Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista O/S not starting  (Read 22537 times)

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows Vista O/S not starting
    « Reply #60 on: August 25, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »
    Ugh! Why is everyone so mad at me?   :( What do you want me to do? When bronni was helping me, my main concern was the virus. When that was gone, I was just happy to have my computer working again. I'll admit I was lazy and thought if the memory issue wasn't really giving me problems, why should I waste time testing it when I didn't want to open my computer? Someone else on that forum did tell me that if I wasn't getting the blue error screen, I didn't need to do the memtest. But it's not the end of the world that I didn't do it!!

Now how did I not follow Computer_Commando's instructions on here? Maybe I didn't read through everything clearly but it seemed like the only option he was giving me was to restore my computer without a way to get my files. Like I said, I wanted to be sure that was my only option before I just erase everything. I ran diagnostics and memory tests. They didn't find any errors. What else should I do?

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »
      Actually it was broni himself that told me not to touch anything. "If you didn't have any more BSODs, i wouldn't touch anything."

Can't I just reinstall Windows and wait and see if I have any other issues? If this is really not a good thing to do will someone please just tell me?

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
        And I did already post on DAL about Windows not starting before I posted here. But no one was answering me so I came here. Broni told me a few times to not post in that virus topic again about other things so I don't think it's a good idea to ask him again.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
        Ugh! Why is everyone so mad at me?   :(
        I'm not. I'm quite honestly just as confused by the aura of antagonism that has resulted from you not following irrelevant instructions.

I'll admit I was lazy and thought if the memory issue wasn't really giving me problems
        What memory issue? (is this from the other thread on the other forum, or the suspicion of a memory issue for the non-booting issue you are having now?)

To the best of what I can understand here, there is another thread, somewhere on the internet that is not linked here at all (and thus I cannot refer to it) that you started about an issue you were having- this one, or at least a issue from before "this" one. Given the symptoms it appeared that somebody felt that a Memory Test would be helpful in diagnosing the problem. From the sounds of things, you've run the built-in Windows memory diagnostic, which, IMO, ought to be good enough for these purposes. If you want to shut everybody up you could burn memtest86 to a disc, boot to it, and let it run for a number of hours. If there are any errors at all, then you have a problem, and we can work from there to diagnose your memory issues (which in and of themselves could be caused by PSU, motherboard, etc and other issues).

An educated guess on my part? You have no memory issues at all. For one thing, I just don't see how a memory issue would prevent windows from starting from the HD but still allow you to boot into a Linux distro and move files. The only common element for problems here seems to be the hard drive. Several Posts here recommend the usage of a Utility to check if this is the problem.

it's important to realize that for the most part none of the suggested tools are magical fix-it tools; they are merely diagnostic tools that help you- and in turn us- determine if there are problems with certain components, and advise appropriately.

why should I waste time testing it when I didn't want to open my computer?
        Well, if there is a problem, not wanting to open your computer isn't going to make it go away! :P

I ran diagnostics and memory tests. They didn't find any errors. What else should I do?
        No idea. a quick glance and all I can see is a recommendation to use "seatools" but as you noted yourself, that suggestion was based on the wrong machine. After that it was merely quoted and you repeated your concern about it not being a Toshiba, a specific concern which was never addressed.

suffice it to say that I, at least, am as concerned about this as you are.

As to your problem, though, What exactly have you copied? I would recommend at least copying the entire My documents folder, if nothing else.

Once you are sure you've got everything, you'll want to try a factory restore of the drive.

You can initiate the "Dell Recovery Restore Utility." by pressing Control and F11 at the same time during boot. (I would recommend just holding Control and tapping F11 during boot). Others have noted that they had to press and hold the "0" (zero) key during boot to get to the restore utility.

If you can't get anything to appear, you might need to get the recovery discs for the system. if you don't have those, you can fill out the forms On the Dell website and have them mailed to you.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #64 on: August 25, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »
        PS...no one is mad at you...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »
          I'm not. I'm quite honestly just as confused by the aura of antagonism that has resulted from you not following irrelevant instructions.
          Thank you. I am confused as well.

What memory issue? (is this from the other thread on the other forum, or the suspicion of a memory issue for the non-booting issue you are having now?)

