   of malware. Typically when a brand new computer infection is released,   your antivirus program is hard-pressed to update its malware database   fast enough to protect you from it. Even if the malware is installed   before your antivirus can detect it, the hopes are that once the malware   is added to the security software's virus database, it will then be   detected and removed.
What is a malware to do then to protect   itself from this tactic? Most malware  will terminate known antivirus   programs and other security programs when they are started. This,   though, can quickly become suspicious when various programs you try to   run are immediately terminated. This new malware offers a sneakier   solution; simply uninstall the antivirus software installed on the   computer and then run a malware that pretends to be it. This is exactly   what Xylitol found when researching a new Trojan that has been labeled   Trojan.FakeAV.LVT.
Xylitol reports that the Trojan.FakeAV.LVT arrives on the system as the filename flash-player.exe.   The file is probably named this way to trick people into thinking it is   related to Adobe Flash. Once run, it will perform a network test by   connecting to a variety of sites such as youtube.com, wikipedia.org, etc   to see if you have a Internet connection. It will then download further   files and the will search your computer for specific antivirus programs   that may be installed. If it detects a antivirus program it will then   reboot your computer into safe mode where it uninstalls your current the   antivirus program. When it is done uninstalling your antivirus software   it will reboot back into normal Windows mode and display alerts that   appear to be from your security software so that you think it is still   installed and working properly.
Xylitol reports that it currently detects and uninstalls the following antivirus programs:

Agava FirewallAvastMicrosoft Security EssentialsKaspersky Internet Security 7Kaspersky Internet Security 2009Kaspersky Internet Security 2010Kaspersky Internet Security 2011Kaspersky Anti-virus 7Kaspersky Anti-virus 2009Kaspersky Anti-virus 2010Kaspersky Anti-virus 2011AVG Anti-VirusAnvira AntiVirComodoMcAfeeMicrosoft DefenderESET NOD32 AntivirusESET Smart SecurityDr. WebNorton AntivirusOutpost FirewallPanda Antivirus  

When I was testing a sample of this malware,   I installed a copy of Microsoft Security Essentials and then ran the   computer infection. Once the malware started, it quickly displayed an   alert with the message "System error! Access denied.",   which it is assumed was meant to trick the computer user into thinking   that there was a problem running the flash-player.exe program.

System error! Access denied message from flash-player.exe height=110
  After some time, the computer was rebooted   and started in Windows Safe Mode. While in safe mode it proceeded to   uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials and then rebooted back normal   mode. Once the computer was rebooted and I was logged in, it displayed   an icon (Fake Microsoft Security Essentials Alert icon height=21)   in the Windows taskbar that was the same, if not similar, to the icon   for the antivirus software that was previously installed. When I clicked   on the icon it displayed the following image and text:

Fake Microsoft Security Essentials Enhanced Protection Mode height=362
Microsoft Security Essentials
      Enhanced Protection Mode

Attention!
      Microsoft Security Essentials operates under enhanced protection   mode. This is a temporary measure necessary for immediate response to   the threat from virus.
      No action is required from you.
  To further trick you into thinking   that your antivirus program is running normally, it will also randomly   display fake update messages stating that your program was updated. The   text of this message will be similar to:  Microsoft Security Essentials
      Release date of the anti-virus databases:
    03/08/11 1:11:29PM
    Your system is protected.
When examining the files that this malware installed I see that it installed three different legitimate Bitcoin Miners called Phoenix, RPC, and UFA.   Bitcoins are an online currency that currently has a monetary value of   13 USD per Bitcoin. Though these programs are legitimate, they are being   used by the malware developer to generate, or mine, Bitcoins for the   developer while using your computer's CPU processing power. The program   that pretends to be your antivirus software was installed as C:\WINDOWS\update.tray-14-0\svchost.exe,   though this path may change per installation. This program also   downloads a variety of other malware such as the ZeroAccess rootkit.   Last, but not least, the downloader also generates a variety of files in   the C:\Windows folder that include:
  • Various malware files - Named sysdriver32_.exe, sysdriver32.exe, and l1rezerv.exe. It also generated hidden folders named C:\Windows\update. that contain more malware 
  • unrar.exe - A legitimate unrar program for extracting the Bitcoin miners. 
  • phoenix.rar - A legitimate Bitcoing miner. 
  • ufa.rar - A legitimate Bitcoing miner.   
  • rpcminer.rar - A legitimate Bitcoing miner. 
  • geoiplist - A list that can be used to determine an infected computers geographic location based on its IP address.
  • proc_list1.log - A list of processes running on their computer and their associated process IDs. 
  • iplist.txt   - Xylitol states that this is a list of IP addresses for other infected   computers. There were 766 IP addresses listed in this text file.
  Without a doubt this malware is a  nasty   piece of work, but does introduce some interesting methods of income   generation and protection routines used by the malware developer and   their software. The infection itself, and its downloads, are by   themselves not very difficult to remove. Unfortunately, though, it   appears to be bundling the ZeroAccess rootkit, which is much harder to   remove. Running TDSSKiller   may remove the driver portion of the rootkit, but not all of the   infection, and thus you may be left with a machine that is partially   cleaned.
Therefore, it is recommend that if you are infected with this malware to ask for help   in our Virus Removal forum to receive free one-on-one help in cleaning   your machine. Furthermore, I have seen many virus removal blogs stating   that all you need to do is run various programs such as Spyware Doctor,   MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Hitman Pro, etc to clean your computer   of this infection. Though these programs are all legitimate, the   instructions given will not work, so please do not purchase anything in   the hopes of a one-shot fix to remove this infection and the ZeroAccess   rootkit. It is for this reasons that we are not writing a removal guide   for this infection as there is no easy and simple method to remove it   all.
Thanks to Xylitol for the great writeup at his blog!

Salmon Trout

I'm so glad I use Firefox with NosScript.

truenorth

Guru

Thank's for the heads up Allan. For the moment i am not using any of the products mentioned.truenorth

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    My laptop has Microsoft Security Essentials (primary), SUPERAntiSpyware (backup - secondary), and Malwarebytes (backup - tertiary). Plus Untangle (firewall) within our network.

My desktop has Avira AntiVir Personal (primary), SUPERAntiSpyware (backup - secondary), and Malwarebytes (backup - tertiary). Plus Comodo Internet Security (firewall).

Thanks for the post Allan!

Salmon Trout

Also thank goodness I make bi-weekly rotating image backups to each of three external hard drives. And use Mike Lin's Startup Monitor

Also a pointer...

Quote from: Comment on Xylitol
    This malware is using email as the vector

So watch out for strange emails. It does sound as if there is a lot that people can do to protect themselves, mostly sensible things that should be done anyway.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:51:05 AM by Salmon Trout »