Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A little oversensitive?  (Read 16548 times)

Fleexy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• OW NEXT TIME I SHOULD TURN IT OFF BEFORE SERVICING
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
A little oversensitive?
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
I think Hopebot is a little oversensitive when it comes to detecting swear words.  I'm not banned, but someone could eventually be banned for something like this.  Here is a log without any sort of modification:

Code: [Select]
13:26 <guest_55> Hello quick question what anti virus and malware software would you recommend 
13:26 <Hopebot> Both AVG and AVAST are good free anti-virus programs, links to AV review sites can also be found on http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000514.htm -- We also suggest having Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org) also installed to help protect against malware. However, never install more than one anti-virus on the same computer.
13:26 <Fleexy> There may be websites that help... I currently am not having luck finding them.
13:26 <Fleexy> @55: I recommend avast!
13:26 <Hopebot> *WARNING # 1/3* Fleexy, Please watch your language. Continue to use profanity or inappropriate text (*censored*) and you will be kicked or banned.
I love .NET!

Salmon Trout

Re: A little oversensitive?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
Maybe I'm going blind, but I can't actually see "*censored*" anywhere in Fleexy's typing. Maybe I'd better not tell anyone I'm from Scunthorpe.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »
this is a clbuttic error, and it often buttbuttinates interpretation by most pbutterby's, in fact, it's fully possible that people could misinterpret that for genderual harbuttment.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

blindhelpfultech

Beginner
  • Nadia
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
Maybe I'm going blind, but I can't actually see "*censored*" anywhere in Fleexy's typing. Maybe I'd better not tell anyone I'm from Scunthorpe.
Your not going blind I am part and went over it twice with the screen reader I have no idea. Please ask the perso n that warrned you at least I am not the only one that can not find that part in the post thanks for making me feel better :)

Best Regards,
Blindhelpfultech
Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
I get it now. @55 is leet-write for "*censored*". Of course in Europe where I live, an *censored* is a donkey, but on the web, we all have to live by American standards, or so it seems.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
By American standards...i guess we're all asses...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jareth

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »
    I just got banned for saying solar plexus so I wouldn't say it's over sensitive I would say it's retarded. When is the last time you called someone a solar plexus or screamed out solar plexus when you bust your knuckles? I said it once and instantly got banned. Did it think plexus was *censored*? Is it that dumb?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »
    No offense to Nathan's hard work on the bot, but HopeBot is the primary reason I don't idle in #computerhope. I find it curious why he decided to roll his own when there are so many available options for a channel bot (such as using EggDrop).
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 07:19:36 AM »
    I just got banned for saying solar plexus so I wouldn't say it's over sensitive I would say it's retarded. When is the last time you called someone a solar plexus or screamed out solar plexus when you bust your knuckles? I said it once and instantly got banned. Did it think plexus was *censored*? Is it that dumb?
    You've already posted this in another thread. Once is enough - unless you're looking for the same fate here, knock it off.... And I'm offended by your use of the word retarded.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
    Did it think plexus was *censored*? Is it that dumb?

You just said "*censored*", while complaining about being banned for profanity!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »
    I suspect it wasn't the Bot that banned him afterall...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lostcoast

Hopeful
    « Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »

Please feel free to PM about Ban issues in Chat..
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.