Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I Think I May Have Slowed Our Internet?  (Read 8385 times)

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    I Think I May Have Slowed Our Internet?
    « on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
    Okay, for background information;

We have a cable modem hooked up to a very old computer from 2000. We then hooked up a wireless router to the modem as well, and all was great for several years. In fact, I am on my laptop using Wi-Fi from our router as I am posting this.

Current Situation;

I decided to work on the computer that our modem was hooked to(As it had not been turned on in years since we have a different desktop in a different room). I decided to completely whip the computer and use the recovery disc that came with the computer to restore it to factory state. I did so, and was very successful. Internet works on that computer, and on all the devices and other computers who access internet via Wi-Fi from our wireless router which is connected to the modem on the old computer I restored. The issue is; Now it seems as though my internet is slower. Before messing with the old computer I typically had 3-4/5 bars of Wi-Fi and could easily watch a YouTube video in standard definition and never have to wait for buffer. After I fixed the old computer I still have 3-4/5 bars of Wi-Fi but I can only watch 3 seconds of youtube video before I have to wait 2 minutes to load the next 3 seconds...Also things that would have previously taken a few seconds to download now take a few minutes. Web pages still load fast, but they load noticebly slower than compared to before I fixed the old computer. I was wondering if I could have screwed up our internet somehow and slowed it down when fixing the old computer.

I never unhooked anything when I restored our old computer. I simply whipped it entirely clean by booting dban from a disc. Then I put the restore disc that came with the computer and it reinstalled Windows XP and all the stuff that was on it when it came from the factory. (I run Windows 7 on all PC's in the house...This being so old it has XP.) Anyway, my question is; Did I slow our internet down somehow? If I did how can I fix it? -OR- Is this just rotten luck attributed to the provider or weather.

P.S. I have tried resetting our wireless router, restarting my laptop, disconnecting from the internet and reconnecting, and simply waiting a few hours to see if it fixes itself. I know the issue is NOT my laptop. The busy light is never on while buffering videos, and all my offline music, video, and games run perfectly fine(And fast mind you). It seems to be the connection itself as even my Xbox360, 3DS, and Wii have to buffer video and take longer to load things from the web.

Thanks for any help in advance. =)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I Think I May Have Slowed Our Internet?
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:40:57 PM »
    We have a cable modem hooked up to a very old computer from 2000. We then hooked up a wireless router to the modem as well, and all was great for several years. In fact, I am on my laptop using Wi-Fi from our router as I am posting this.

1.) The modem ad the old computer had a technical relationship. When you restored the PC using the recovery disc, the information  was lost. Now the old PC looks like a bandit. You need to talk to the service provider and tell them what you did.

2.) Internet settings are not 'built-in' to the operations system. They have to be set up by a user or a program that works with the local ISP and the type of modem and/or the type of router. You have to run the 'internet wizard' or 'network wizard' again to get the right settings.

When a computer gets old, the maintenance is usually cleaning out the dust and running a check disk programs. On most modern hard drives, the MS chkdsk  is all that is needed to 'refresh' the files system and verify the drive integrity.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »
      Thanks for your reply. I have a few questions as to what I need to do to fix this issue. So you say my old computer had a "technical relationship" with my modem? In order to restore this what must I do? Also, I have internet from said modem/computer/wireless router it's just not quite as fast as before(Just making sure you have this info so there is no confusion later on).

Okay, so how do I restore this relationship, and how can I open the internet wizard you mentioned. Upon restoring it had me pick between three phone numbers to use to connect to the internet, perhaps I picked the wrong one?? I just went with default for everything.

Forgive my noobness, I am still learning. Thanks for you patience and help.

~Sage Raziel

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:09:17 PM »
        Also, I should mention when the modem was set up it was simply plugged in, and the internet connection was tested. I never adjusted any setting originally when it was set up(And this was in 2000). I was wondering if resetting the modem and the router would perhaps solve the issue, or is that would just make matters worse...

Also still wondering about the questions from my previous post.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. I was getting worried I'd never have my old internet speed back. With your help I hope we can fix it.

~Sage Raziel

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:58 PM »
        Well, There is not much I would add.
        You need to know how the ISP wants the system setup.For example, in a simple cable modem PC connection, the modem looks for the MAC address of the first computer it finds.That would be the key for that system to work.
        But another ISP may have a different way to make sure the modem is being used by the right person. There may be some kind of password thing the starts things. This information may be knot in plain view.
        You have to contact your local ISP. The information varies from one company to another and even by region or neighborhood.
        Who installed then router? do you remember how it was done? In some cases, the router must know the MAC address of the original PC. In not, performance may be un predictable.
        Sorry I can not outline all the permutations of what goes wrong. But in the control panel you can find network wizard, internet settings, and internet connections, add a home network.
        In Windows networking toucan start over again and define the network all over again.
        There should be some material from the ISP from when the system was first set up.

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »
          It's very late here, and I have to get to bed soon because I have work tomorrow. However, I will be attempting to fix it tomorrow. So your top recommendation is to contact my service provider? We've had suddenlink since we first bought a computer way back when. We rented our modem in 2000 when we got the new computer, we rented it for so long the place we were renting form just gave it to us.

I'm amazed how it worked perfectly before, then restoring the computer it was hooked to slowed it down. X_X I always figured if it did mess it up it would disconnect it entirely, but nope. Works fine, just much slower now. Tomorrow I will explore my control panel and see if I can find internet/network wizards and attempt to fix it again. I will also call Suddenlink and see what they can say, but normally they have no idea what's wrong and they have to send someone to look at it.

I'll keep in contact and keep you updated as the situation develops.

Thanks again for the help.

~Sage Raziel

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:33:30 PM »
          Try removing the old PC from the Home network and see if it makes a difference. Also, try browsing and streaming videos with only the laptop to verify if its the ISP connection or any other issue is involved.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:12:25 AM »
          I just now recall. In 2000 most people were on  an older version of XP. Your system was likely updated progressively with the updates. But a fresh install wipes out the up dates! There wee some important changes to MS  internet protocol drivers during that time period.

So, that means you need SP1, SP2 and SP3 to be up to date!
          And yes, and important change to the TCP/IP stack was made. That could really annoy the router! Likely the router is more up to date.
          Sorry, I am a little slow. Can't always recall what happened when.

Brokel

Rookie

• Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 03:45:01 AM »
          http://www.speedtest.net/

go there take a speed test see what it is running at .
          than get the router Ip and the ip of your modrem
          your modem and router should have a setup option fallow the promps and reset them up , that should fix any lag issues you are having ..
          hope this helps ..
          Fight for a free world use Linux .

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:11:54 AM »
            Okay the SpeedTest website would not load, it kept saying "Connection Timed Out". I refreshed and tried many times, I'm assuming it's just a high server load because I've never had any issues with not being able to load a site. (Even now with slow internet everything loads...Just a bit slower.)

So before I go through the daunting task of dealing with SuddenLink I'm going to try updating Windows XP.

Also, I was reminded that the modem may have come with a disc. I'm in the process of locating that disc now. Could that be the problem; I did not use the disc this time? I will post the information on the disc as soon as I find it to see if it is important, or if it's just a load of 3rd party crap.

Thanks again guys. I'd be lost without this forum.

~Sage Raziel

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
              Okay, I have found the disc. Below is EXACTLY what it says on the disc cover.

==========================================================
              WebStar Cable Modem

Scientific Atlanta

For PC and Macintosh

Contents:
              -USB Drivers for Windows
              -DPX Series Cable Modem Users Guide
              -About Scientific Atlanta
              -Troubleshooting Tips
              -Adobe Acrobat Reader
              =============================================================

No idea what's on the disc yet. I'm updating Windows at the moment so I can't try it out. My internet connection being so slow will make my Windows update take forever. =/

~Sage Raziel

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:06:35 PM »
                Sorry this is taking so long. I started the downloads for Windows XP Service Pack 2 & 3 this morning and it's still not finished. I have been keeping a close eye on my download speed throughout the day to provide some sort of benchmark. I disconnected ALL devices in my home from the internet accept the computer to which the modem is hooked up. My minimum download speed is about 9 KB/sec and my max is about 17KB/sec.

It will take me forever to download these service packs, so I might not get back here for a day or so. Rest assured I will return when I have finished downloading and installing these service packs to update everyone here on the situation and to move on to the next steps to fix my connection if that need be.

Thanks for all your help guys.

~Sage Raziel

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                « Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:19 PM »
                How are the newer computers running on the internet? I think you need to establish first if its just the older one is slow or the whole network. What is your subscribed connection speed? Your first post seems to have a higher speed as compared to your last post.
                WebStar Cable Modem
                Try looking here for the Manual and look on how to configure your modem. http://help.cableone.net/HSD/Modem/PDF/DPC2100.pdf

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 12:37:36 AM »
                  Already did that. It said to simply plug it in to my USB port and follow the steps of the wizard. (Which I did upon restoring my computer.)

I do have a very interesting addition to add to the story, however;

I have cured the slow internet problem by turning off my old computer, unplugging the cable modem, and the wireless router. (All three things COMPLETELY shut down and turned off.) I then plugged them all back up. Now all my devices receiving wireless internet are actually a bit faster than before =)

Downside, now the old computer is not receiving ANY internet at all.....No idea why it turned out that way, but it did. The wireless router is working, but the modem is not providing internet to the computer it's hooked to. So, any suggestions on how to fix it without loosing speed?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                  « Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »
                  Where was the old computer hooked up when connection got crawled? Ain't the wireless router with available ports for the old PC to hook up by LAN cable? The modem's ethernet port should hook up with the wireless router port.Now if the wireless router has LAN ports(usually 4), you could just then connect the PC directly. You shoud use Ethernet port, not USB port, although both are available from the manual I read. From what I understand here is you are hooking the old PC directly to the modem's usb port and then using the the other one for the wireless, right?

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
                    The old computer was never unhooked from the router or the modem, which is what's got me confused. It works, then it didn't and nothing was unhooked or anything.

The old computer is hooked via USB to the cable modem. Then the wireless router is hooked to the cable modem.

Are you suggesting that I could completely unhook my modem and simply plug the router up???

The reason we needed the modem was for the cable line to hook into to provide internet.

~Sage Raziel

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                    « Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
                    You can't use both the USB connection & the LAN connection on the cable modem, at the same time.  The router connects to the ethernet port on the modem, all computers connect to the router.  NO USB.

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
                      Obviously there was a misunderstanding here...My Modem connects USB, the router connects to the Modem. No use in telling me that's not how it works because A.) The manual shows a nice big pretty picture of how it connects B.) I've had SuddenLink folks here before to fix something and they hooked it back up the same way it was before(USB) C.) It worked perfectly fine just how it's hooked up for the better part of 11 years.

My issue has to be some software or setting problem because I haven't unhooked or changed ANY hardware in any way shape or form in the past 11 years. All I did was wipe my old computer and restore it using the restore disc it came with. So I know nothing is hooked up wrong, just maybe set up wrong.

Anyway, thanks for trying. I'm not chewing you out(So please don't think I was trying to be hostile). I was simply trying to update you on my situation quickly. I may be misunderstanding you, the way I read that you were telling me I hooked it up wrong, or that what I had said was impossible.

Anyway, I've been reading most of the day through countless forums and links and thus far have found nothing. I did run a Network Diagnostics Test and nothing failed. When I do try to repair the connection it attempts to renew my IP address and then fails. The error message is a simple, "The IP Address Could Not Be Renewed" or something to that effect. I've ran cmd.exe and given the command ipconfig/all and it had no effect on my problem.

