Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSoD even when swapping over HD to a USB to retrieve data??  (Read 2232 times)

Kevinw

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    BSoD even when swapping over HD to a USB to retrieve data??
    « on: September 16, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »
    My apologies firstly, as I admit to joining the forum because I have a problem that I require help with, which does seem selfish for my first post I know.
    I have a laptop which has started to show the BSoD on startup. I tried going into bios and disabling cache etc, but the memory wasn’t accessible (solid blue colour). After many attempts to restart, sometimes it does, but only for a few minutes which isn’t enough time to try and run any fix-it apps, which is just as well, because the problem started after I used a registry program bug fixer!

Thought I would be clever and take the HD out of the laptop, connect it to my PC through a USB interface just to enable me to save my info (I have so many family pics and stuff that I don’t want to lose!!!), but when I plug it in I get the BSoD on my PC!
    I tried going in to admin and stopping autoplay of all drives, thinking that I could just go into the HD a different way without having it try an “boot up”, but the PC still just does the BSoD screen, with a Bad-Pool-Header message.
    I hope there is a workaround for this, as I have some irreplaceable stuff on my HD.
    I am running WinXP Pro on the LT and PC if this helps.
    Just a thought, if I had another operating system like Linux or something, would that stop me getting the BSoD whilst I retrieve my info from the HD?
    Thank you in anticipation.

Lisa_maree

Re: BSoD even when swapping over HD to a USB to retrieve data??
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
    If you have  a Linux boot Cd/DVD then it should access the drive without the BSOD. try booting first from the DVD without the usb drive connected. If it is recent Linux it should detect USB devices as they are plugged in so then just plug the usb drive in and copy the data. If the laptop will boot from the linux dvd then with the drive in the laptop there is disk tools in most linux versions to check the hard drive for errors and read the smart table. This would also allow transfer to a usb drive. Normally when a drive BSOd it cause by a corrupt partition table so data recovery software maybe necesary.

Kevinw

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
      Hi Lisa_maree
      Thank you for that, I will try and give that a go. It will probably take me a while to get a Linux CD (I have to find out how to do this first), but if I can download the program onto my wifes laptop, maybe I can make one.... anyway, I will give it a go.
      I think I may get a new (second) hd for my pc first, so I can do it without risking any problems with that.  It may be a day or so, but I will post how I get on, at least it may then help someone else.

Thanks again

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:10:58 AM »
      Post the entire BSOD message including the gibberish...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "