Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Headphones/Speakers Problem (Working at the Same Time)  (Read 6186 times)

getzfan15

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Headphones/Speakers Problem (Working at the Same Time)
    « on: September 30, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »
    Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, as you can tell, I'm a newbie. Anyways, I'm having a bit of a problem with my headphones and speakers. It all started around a year ago. All of a sudden, my speakers stopped working, however, the headphones continued to work fine. Then, out of nowhere a few months later, my speakers magically began working again. Only problem is, my computer doesn't seem to recognize that I have headphones plugged in, so the speakers and headphones play sound at the same time. This is a major inconvenience because I like to listen to music and watch movies, but can't do so without disturbing others anymore. There might be something lodged in the headphone jack, as the headphones don't seem to go all the way in, but it still goes in enough to play sound through them. I've tried disabling the speakers themselves, but it blocks the sound from the headphones too.

So basically what I'm asking is, is there some way I can 'fool' the computer into thinking I've got headphones plugged in so I don't have to run both at the same time? Or any other way to fix it that doesn't involve high-cost repairs? Any help here would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm using a Gateway NV79 laptop running on Windows 7. It's a little over a year old.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Headphones/Speakers Problem (Working at the Same Time)
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »
    The laptop has only one port used for both the Headphone and External Speakers. Have you tried those cheap earphones for testing?

getzfan15

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:08:28 AM »
      The laptop has only one port used for both the Headphone and External Speakers. Have you tried those cheap earphones for testing?

Not sure I follow. What should I be testing?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:04:09 AM »
      Walkman/Portable Compact disc or Stereo Earphones. Are the speakers you refer to the laptop speakers(built-in)?

getzfan15

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:38:45 AM »
        Walkman/Portable Compact disc or Stereo Earphones. Are the speakers you refer to the laptop speakers(built-in)?

Yes, they're built in.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:12:32 AM »
        Walkman/Portable Compact disc or Stereo Earphones

You might have one of these lying around, or you could borrow one for testing your laptop speakers.
        If there are no more audio coming out from the onboard speakers, just by earphones, then its your headphone
        jack or cable that is faulty.

bhavesh

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:32:30 PM »
          sir i have acer aspire one  netbook in this the opened speaker not working only i plung ear fone or other device therw hedfone pluing then it is work but speaker not working how i solve this prob.. i format my notbook for this prob..but this was not gone what i do plllzzz riply