I am entirely clueless on how to fix this. I have internet on all my other devices, so it's not crucial I fix this(As I went 9 years without ever turning the old PC on), but after investing so much time into it I feel it would be a waste to give up now. Any suggestions on what to do next would be great.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted here trying to help me out. I really do appreciate ALL the posts.

~Sage Raziel

rthompson80819

Specialist

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 07:33:31 PM »
                      I'm still not entirely clear on how you have everything hooked up.

A single computer can be hooked up to a USB port on a cable modem.  There are a few USB routers, but they are few and far between.  The router should only be hooked to the cable modem with a ethernet cable.  No USB involved.  From the router either ethernet cables or wireless should be used.

And personally, even with a single computer and cable modem involved I would go with ethernet everytime over USB.

Sleepyjohn

Starter

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
                        Sorry to interupt and add my two cents worth;
                        But I wanted SAGERAZIEL to know that I agree with JASON2074.

SAGERAZIEL; your older computer (that you recently brought back into service) probably did not have all the current updates loaded on it (SP2 or SP3).  Perhaps it had NOT even (never) been configured to work on this local router?
                        But, as JASON said, you should have been able to plug the ethernet cord into that old computer, and into the router to establish internet connectivity.  It does have an ethernet port in it, doesn't it?

Now here are some basic facts:
                        1. that USB CABLE connector is only going to give you a 10MB connection speed between the Router and that computer.
                        2. The ETHERNET (wired) cable will allow a 100MB connection speed between the router and the computer.
                        3. The WIRELESS connection's maximum connection speed is 54MB. (Many times it is even slower)
                        Think of these connection speeds like driving speeds (MB=MPH) and you might understand this easier.
                        Do you want to "drive down" the information highway at 10mph, 54mph, or 100mph?

Are you still with me?  These are just the connection speeds to connect EACH COMPUTER to the ROUTER.
                        YES; they can all be going at different SPEEDS as they connect into your ROUTER.
                        Your ROUTER is then connected to the DSL Modem or CABLE modem.  Think of your ROUTER as a FUNNEL.
                        All your computers (whether Ethernet, USB, or Wireless -at different speeds- are all funnelled together into that ONE CABLE/DSL MODEM.

What speed did your cable company tell you that you have coming into the house? 
                        Is it the cheap/easy/basic 1.5MB speed?  Did you upgrade to the 3MB. 6MB, or 12MB speed?
                        YES, they charge more for faster connections!

JASON2074 was correct to tell you to get rid of the USB cable.  That is ancient technology (at least 10+ years old).
                        YOU were correct that powering down your old computer allowed the other computers to connect at a faster speed.
                        (again; think of the funnel.  Or think of the slow folks in front of you as you merge onto the freeway each morning)
                        Am I making any sense for you?
                        Hopefully, I was able to explain this in a manner that informed you without insulting you.

Best regards in your future computing,

Sleepyjohn

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 10:15:07 AM »
                          I updated to Windows XP service pack 3 the day after I restored the computer. I installed both SP2 and SP3. I don't wish to be rude, but please guys stop telling me to switch hardware or from USB...My point here is I KNOW without the shadow of a doubt it DOES work the way I have it set up because it's worked that way for 11 years. It's kind of like you putting gas in your car and driving it for 11 years with no problem, then all of a sudden people are telling you that that doesn't work and that you have to put water in the gas tank instead.

I have no other way to hook this stuff up, I ONLY have the stuff it came with. Once again; Cable Modem is hooked to PC, Wireless Router is hooked to Cable Modem. I have internet from the Router at normal speeds. The issue is the computer those two devices are hooked to does not have internet. (It did for 11 years on this setup though). So, without telling me to go and buy new stuff or to unhook my modem from USB(That's the only way I can hook it up as my internet comes from Cable hooked to the modem).

