Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer turns on then goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor  (Read 3224 times)

wilsowil001

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    i dont have a reboot or recovery disk

truenorth

Guru

Operating System? What changes or occurrence  were coincident to this fault? Can you get into safe mode? Your post is truly a fantastic example of brevity but when it comes to seeking help from others that don't have the advantage of your onsite awareness that is not the best approach to achieve your desire for assistance. More is usually better. truenorth

wilsowil001

Topic Starter

Starter

windows vista home edition    nothing really i went and turned it off and when i tried to turn it back on it goes past the blue screen then the screen turns black and there is a blinking curcor in the top left hand corner of the screen thats all i know

wilsowil001

Topic Starter

Starter

how do i run an anti virus software through command prompt it doesnt make any sense btw i had mcafee installed before the problem

michelsmith

Beginner

Hi,

Here are some tips to fix black screen error on Windows 7 systems with the cursor hang:

Use Windows 7 DVD

You can use the Windows 7 DVD to repair these black screen issues in the system. For this, you need to insert the DVD in the system and then restart the system. You will be then prompted to press any key to boot from the disk. After pressing any key, you will reach the “Install Now” screen. In this screen, you need to select the ‘Repair Your Computer’ options. In the next screen appearing, you will get two options from which you need to select the first option and then select the OS you installed in the system. Choose ‘Start-Up Repair’ from multiple repair options. You will get the system restarting itself and you can get the issue resolved with this.

Last known good configuration

It is possible that any serious changes to the Windows 7 system get it in black screen error with the cursor hang. You can try restoring the system to its last known good configuration to resolve the issue. For this, you need to tap specific keys to enter the set-up of the system. As the BIOS appear, search out the Restore Default Settings options. After selecting the option, save it and then exit the menu. You will then get the system to its initial state. You will get a boot options menu as your computer restarts and you need to select the ‘Last known good configuration’ from this.

Disconnect any external devices

If still you experience the black screen issue in Windows 7 system, you can check if any of system hardware is causing the issue. For this, you need to remove each external device of the system and try to start up the system. You may try disconnecting any unwanted internal devices to fix the issue.

truenorth

Guru

michelsmith, It is indeed commendable that you have chosen to come forth with the intention to assist the O/P. However ALL your suggestions relate to Win 7 and the O/P has told us the O/S is Vista. Additionally the O/P has stated "i dont have a reboot or recovery disk" so it would appear that your 1st suggestion as it could apply to Win 7 is NOT an option.
               I am still awaiting the O/P's response as to whether they are able to boot the computer into safe mode. truenorth