Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard button not working.  (Read 13078 times)

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Keyboard button not working.
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
One of my buttons is not working on my keyboard as the title says, but there is nothing wrong with it, instead there something wrong with the win7 account. When I'm at the log in screen or a test/guest account the button works, but when I log in on my "main" account the button just wont work, the button works if I hold it down, but then it is spamming it.

First i thought there might be something wrong with the registry but the button can work if I'm fast enough I can type it after I log in. There is no unknown startup program, and nor in the processes tab, I don't know what services should be on, so haven't check there.

If I boot in safe mode the button works, but if I turn on Selective start up and uncheck Load system services, Load startup items and Use original boot configuration then the button won't work, I think the computer still boot some of them, It reactivate some items that I can't disable.

Anyone with a guess on what it could be? I got a updated virus program and I have scanned my computer, so the possibility on a virus is small, no strange files that I can see, I even cleaned the registry witch CCleaner, tho I know you shouldn't do it, but it was wort a shot.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Keyboard button not working.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:19:39 AM »
Which button?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:43:34 AM »
It's the "Ö" button.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:47:46 AM »
That's very... odd.  I'm not sure what the fix might be, but it sounds like a possible registry corruption is involved.  This may not satisfy you as a solution, but how about creating a new user account on the PC and migrating to that?

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
Well... It's would take a while to get all of my configuration to the new account, but if it now might be a registry corruption can't I just take and export the keys where the keyboard is saved on a other account and import to this account? if so do you possible know where the keys are saved?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »
Can I just say that the things that you press on a keyboard are called 'keys', not 'buttons', in English? (That's why it's called a keyboard.)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »
Can I just say that the things that you press on a keyboard are called 'keys', not 'buttons', in English? (That's why it's called a keyboard.)

By all means say that if you must.  They are, however buttons.  ;)  (Also, some of those fancy-schmancy buttonboards have extra keys around, that look more like... buttons... than... keys...)

Meanwhile back on topic - I don't see why copying profile items needs to take that long.  With most programs it's just going to be drag-and-drop.  But the real reason for following my suggestion and creating another profile, is to see if this confirms the theory that it's a registry issue.  If it is, you could be on a hiding to nothing selectively fixing it - who knows what else might be screwed up?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:30:01 AM »
I agree, just create a temporary profile and see if that fixes the issue with your buttonboard, and if so we can be sure it's a profile-specific issue and work from there.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »
instead there something wrong with the win7 account. When I'm at the log in screen or a test/guest account the button works, but when I log in on my "main" account the button just wont work[...]

First i thought there might be something wrong with the registry but the button can work if I'm fast enough I can type it after I log in.

The Test/guest account is a new profile, and I have "tried" to just copy my User profile but it took to long for all of the files and I had trouble to get access to my main folder from the new account so I kinda gave it up quite fast...

So it is a profile-specific issue.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »
What's your region/language set to?  Are you using any macro tools like AutoHotKey?

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:19:36 AM »
My region is set to my country and it is right keyboard layout, I have Autohotkey installed but I haven't used it sins I got Win7.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 07:21:30 AM »
Uninstall it...and re-boot.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 07:39:01 AM »
Nope, didn't work.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »
Drawing a blank here.  Something's trapping that key code, I think.  I wonder if you change your keyboard layout in Regional Settings, does that key spring back into life?

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 09:19:42 PM »
Well then it works just fine, so I guess it\s something wrong with the region keyboard layout, I will see if Microsoft have a fix for it on their forum.