Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bootable 98 Floppy logging onto server with a batch file  (Read 7070 times)

pdesjar06

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Bootable 98 Floppy logging onto server with a batch file
    « on: September 15, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
    I am currently a student and we are working with automated installations of XP using a bootable 98 Floppy, I have my installation running correctly but I was hoping to polish my batch file jobs a little. One of the only tasks I can't seem to overcome happens to be logging into our server (NetWare, I believe). Once logged in the server launches a splash window congratulating me on logging in asking for any key to be pressed, which in turn kills the remainder of the batch file. I've been trying to download a small NIC driver from the network. My master batch file runs three smaller tasks, NET.BAT (runs all commands to initialize my NIC card), DRIVER.BAT (navigates the server and copies the driver to my hard drive), and the NETU.BAT (disconnects my system from the network). I'm hoping to find a way to respond to the request to "Press any key to continue" and have my DOWNLOAD.BAT finish it's job...

Thanks in advance for even reading this

DOWNLOAD.BAT
    Code: [Select]
    @echo off
    net.bat
    driver.bat
    a:
    netu.bat

NET.BAT
    @echo off
    lsl
    ipxodi
    dlk530
    vlm
    f:
    login USER/SERVER
    g:
    <U>Stops at "login USER/STUDENT</U> The script logs in, the confirmation is where the script loses it.

DRIVER.BAT
    @echo off
    g:
    cd drivers\nic\dlink
    copy *.* c:

NETU.BAT
    @echo off
    vlm /u
    dlk530 /u
    ipxodi /u
    lsl /u

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bootable 98 Floppy logging onto server with a batch file
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »
    Once logged in the server launches a splash window congratulating me on logging in asking for any key to be pressed, which in turn kills the remainder of the batch file.

The problem is that DOS is normally single threaded, so the splash screen exits you from your batch routine, and exiting it you might just end up at the command prompt without the remainder of the lines to be executed in the batch triggering. Only way to make this work I think is by creating a TSR service that controls what is launched and when. But the TSR wouldnt be in batch, it would be like C or C++ or another DOS friendly language etc. You would have your TSR load into memory and run thru the batched like routine, and then the TSR can end when completed.

It would be neat if you could logon, but kill that splash screen from taking control. I am not familiar with NetWare, but is there a silent mode option to sort of RUNAS without the splash screen. That would be easier than trying to make your own TSR. The advantage of a TSR is that it Terminates and Stays Resident in memory, so when the splash screen is exited, it can pick up where it left off.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »
    The problem is that DOS is normally single threaded, so the splash screen exits you from your batch routine, and exiting it you might just end up at the command prompt without the remainder of the lines to be executed in the batch triggering.

This is not the problem. I of course mean no offense. I will get to the real problem in a moment. The problem, from where I am standing, has nothing to do with a login splash "eating keystrokes" or an issue with "threading" (I'm not really sure what you mean, tbh, if it was single-threaded one would expect tasks to execute synchronously).

Only way to make this work I think is by creating a TSR service that controls what is launched and when. But the TSR wouldnt be in batch, it would be like C or C++ or another DOS friendly language etc. You would have your TSR load into memory and run thru the batched like routine, and then the TSR can end when completed.

Another solution might be to use CALL to invoke the batch files from DOWNLOAD.BAT, that way DOWNLOAD.BAT doesn't end when NET.BAT does.

Without the CALL keyword, calling a batch file from a running  batch file does what is effectively known as "chaining". The first batch file is basically discarded and control is completely given to the new batch file. There is no psuedo stack frame- control does not return to the first batch file.

using "CALL" however means that the batch file will run, and  then control will return to the next command in the batch file that used CALL. The way those batches are written now, executing DOWNLOAD.BAT performs none of the tasks in driver.bat or netu.bat because control is passed over to net.bat. and when that finishes executing it goes back to the command prompt.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

pdesjar06

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:59:25 PM »
      To be honest I had them all in a single batch file to start and then started tinkering once I ran into this issue. I do also need to admit I never even thought about the batch calling a batch, oops! I really appreciate the replies, I will certainly give it a try as soon as I can. Right now, I'm fresh out of work and I'm ready to crash. I'll be back in a couple of days with an update on my progress. Thanks again!

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »

This is not the problem. I of course mean no offense.
      Hey BC no offense taken! If I make mistakes, I'd rather be corrected so that the correct information is conveyed to the member requesting help if I am incorrect, also I learn from my mistakes  ;D