Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't start  (Read 3204 times)

fdmask

computer won't start
« on: September 01, 2005, 09:16:12 AM »
I have an eMachine 1.8GHZ; 128mb RAM; WinXP Home. It will not startup.  When turned on the PS & CPU fans run, but nothing from the hard drive, and nothing on the monitor.  I did all the checks suggested from previous posts with this type of problem, Swapped PS , Memory, battery, etc., but nothing works.  If the BIOS was lost somehow, can it be replaced?  How can I check the Motherboard ?  Thanks

Raptor

Re: computer won't start
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 11:04:39 AM »
If the BIOS was lost somehow, can it be replaced?

Unless it was physically removed, it should still be there.

How can I check the Motherboard

Inspect it for burn marks or other damage.

It will not startup.

What has caused this to happen?

R0SS

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 11:28:09 AM »
Maby you have a virus.

fdmask

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 11:37:09 AM »
I removed the motherboard, inspected it, there are no signs of burns.  The computer was operating fine, shutdown, tried to turn it on the next day and this happened. I have no idea what to do now.  Is replacing the motherboard a feasible option?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 03:32:24 PM »
Is replacing the motherboard a feasible option?

If you have no experience removing or adding hardware, let an expert do it unless you feel you are capable of doing so.

If I were you, I would first replace the PSU with a known working one if possible.

Before you spend money: Did you reset the CMOS?

Did you check to see if the monitor cable is undamaged?

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 04:30:20 PM »
    if you unplug your hard drive do you get any error messages on screen?. Tried a diffrent Graphics card?. Or are you saying your Hard drive is Dead you should be able to feel it humming if you touch the top of it. Is the monitor light on. do you hear any beeps when you start the computer up.
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 05:10:54 PM by Frankie »

DUANE L

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 10:19:44 AM »
    i just took mine in for the same problem. turned out the modem was bad and wouldn't let anything else start up. this happened after the power went out from a storm. unhook everything one at a time and see if your computer boots up.  memory, modem, hard drives, cd-roms, etc.....

fdmask

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 06:42:48 PM »
    I did everything everyone suggested at least three times, and I still have the orginal problem.  I can replace the motherboard myself, but  unless I can find something wrong, don't think I will.  Think my money would be better spent on another computer.  thanks for all the input.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 07:32:00 AM »
    Disconnect and remove all hardware and cables. Then reinsert them or test them on other computers to eliminate the bad component.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 01:18:12 PM »
    run hard drive diagnostics..............does it post then dies?