Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visual Basic Express 2008 - XP Vs Vista - Error in Install.log  (Read 4195 times)

hopingForAnswers

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    1 . In wrote a game in Visual basic Express 2008 - and it works perfectly - all of the time.  (Window Xp was on that machine)
    2.  I "Published"  the game to a Zip Drive.
    3. I then moved the zip drive to another machine running windows XP (which had a copy of visual basic 2003.net installed).  Everything worked.  that was about 2 months ago.
    4. I then moved the zip drive to a machine running windows Vista. 
    The program didn't install..  It directed  me to an install.log  which was never created.   

Why did the installation fail?
    a) difference between Vista and Windows XP
    b)  needs a component that is in Visual Basic  (either version)
    c)  Some new Security fix - The 3rd computer was not connected to the internet
    for code Verification - but should have installed with a warning
    d)  Some other Reason

I can make a few modifications to the code and compile it in Visual Basic 2003.net
    - if that is the answer - but why fix it it's it's not broken

Or I can install visual basic 2010  on the 3rd  machine   - but I'm running out of machines.

I also have another  machine running windows 7 - whihc I haven't tested yet

hopingForAnswers

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Visual Basic Express 2008 - XP Vs Vista - Error in Install.log
      « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
      I had other issues with that computer that are slowly being solved. 

I'm now back to this problem.  I was able to install the VB compiled program on 3 computers running Windows XP  and one running Windows 7.

The problem is with the computer running Vista.  I tried to install Visual Basic.2003 on that computer but that wouldn't install either. 

Any suggestions?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Visual Basic Express 2008 - XP Vs Vista - Error in Install.log
      « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:53:38 AM »
      In your title ou name VB 2008, but you also mention  the 2010 version. IMHO, it would make thingsneasier if nyou would do jsut on version of VB  unless you know that you have to use different versions.
      Are you using the free version of VB 2010?

From tehe Microsft web site...
      Visual Basic 2010 Express

Visual Basic 2010 Express is part of the Visual Studio 2010 Express family, a free set of tools that Windows developers at any level can use to create custom applications using basic and expert settings. Visual Basic provides a fast and easy way to create .NET Framework-based Windows applications. As with all programs that target the .NET Framework, programs written in Visual Basic benefit from security and language interoperability.
      Software Requirements

Visual Studio 2010 can be installed on the following operating systems:
          Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3 - all editions except Starter Edition
          Windows Vista (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2 - all editions except Starter Edition
          Windows 7 (x86 & x64)
          Windows Server 2003 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2
          Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86 & x64)
          Windows Server 2008 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2
          Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
      http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express
      What is the only reson for not using the newer version?
      I "Published"  the game to a Zip Drive.
      What does that mean? Did you use the recommended method of deployment of a compiled program.
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/realdevelopment/gg271301