Okay, now I know my issue has to be some kind of setting, or software, or configuration, or driver or something of that nature. Any more suggestions on a fix?

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:27 AM »
                            Oh yes, it should be noted that my wireless router is not hooked up by USB. The Modem itself is.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                            « Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »
                            Are there available ethernet ports for the wireless router? Just to be clear, a USB port is not an Ethernet port. And your modem has both.

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
                              I know USB and Ethernet are different. My wireless router connect via ethernet. I will post some pictures of my set up later so everyone here can see exactly how I'm set up, but I tell ya even if my setup is wrong it works as it worked perfectly fine for 11 years...

Anyway, I'll post back here with links to the pictures. I'll be uploading to DeviantArt so you can all see my setup.

Thanks for all the help guys.

~Sage Raziel

Computer_Commando

Hacker

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »
                                Thank you for posting that. I looked into it and that is exactly how mine is hooked up. Now everyone telling me it isn't supposed to use USB can go and see what I'm talking about. So according to that manual I have all the hardware set up perfectly...Yet it still is not allowing internet to the computer its hooked to, thought wireless is working fine for all other devices.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                « Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
                                I suspect there is an IP conflict between the address the modem is giving to the USB computer & the IP address the router is giving to one of the other computers.  The easiest & best way to determine this is to remove the USB connection & connect that computer to the router.  If you will notice in the diagram, it's an ethernet hub & not a router.  Hubs don't issue IP addresses, routers do.  Take my advice or not, it's your choice.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                « Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
                                READ the manual on page 12,  TO INSTALL THE CABLE MODEM.
                                Instruction number 2 - Connect your PC to either the ethernet port or the USB port using the appropriate data cable. DO NOT connect to both the ethernet and USB ports at the same time.
                                Are there available ethernet ports for the wireless router?

SageRaziel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 01:38:24 AM »
                                  Computer_Commando I will try it tomorrow but I'm clueless as to how I'll be getting internet if I unhook my modem and simply hook my computer straight to the wireless router....Considering my internet comes through our cable line into the cable modem and then from there goes to the PC and wireless router, but if everyone here insists I unhook my modem from USB(as everyone has suggested) I suppose I'll do it. I will ignore that it has worked the way it's set up for 11 years and simply try the proposed idea because at this point I don't believe anyone can figure it out if I don't unhook the modem to prove that using just the wireless router will not work. Though I desperately hope I'm wrong and it somehow does magically work(Because my goal here is still to get this situation fixed).

Thanks for all the help guys. Tomorrow morning(As it's insanely late here) I will be trying to remove my modem from my computer and hooking up my router directly to the PC via ethernet cable. I'll post results here assuming the above action doesn't completely destroy my entire network connection.

Wish me luck. ^_^

~Sage Raziel

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                  « Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
                                  You're not "unhooking the modem from the pc".  The computers are connected to the router and the router is connected to the modem.  That's the way everybody in the world does it.  The USB connection on the modem is only there as a convenience to those that have no ethernet connection on their computer.  It's a carryover from earlier times when pc's had USB & no ethernet (about the year 2000), & is being eliminated.  The latest Motorola Surfboard modems have no USB connection.

You said earlier:  "It's kind of like you putting gas in your car and driving it for 11 years with no problem, then all of a sudden people are telling you that that doesn't work..."

Try using unleaded gasoline in a 40 year old car.  You'll damage the engine.
                                  The valve seats needed the lead.  Newer engines have hardened valve seats.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
                                    • Yes
                                  « Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 12:21:16 AM »
                                  Just to clarify that it is the computer that you wiped (the XP computer) that is having the issue and none of the others correct?

If that is the issue then go to page 16 on one of the manuals and follow the instructions on how to install the USB Drivers.  Only do this on the system that is connected to the modem via the USB port.  You posted (Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 11:19:35 AM) that you had the disk and only use if this is the correct disk for the modem.
                                  "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."