Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New computer  (Read 5488 times)

Darthgumby

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New computer
    « Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
    As far as system specifics, most laptops these days will do more than enough for you to take care of your emails and office applications.  What you'll want to look for is something with Windows 7, at least 3-4 GB of RAM, and a good processor.  Seeing that the cheapest of laptops these days run between $350 to $500, somewhere in the $500 or above price range should come with all that and more.  But if you are not sure, please ask the store associate, as that is what they are there for.  If you are ordering online, make sure you read the reviews.

Name brand is also something to watch out for.  I tend to stay away from HP and Dell - not that they're bad, but they're known for having more issues (in my opinion).  I think Lenovo is a great brand these days.  I'd also think an Acer is a good brand, as well as Toshiba.  I agree you should probably check these out in the store, as you'll need to get a feel for size, comfort, and ease of use of how the layout is on it.

As far as scrolling from side to side, the site you are on now is built a little goofy.  Most websites and applications are built to resize themselves based on the screen resolution you have set up.  I would not worry about this. 
    There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 01:28:47 PM »
    As far as scrolling from side to side, the site you are on now is built a little goofy.  Most websites and applications are built to resize themselves based on the screen resolution you have set up.  I would not worry about this.
    Eh, that statement needs some clarification.  A larger resolution yields more "real estate"; it allows displaying more on screen at one time. 

Does "the site you are on now" mean computerhope.com?  I see nothing "goofy" about how it displays in a browser in regard to resizing the browser window. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
    Does "the site you are on now" mean computerhope.com?  I see nothing "goofy" about how it displays in a browser in regard to resizing the browser window.
    Agree. You have to size to window < 100 pixels or so vertically to get any horizontal scrolling, at least in my case.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I ask, therefore I learn!
      « Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:20 PM »
      Soybean.  Thanks. How do I change resolution?   ::)

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »

Being as you have not told us what Operating System you are using, we'll have to do it this way

Windows XP
      http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

Windows 7
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Change-your-screen-resolution

If it not one of these, you could just Google it.
      11 cheers for binary !

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »
        Which is better or latest?  Dell Inspirion or Dell XP?  I don't know the difference.  Thx Micromos

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
          Thanks to all the posters for their input.  I finally broke down and bought a Dell laptop yesterday.  It's a Inspirion i5 with 6GB.  That should do me for a while I hope.  I also have a question about my slow desktop computer which I will address in the proper forum in case you are interested in helping me.  Regards, Micromos  ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »
          The link below is to newegg. Search in Notebooks and enter keyword 'refurbished'
          They now offer refurbished laptops with warranty.  You can get a very nice screen at a bargain price. Many of these support an external monitor.
          http://www.newegg.com/
          Newegg has a good reputation. If you find a product is defective they will take it back. An no, I don't work for them.
          Example:
          Recertified: HP G72-B54NR Intel Pentium P6100(2.00GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD Intel HD Graphics Refurbished Notebook
          Just  $379.99  and has Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
          He already bought one Geek...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "