Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Simple Question About Booting and Operating Systems  (Read 3326 times)

gtramo

Simple Question About Booting and Operating Systems
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:01:32 PM »
Hey Guys. I just had a question.

If I delete all my operating systems (partitions as well) and their is no operating system, will my computer boot, or atleast display something? Will the Bios load, so I can install a fresh copy of xp or seven?

I do have my copies of Windows Seven, and Xp. Im planning a dual boot install.

I want to know because I am going to completely format the whole drive and install xp then seven, so I want to know if I will be able to install Xp or Seven after I wiped the whole drive and their is no operating system. Thanks Greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

i have a Compaq preloaded wiht Seven. Any questions feel free to ask.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Simple Question About Booting and Operating Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »
In some cases you need a utility program to wipe the disc before your can install XP. This can be a floppy disc with DOS 0r a CD with Linux.
It has been documented by MS some time ago that XP can not, in some cases, not use a drive that was formatted by another OS. Just find some program that can boot from CD or floppy and wipe the disk. Them install XP.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:08:41 PM »
Assuming nothing has been touched yet...

I'd boot to the windows install disc, use it to format and then follow the instructions to install. (There should be somewhere a format/delete partition option on disc)

However, for dual bot, I'm not sure if you do the XP install first or the win 7 install first... maybe want to google search for an answer to that.

good luck.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
i have a Compaq preloaded wiht Seven
See this link --> Dual Boot Your Pre-Installed Windows 7 Computer with XP