Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opera browser insists I live in Poland!!!  (Read 4235 times)

beechgrove

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Opera browser insists I live in Poland!!!
    « on: September 03, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
    I recently installed the Opera browser but it keeps insisting that I live in Poland instead of the UK!!

If I go (for instance) to avast.com it takes me to the polish version.  Now when I try to log into one of my webserver accounts the server locks me out because it thinks the account is being hacked from someone in Poland (I set up the webserver account using IE8).

I checked the Geolocation setting and it was OFF.  Switching it ON makes no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas as this is driving me insane!!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Opera browser insists I live in Poland!!!
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
    Hi.  I'm an Opera user in the US but I don't know the solution right off hand.  Hopefully, someone will be able to suggest a solution here but, while you're waiting, you might post your question in an Opera-specific forum at http://my.opera.com/community/forums/.  I've used that forum and I've generally found it helpful regarding Opera.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
      I am an Opera user in Canada with no issues. Are you using the full version of Opera or Opera Mini? Because apparently the "Mini" version is known to be glitchy. It is primarily used for small portable devices such as I-phones etc. If it were me i would uninstall it and do a new install. The latest version is 11.51 which just came out in the past few days.truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »
      Have you checked if any proxy servers are enabled in Tools>Advanced Tab>Network? Do you know or live with any Polish people? Or have any connection with that country? Is this a portable computer? Have you ever taken it to Poland? Is that where you installed Opera? Where did you get Opera from?

beechgrove

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:07:52 AM »
        This is Opera version 11.51.  It is installed on a laptop in the UK.  There are no proxy servers listed and we connect to the Internet using Virgin Media cable within the UK.  IE8 automatically converts Google. com to Google.co.uk. The only connection I have with Poland is that my wife's father was Polish but she was born in Coventry LOL!  So no it has never been to Poland or been installed by anybody Polish. 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 04:13:29 AM »
        Where did you get Opera from?

... and is it a full installed version or a portable one?

... and if it is an installed version, have you tried uninstalling it, removing all traces including program folder and appdata etc and then reinstalling it?

... why not just ditch it and use Firefox, like I did? (Yes I know this is a controversial suggestion!)

beechgrove

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 05:59:08 AM »
          It's a fully installed version not a portable.  I guess I can go for the uninstall / reinstall option.  I wanted Opera because it runs my POP3 email simultaneously instead of opening Outlook.  I actually didn't like Firefox.  Also Opera Unite enables me to access my files as a web server remotely instead of using Logmein.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 06:22:55 AM »
            Go for the uninstall/install and report back,truenorth

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »
            Where did you get Opera from?
            Still not answered.

Before you reinstall, I suggest you download Opera again.  It's available from the makers of Opera at http://www.opera.com/download/
            Go for the uninstall/install and report back,truenorth

Actually, here's what I'd do. 
            > Uninstall Opera
            > Install CCleaner and run both its file cleaner AND its Registry cleaner.  When run the Registry cleaner, if you prefer not to let CCleaner remove all items it found, at least let it remove anything that appears to be related to Opera.  If it were me, I'd let CCleaner remove all items found.
            > Then, reinstall that newly downloaded Opera

Note: other forum members may chime in here with their standard advisory against using any registry cleaner, ever.  CCleaner is very safe; it will not harm your computer and sometimes its registry cleaner can help resolve software problems such as your problem with Opera.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
            I'll chime in by saying Soybean's advice is solid...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "