Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer laptop: beeping when charging  (Read 18270 times)

CMMom

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Acer laptop: beeping when charging
    « on: August 30, 2011, 08:08:47 AM »
    I have a month-old Acer Aspire laptop (5750 series).  I've noticed in the past week or so that it periodically beeps when plugged in and charging.  There are two short beeps in quick succession, then a pause, then the beeps again.  It only seems to happen after the battery charges to about 60% or so.  I know that it's not a signal to tell me that the computer is fully charged.  This is troubling me, as I just bought this computer to replace one that crashed a month ago.  It has also done it on more than one power outlet, so I know it's not a problem with the outlet.

Any ideas?  Last computer succumbed to death by milk spilled on it, ruining the motherboard.  Thanks, kids!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Acer laptop: beeping when charging
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »
    What happens after the beeping starts?  Does the battery continue to charge until it gets to 100%?  And, does the beeping continue until the battery reaches a 100% charge?  And then, does the beeping stop? 

Your computer is under warranty, right?

CMMom

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:06 AM »
      Yes, it started this AM at 60% and is now at 100% and is no longer beeping.  It kind of did it in a flurry and then stopped.   As far as I know, it's under warranty.  It does not beep when unplugged.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:48:56 AM »
      It kind of did it in a flurry and then stopped.
      What do you mean by "in a flurry"?  Do you mean that charging percentage suddenly jumped from 60% to 100%? 

As far as I know, it's under warranty. 
      If the computer is only about a month old, then it's surely under manufacturer's warranty, which is usually 1 year.  If this beeping persists, I'd contact the manufacturer.  This is an abnormal behavior and they should do whatever is necessary to resolve it for you.

CMMom

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »
        No, it did the beeping sequence about 10 times in a row in quick succession, then slowed down (became more infrequent), then stopped altogether after it was fully charged.  It was like a "chunk" of beeping; not always predictable how long it would go between each pair of beeps.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »
        I'd contact the manufacturer.  See http://support.acer.com/us/en/default.aspx for some support info. 

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:35:15 AM »
        While waiting for any possible replacement, try looking on you battery power options - Advanced Settings and try setting :

Restore Plan defaults