Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: recommend a program w/ new graphics card  (Read 3452 times)

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

recommend a program w/ new graphics card
    « on: September 16, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
    i just picked up a new graphics card today (nvidia 8400 GS by PNY) for the purpose of having 2 displays. I used to use a program called UltraMon with an nvidia 6400 or something, and the two did not cooperate, and as a result my computer was totally F'd in the A. The purpose of UltraMon was to extend the taskbar across both displays (a function not inherent with standard windows/nvidia software) as well as it gave me the option to run different background on each monitor (as opposed to the same cloned one with stock software).

Im looking for another program that will offer me similar capabilities, however i want to make sure the two are compatible this time. Can anyone recommend a good program? preferably freeware?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: recommend a program w/ new graphics card
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
    I would check sourceforge...and majorgeeks 1st if you're looking for a Free solution...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »
    Have you tried UltraMon with the new graphics card?

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:33:48 AM »
      Have you tried UltraMon with the new graphics card?
      not yet no. im scared to be honest haha

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:32:16 AM »
      Look here: http://alternativeto.net/software/ultramon/.  Sorry, I can't give any recommendations of the programs you see there because I haven't used any of them. 

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »
      Oh, I was going to mention that I have dual monitors on my Win XP computer and can have different desktop backgrounds on each monitor just by using the NVidia software I have installed.  I can't tell you at the moment what version of the NVidia driver I have installed; I believe it's the latest version for an GeForce FX 5500 chip.

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »
        Look here: http://alternativeto.net/software/ultramon/.  Sorry, I can't give any recommendations of the programs you see there because I haven't used any of them.
        i already have a full version of ultramon, but that link still helped a bunch. i ended up going with Actual Multiple Monitors. So far from what i can tell it works the best; it actually gives a second windows7-themed taskbar and second start menu (multi-mon had a windows-98 style taskbar, ultramon doesnt give the option of the second start menu). thanks guys!