Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista O/S not starting  (Read 22230 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows Vista O/S not starting
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
You're not painting a clear picture here.  Your wording is a bit convoluted.  Perhaps you should further explain what lead to the discussion of memory, why running memtest (or whatever it was you used) was recommended, and how you concluded that your system's memory is OK.
She already explained that someone on another forum suggested she check the ram - and it passed.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
    You're not painting a clear picture here.  Your wording is a bit convoluted.  Perhaps you should further explain what lead to the discussion of memory, why running memtest (or whatever it was you used) was recommended, and how you concluded that your system's memory is OK.

Ok.. If you want to read this forum its all here...http://www.d-a-l.com/help/spyware-adware-viruses-malware-removal/69408-thinkpoint-ugh-8.html
     The topic was originally for a virus. The memory stuff starts on page 8.

Sorry I don't know a lot about computers. I just want mine to work! I'm not sure what test I was running but it seemed to be testing the memory and I didn't get any errors.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
      Well, that disc should be bootable and the fact that the system sees it at boot would confirm that. Try again - reboot with the cd in the drive and when you get that message tap one or two keys on the keyboard and see if you can't get the system to boot to the disc.

Still not working..would going to the Boot menu help?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »
      I don't think so. It appears the cd drive is at the top of the boot order and the system sees the cd at boot. And the system sees your keyboard since you're able to get into the bios. I'm not sure why you can't get to it. Let's see if anyone else has an idea.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
        I don't think so. It appears the cd drive is at the top of the boot order and the system sees the cd at boot. And the system sees your keyboard since you're able to get into the bios. I'm not sure why you can't get to it. Let's see if anyone else has an idea.

Ok. Ugh. Is all of this rebooting ok to do? I was told that if the problem is the hard drive, it's not a good idea to spin it a lot. I won't mind if I have to reinstall Vista and basically start over with this computer but I still want to be able to get files off of it.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
        Rebooting doesn't hurt anything.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »
        She already explained that someone on another forum suggested she check the ram - and it passed.
        Yes, I read what she said and I'm saying her explanation leaves some doubt about the whole situation regarding RAM.  She simply has not explained all in a clear manner.  Look again at the sentence I previously quoted:
        And when I was doing diagnostics since it hasn't been working, I think it did do the memory test and everything seemed fine.
        "when I was doing diagnostics since it hasn't been working" doesn't make sense.  Does she mean "when I was doing diagnostics since it hasn't been wasn't working"?  And, then she goes on to say "I think it did do the memory test and everything seemed fine."  That's not worded in a way which instills much confidence in what she's saying.  That's why I asked for some elaboration from her.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
          Yes, I read what she said and I'm saying her explanation leaves some doubt about the whole situation regarding RAM.  She simply has not explained all in a clear manner.  Look again at the sentence I previously quoted:"when I was doing diagnostics since it hasn't been working" doesn't make sense.  Does she mean "when I was doing diagnostics since it hasn't been wasn't working"?  And, then she goes on to say "I think it did do the memory test and everything seemed fine."  That's not worded in a way which instills much confidence in what she's saying.  That's why I asked for some elaboration from her.

Ok so I know what I said makes sense to me  but I can understand why it doesn't make sense to someone else. I am not always good at explaining things. To try and explain better: the memtest was something that was suggested to me about a year ago. I never did the test the way it was suggested. Someone else on that forum also said that a memtest wasn't necessarily a good thing to do so that scared me. I didn't get a blue screen error for a while so I didn't think it was a big issue. But maybe 10 times since then I have gotten a blue screen error.

Now since I am having a problem with Windows not starting, I believe the test I was running yesterday was called diagnostics. It was saying things about memory so I thought maybe that was the same as memtest. I was gone while it was running but when I got home it didnt say anything about errors.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
          Go here: http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&cs=2684&l=en&s=pub&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525
          Enter your Service Tag & you will see your laptop.

Your Dell should have a PC Restore (CNTL-F11) available at startup, but you'll lose everything & you will have to download & reinstall all Windows Updates since the computer was shipped.  It's all in the Manual p.40.  I wouldn't do it until all other options are exhausted.

I should know the 1525 by now, lots come here with questions on that model.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »
            Go here: http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&cs=2684&l=en&s=pub&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525
            Enter your Service Tag & you will see your laptop.

Your Dell should have a PC Restore (CNTL-F11) available at startup, but you'll lose everything & you will have to download & reinstall all Windows Updates since the computer was shipped.  It's all in the Manual p.40.  I wouldn't do it until all other options are exhausted.

I should know the 1525 by now, lots come here with questions on that model.

So I would do this from a different computer? Like my sister's netbook that I have been using? Is this really my option? Is it possible that a different Vista repair DVD would work?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »
            So I would do this from a different computer? Like my sister's netbook that I have been using? Is this really my option? Is it possible that a different Vista repair DVD would work?
            We're not trying to fix your sister's computer.  You can read all the instructions on her netbook.  I'm reading them on my computer, can't you read them on the netbook?
            I understand the 1525 won't boot.  Let's just see if the System Restore is available, if you don't want to proceed, you click Reboot instead of Confirm.

I'm suspecting the hard drive is bad.  I think Dell has a hard drive diagnostic available from the startup menu.
            Yes, it's F12.  Manual p.36

Give us the Service Tag & I'll look up the specs as delivered.

I can turn my computer on and the BIOS loads but then I just get what I think is called the command prompt window. Just a black screen with a blinking line. Pressing F8 to get to the windows startup menu doesn't work....
            When you see that, you already missed your chance; you gotta start tapping that F8 right away.  BTW, that's not the command prompt window.
            « Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:38:42 PM by Computer_Commando »

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
              We're not trying to fix your sister's computer.  You can read all the instructions on her netbook.  I'm reading them on my computer, can't you read them on the netbook?
              I understand the 1525 won't boot.  Let's just see if the System Restore is available, if you don't want to proceed, you click Reboot instead of Confirm.

I'm suspecting the hard drive is bad.  I think Dell has a hard drive diagnostic available from the startup menu.
              Yes, it's F12.  Manual p.36

Give us the Service Tag & I'll look up the specs as delivered.
              When you see that, you already missed your chance; you gotta start tapping that F8 right away.  BTW, that's not the command prompt window.
              Sorry for some reason I thought you meant to do the actual restore from a different computer. I do know how to enter my service tag and look up the specs and instructions for my computer. It is 8JMJLF1 by the way. And I have pressed F8 as soon as I turn on my computer. Still don't get the startup menu.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
              Try tapping F8 repeatedly...instead of pressing it....do it before the boot menu Windows splash screen shows up...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
                Try tapping F8 repeatedly...instead of pressing it....do it before the boot menu Windows splash screen shows up...
                I will try again but I have done that multiple times.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
                  I will try again but I have done that multiple times.

Ok so I am not sure why but maybe now since I have it set to boot from the CD/DVD drive, I was able to get to the startup menu. I selected Safe Mode with Networking. But I was expecting to be able to still see my desktop. But it says Install Windows and it wants me to select options like the language. Is this the repair setup? Or is this to reinstall Windows and that would wipe my hard drive?