Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstalling WindowsXP  (Read 2769 times)

IvanG

Reinstalling WindowsXP
« on: August 30, 2005, 06:09:19 PM »
I've lost all the data on my hard drive so I've been reinstalling windows using the 6 bootable disks plus the CDROM WindowsXP, everthing goes well until setup starts the WindowsXP configuration, when it's time for the computer to restart and the install process it's supposed to continue the computer brings me back to the begining and setup starts inspecting the computer configuration once again. I don't know why windows it's unable to do the booting and to continue the install process.
Any sugestions that might help me with this matter???

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Reinstalling WindowsXP
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 01:38:20 AM »
    Stolen from Flame.  ;)
    http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICROSOF/7509594/Installs/750959408.shtml
    Do not read past step 32 because Flame says so.

Restarting setup seems to be what it does...
    It's been years since I last installed an xp.

Mac

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 01:51:02 AM »
    The first thing would be to know how you lost all of your data. Are you certain that the drive is OK? Mine failed suddenly and I had to get a new one.

Have you run the drive manufacturer's drive diagnostic diskette on the drive?

Is the drive now partitioned and formatted and did you use the Windows XP CD exclusively for these two jobs?

When you see "Press any key to boot from CD..." you only do this ONCE!

If you see the same message a second time don't touch anything otherwise you'll go straight back to the start of the installation process.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 04:45:19 AM »
    When Windows XP tells you it has to restart, and once again mentions you to press any key to enter setup, do not press any key but merely ignore the message.

IvanG

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 08:28:24 AM »
    Well, it didn't even asked me to press any key to boot from CD, I think I've missed a step in the process, I don't have the diagnostic diskette and yes the hard drive it's partitioned and formated, I had to use Win98 and WinXP, at one point the computer says that no version of windows it's found so I have to use any other version and after that it asked again for the WinXP, the reason I decided to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall was due to a virus (according to someone that knows way much about computers than me) I've done it before when I had a Win 98 based computer but XP it's different. I'm starting to think that maybe it's the WindowsXP CD ROM the one with errors.
    Thansk for your posts.

IvanG

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 07:55:19 AM »
    Thanks for all those links MAC, hopefully I'll find the answer there.