Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS has a floppy in it, why ?  (Read 6120 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: BIOS has a floppy in it, why ?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
Welcome back.
Just keep waiting. Someday they will make a BIOS that does not show floppy support. Just a matter of time.
By the way; If you wait long enough, they will make automobiles that do not have cigarette lighters.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: BIOS has a floppy in it, why ?
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
my computer never had a floppy installed.
Doesn't make a difference. Do you really believe that every single computer uses a completely different BIOS that is specially made for that machines configuration? No. If a machine doesn't come with a floppy drive,  it simply has the option disabled- because there isn't one. Just as if you don't have a secondary hard disk, that setting is disabled as well. Just because a machine doesn't come with a given peripheral doesn't mean it should use a BIOS that preemptively disables that feature for no good reason.

it setting is disable or not installed but
Good. Although the only difference in your case is that if you had it enabled and no floppy drive was installed you would simply get a 'Floppy disk(s) fail' (or something similarly worded) when you start the machine. My computer has an option for a floppy drive, and in fact I have one installed. It's not old.

should there be a bios with out the floppy?
No. That would be pointless.

I don't understand it being there at all.
Consider the scenario where you want to install a floppy drive. You would install it, toggle the option appropriately, and then you're done. (or of course some other person does it for you) if the BIOS, for some stupid reason, didn't support floppy drives at all, you couldn't install one no matter how hard you tried. What reason is there to close off such configuration paths?

i don't know what will affect the install
It won't. Trust me, of all the things to worry about when installing a new Operating system, whether it will somehow have problems dealing with a BIOS just like every single other BIOS out there in it's offering of floppy-drive features should probably be the least of them.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.