Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Help! IBM Model M Keyboard to work with modern PC!  (Read 5512 times)

10twenty

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Need Help! IBM Model M Keyboard to work with modern PC!
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
I recently got a IBM Model M keyboard, When I first tried to use it to my dismay my computer (specifically the motherboard) could not power it up sufficiently so it can be used.
Since then I've tried about 7 different kinds of adapters, none of them worked well or lasted very long. I even had one melt.
I love typing my my Model M keyboard, I'm not willing to give it up. but Its very frustrating when keystrokes do not read or the "sticky key" things happens very frequently. there is nothing wrong with my 22 year old keyboard, I experience the same problems with newer PS/2 keyboards. It's also painful that the adapters do not support multiple keystrokes, there is literally 0-key rollover then them! I can do Ctrl-V (paste) and stuff like that but absolutely cannot be used for gaming. newer PS/2 keyboards connected to my computer's PS/2 port works find, with 3-4 keys rollover. I seriously doubt the Model M does not support more than one key being pressed at a time.

I heard about a "Blue Cube" adapter, supposed to be legendary for support Model M keyboards. Is this true? I don't want to dish out another $20 to try and make my 22 year old keyboard work with my 2 year old system. If I did spend the money I would of spent enough on adapters to buy another IBM Model M ($100)!

Anyone that uses a Model M keyboard, what do you use to make it work with your modern PC system? What's the best adapter out there?

- tHanks

Salmon Trout

Re: Need Help! IBM Model M Keyboard to work with modern PC!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
This website lists the IBM Model M keyboard as being "confirmed non-NKRO". It is listed as "2KRO", two-key rollover. It adds that some websites falsely report it as NKRO, which stands for "N-key rollover" and a keyboard having this feature will recognize multiple keypresses at once. The website lists numerous tests to check the RO ability of a keyboard. Some tests falsely report the Model M as having 8KRO. Also listed are a number of keyboards advertised as NKRO but which fail a number of tests (ABS M1, Deck Fire 82, Toxic 82 and Gold 82, iRocks KR6820 and plenty more)

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=NKey+Rollover+-+Overview+Testing+Methodology+and+Results#Gamer+Optimized+Keyboards