Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hp dv4 recovery with external monitor? ( windows 7)  (Read 4723 times)

zzzzzzzzz809

hp dv4 recovery with external monitor? ( windows 7)
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
i'm trying to go into recovery mode with my laptop using an external monitor (tv).  the laptop's lcd is broken.  when i hit the key to go into recovery mode the external won't show up.  is there a way i can make this work? on the laptop's screen i can see that the recovery is running but can't make out enough to click the options.  i tried to hit  Fn F4 or whatever i usually use to switch it between the default and external screens.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: hp dv4 recovery with external monitor? ( windows 7)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:58:21 AM »
Your only choice here with a busted LCD may be ordering the Recovery CD's from HP which will install video drivers when you boot to them for the recovery...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: hp dv4 recovery with external monitor? ( windows 7)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:05:06 AM »
If you boot up the laptop with the external monitor already connected, do you see the BIOS screen (hit "F2 to enter setup", or something similar) on the external monitor?  If so, you may be able to change a setting in the BIOS that forces the external monitor to be switched on, when you first boot.  If you can't see anything on the external monitor, you may have to do that step "blind" - if there's the slightest chance you can get an HP DV4 owner to work out the necessary steps...

Replacing the LCD screen: around £50 for a screen on eBay, typically.  Further £50 to get someone reputable to replace it.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos