Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IEEE 1394  (Read 4407 times)

maryamafshar

IEEE 1394
« on: July 01, 2004, 03:35:18 AM »
how can I install IEEE 1394.in my computer devic manager beside IEEE1394 is a guestion mark.I want to
know what is this and how can I install it again?

merlin

Re: IEEE 1394
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 04:38:18 PM »
remove it and install the drivers and then plug your dazzle etc in  and re-boot IEEE 1394<firewire card is being overtaking by usb? the jurys out at the moment..

chade

Re: IEEE 1394
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 07:19:44 PM »
Do as Merlin has suggested and remove the device in the device manager.  Depending on your version of your operating system (I'm assuming you're on windows) the drivers may be automatically installed on reboot, or you may have to use the CD that came with your computer/firewire card, or download them.  If you have troubles, post back with Operating Sysytem & version, and the type of firewire device (eg Belkin Model XXX Firewire card, or onboard firewire on GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard).

And Merlin, I wouldn't expect firewire to dissapear any time soon.  USB2 is a fair competitor to Firewire400 (the initial IEEE1394 standard) but Firewire800 is, well, twice as fast.  I'd expect it to continue to be used on professional level devices, but would expect the dominance of USB to continue on lower level devices where speed is not so important, but price is (firewire is more expensive to implement as well as being less popular).  You'll also note that more and more computers are coming with Firewire standard (for example, Gigabyte now make many motherboards with firewire built in), particularly towards the enthusiast end of the market.