Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Icons  (Read 7605 times)

Bill Johnston

Computer Icons
« on: July 01, 2004, 07:58:39 PM »
2 things, first I registered and did not receive email conformation. 2nd is two part, first is what do the computer icons in the taskbar do and what do they mean? (there is 2 and I figured one is incoming signal, the other outgoing) And why does it seem that sometimes they stay lit up, and then they go dark?
Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Computer Icons
    « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 10:43:35 PM »
    Bill....I am sure you will get confirmation , if not repeat the registration process......There have been some issues with the forum ......but the able administrator has most of them resolved.
    On to the second part.......the small icons you see down in the lower right corner are indicating various things that are loaded and running....(click on each to see what it is) the two little monitors you see that go on and off are indicating that you are connected to the internet. ( what you are seeing is normal )

Hope this answers your question.

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Bill Johnston

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 07:32:56 PM »
    You must excuse my inept ability to pose a queery. I think what bothers me most is that they go blank and the internet status stops (No incoming or outgoing) signals. When I try to download a picture the screen just stops and the icons are dark. After I hit refresh several times they will light upand it will then load pictures. I found a link from here I think it was and downloaded pcbugdoctor. I did what it said to do and it told me that I have corrupt files and missing shortcuts. Could this be what is slowing my downloads? For reference I use spywareguard, spywareblaster, Stopzilla, Avast, and Spybot. Maybe one of these is what is slowing it down? I also was wondering if pcbugdoctor is right, have you or an associate ever used this product and where you satisfied with the end result? Sorry for wanting to know so much, but I work too hard for my money to just throw it away on a useless product.
    Thanks, Bill Johnston

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 07:56:16 PM »
      Bill......The downloading problem.......is this something that has just started ?
      I have PC Bugdoctor installed .....but I have to say I'm not all that impressed with it ......when it scans, it removes my icon on the desktop which I use to enable or disable my high speed connection.
      Looking at what you are scanning with ........
      I would add .....Ad-Aware to that....
      http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet
      When you D/l Ad-Aware ....be sure to click ....."check for updates" ( they update frequently)
      What did pc bugdoctor say you were missing?

dl65 ???

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 08:01:22 PM by dl65 »

Bill Johnston

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 09:24:17 PM »
      This is what bugdoctor had to say:
      Type                                Scanned                          Error
      Invalid CLSID                  3387                                 15
      Corrupt Help Files           35                                     4
      Invalid Shared Tools       251                                   0
      Corrupt Shared Files       1352                                 12
      Corrupt Fonts                  338                                   0
      Missing Short Cuts           198                                  10
      Item(s) Scanned 5561
      Error(s) Found 41

If need be I have (I think I still do ) Hijack this. I do not know the proper way to use it as another forum said something about saving it in its own file so it will not make back up copies of itself. I posted it on another forum, but got no response. I do not want to let it fix anything as I do not know what or how to do this. If it would help I can run it and post it and maybe if there is something wrong someone with experience could spot it. I do not know, maybe there is nothing wrong and my concerns are unjust? What do you think?
      Bill Johnston

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 01:35:47 AM »
        Bill.......Go ahead and let Win Doctor fix the 41 items it found .
        Re HiJack this......open it up and run the scan ...........don't do anything until you go to .........
        http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

This site will explain what all the entries are and then you can remove the ones that are suspicious..
        Take your time and check each item before you tick it for removal.  It is a very good program......
        When you decide to remove something .......just use the fix checked button........ignore the save log button

Hope this helps you .

Cheers
        dl65  ???
        « Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 01:38:13 AM by dl65 »