To the best of what I can understand here, there is another thread, somewhere on the internet that is not linked here at all (and thus I cannot refer to it) that you started about an issue you were having- this one, or at least a issue from before "this" one. Given the symptoms it appeared that somebody felt that a Memory Test would be helpful in diagnosing the problem. From the sounds of things, you've run the built-in Windows memory diagnostic, which, IMO, ought to be good enough for these purposes. If you want to shut everybody up you could burn memtest86 to a disc, boot to it, and let it run for a number of hours. If there are any errors at all, then you have a problem, and we can work from there to diagnose your memory issues (which in and of themselves could be caused by PSU, motherboard, etc and other issues).
          Here is the link again to a virus topic on another forum. After I got the virus cleared, I did get the BSOD. And from the log Broni thought it was a possible RAM issue. So I went back to that thread and the RAM/memory issues start on page 8. http://www.d-a-l.com/help/spyware-adware-viruses-malware-removal/69408-thinkpoint-ugh-8.html

An educated guess on my part? You have no memory issues at all. For one thing, I just don't see how a memory issue would prevent windows from starting from the HD but still allow you to boot into a Linux distro and move files. The only common element for problems here seems to be the hard drive. Several Posts here recommend the usage of a Utility to check if this is the problem.
          I am sorry if I missed those posts recommending the usage of a Utility to check the hard drive. What exactly do you mean? How should I check my hard drive?

No idea. a quick glance and all I can see is a recommendation to use "seatools" but as you noted yourself, that suggestion was based on the wrong machine. After that it was merely quoted and you repeated your concern about it not being a Toshiba, a specific concern which was never addressed.

suffice it to say that I, at least, am as concerned about this as you are.

As to your problem, though, What exactly have you copied? I would recommend at least copying the entire My documents folder, if nothing else.

Yes I was very confused by the Toshiba and "seatools" comments.

I have copied all my pictures, videos, music and documents.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:09 PM »
            I guess I am still deciding what to do. I am going to take my computer to school tomorrow and ask my teacher what he thinks. I told him last week that Windows wasn't loading but I didn't have my computer with me.

But I am an idiot and just realized that a few days before my computer crashed I did download new software. It was Yahoo Messenger. Could that have caused the O/S to not load?

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
              So my teacher told me to restore my computer. And then I should use some anti-virus software to make sure that it is totally clear of that virus I had last November. My McAfee subscription is expired and I'm not sure if I even want to install it again. He recommended bit defender. But now I see it's not as cheap as he said. Is there any free AV software that's just as good?

And then he recommended that I make a CD with the disc image of my hard drive. How would I do that?

After I do all of this I will burn memtest6 to a disc and let it run.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #68 on: August 27, 2011, 12:18:44 AM »
              Go to Dell website and download the Manual and read on how to boot and use system recovery. Most members here would recommend free Avast, Microsoft Essential, Avira, AVG, or Kaspersky. I was attaching a manual on your Dell model but was having some problem.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
                I do have my manual. First of all, I need to have it set to boot from CD/DVD drive first in order to get to the Advanced Boot Options window. Why is this? And when I get to that window, I don't see Repair Your Computer. Should I just use my Vista Install DVD (from Dell) to restore my computer? Ctrl and F11 doesn't work either.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
                  So I don't think my PC has the Dell Data Safe Local Backup 2.0. I believe that is what gives the option Repair Your Computer under the Advanced Boot Options window. They have been putting Dell Data Safe on their computers since April of 2009. I got my computer in February of 2009.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
                    Can anyone answer my questions? I am really frustrated and upset with all of this. I just want to fix it myself! If I really can't then I will take it somewhere. But if I call somewhere, they are obviously going to tell me that I can't because they want me to pay them to do it. I keep calling Dell but they don't tell me much because my warranty is expired and they want me to pay $59 to have a technician do it or I assume tell me what to do. Which to me means then why can't I do it? Is it true that I can't restore my computer with my Vista Install DVD?

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
                      So I started to use my Vista Install DVD and when I got to Where do you want to install Windows? There is a drive that says RECOVERY. Does this mean that I should have the recovery option but I can't seem to get to it?

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
                        What I meant before was that I went to Install. But is that just going to install it again and not "recover" or restore my system back to factory settings? Is there a way that I could uninstall the O/S that is on there now and then reinstall everything?

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #74 on: August 28, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »
                        Repair Install of Vista...

Done properly all data will be intact...
                        1 mistake and all data will be gone...but you will have a fresh install of Vista...

I suggest reading it thru thoroughly and printing out a reference copy before starting...
                        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "