Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: western digital external hd not responding  (Read 4342 times)

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
western digital external hd not responding
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is any way to retrieve data I stored on my 500gb external western digital hard drive?  When I went to transfer some files from my external wd hd to my cpu the wd hd started to beep and make a clicking noise.  I was able to get about 30 gbs of stuff before it went kaput and still had about 200 gbs of cool stuff I dont want to lose.  When I connect the wd hd to my cpu it starts to run autoplay but shows nothing when it used to go though all my files.  I got a redundancy error and it asks me to format.  Is there anyway to get my stuff back?  It has a lot of stuff that I would like to get back.  Thank you.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: western digital external hd not responding
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Data recovery service...clicking HDD = Clik of Death.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hedgehog88

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:48:27 AM »
    If you ever used Linux or have a friend that knows Linux, you can try connecting the HDD to that OS and pray you can recover your data. It will detect it as a storage unit which should allow you to access the entire drive and partition(s).

Other than that, I agree with patio.

Good luck!

EmmaW

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »
    Your 500 gb external western digital hard drive is corrupted so that it prompts to format, now if you need your data then you have to go for a data recovery software, i will suggest you to use "Kernel for FAT and NTFS" hard disk data recovery software for the recovery of your stuff data and files from your hard drive. It is an efficient data recovery software which has a user friendly interface and has a unique feature that it preview the lost data in RED color in scanning of your drive, it gave you the choice to save all at once or some selective files to your location.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:48:01 AM »
    ...clicking HDD = Clik of Death...
    Not always.  I had a new notebook drive in a 3rd party external USB case, Clik of Death.  Was also using an external power adapter, even when none is needed.  Removed the drive from the case, installed in desktop, tested with manufacturer's diagnostics, everything OK.  Reformatted, no more problems.  This has happened on more than one drive, no clear reason why.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:17:21 AM »
    Sometimes a clicking portable HD means not getting enough USB power. The flickering light will show a faint green color. I borrowed one from a friend here where his portable drive works on all PCs but not on my 7 year old PC. Makes that clicking sound, flickering light. Sometimes its the USB cables as when I've tried using a quality cable connector, the problem is history, atleast in my case.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:23:01 AM »
    Sometimes a clicking portable HD means not getting enough USB power. The flickering light will show a faint green color. I borrowed one from a friend here where his portable drive works on all PCs but not on my 7 year old PC. Makes that clicking sound, flickering light. Sometimes its the USB cables as when I've tried using a quality cable connector, the problem is history, atleast in my case.
    You sometimes need a cable like this:
    http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3753&Itemid=38

Try using http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Testdisk - helps recover lost partitions and data caused by unplugging the drive/power supply to the drive removed when transferring data.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »

Most reliable USB dual/data cable so far, for me.

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
    Thank you for the info everyone.  I haven't had the time to try all the suggestions given but I am starting them today.  1) Kernel had some bad reviews.  2) I don't know anyone on Linox. 3) I don't believe i have the technical knowledge to make the external hd an internal. 4) Trying testdisk atm. 5) Ordering USB 2.0 USB Extension Cable with extra Power inlet.  I am hoping testdisk and or the usb extension cable will solve my problem.  if neither of these work perhaps ill ask some follow up questions about Linox and installing the external to my pc.  Thank you again.