Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Does Not Boot Automatically Unless I Press Any Key  (Read 47809 times)

theng

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop Does Not Boot Automatically Unless I Press Any Key
    « on: October 04, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »
    I have an acer laptop model aspire 4741G with corei3 2.4 ghz processor and 4 gb amount of RAM. I am using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit operating system. Recently I noticed that my laptop doest not boot automatically anymore. It always stops the operation after displaying the press f2 option to enter setup. After that, nothing happens anymore, the display remains black until I have to press any key. Its only then that it continue to boot up and display the OS. I thought it was a software issue so tried to format the hard disk and so I did. After formatting the harddisk, the same problem occurs even if I changed the boot priority to the optical drive still it does not continue booting unless I press any key on the keyboard. Another thing that  I noticed was that the cursor on any application such as ms word or ms excel sometimes runs wild that I couldnt control. The cursor always runs on upward movement even if I am pointing my mouse on the desired direction. Please help me with this problem.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Laptop Does Not Boot Automatically Unless I Press Any Key
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:05:36 AM »
    What happens if you unplug your mouse? Have you tried resetting CMOS?
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

theng

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:50:30 AM »
      I did tried to remove the mouse and restarted the laptop, unfortunately, the same problem happens. I don't know how to reset the cmos of a laptop please tell me how.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:10:49 AM »
      http://www.ehow.com/how_8350968_reset-cmos-aspire-one-a150s.html
      I know its a different model, but the BIOS in your 4741G should be reasonably similar.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

theng

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:28:59 PM »
        where can  find the reset for the bios?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:00:54 AM »
        Power off your laptop if it is on.
        Restart the computer and   repeatedly press "F2" to enter the BIOS menu. Be sure to hit "F2" during   the first few seconds after turning the computer on. If the Windows XP   splash screen appears, restart the computer and  attempt to enter the   BIOS again.
        Press the "F9" keyboard button to load the default configuration. Highlight "Yes" and press enter to confirm. 
        Press the "F10" key to save the BIOS settings and exit. After exiting the BIOS, the computer will boot normally.
        From the above website I posted.

theng

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »
          Ok I'd tried it and it worked thanks a lot. But I have another problem with the cursor that runs wild. I have discovered the upward navigation arrow is too sensitive that only a very soft touch could effect the movement and if you use it repeatedly, the cursor starts to run wild. Is anything that can be done about it? It works perfectly before but now its annoying me.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
          Ok I'd tried it and it worked thanks a lot. But I have another problem with the cursor that runs wild. I have discovered the upward navigation arrow is too sensitive that only a very soft touch could effect the movement and if you use it repeatedly, the cursor starts to run wild. Is anything that can be done about it? It works perfectly before but now its annoying me.
          Dirty Keyboard?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 12:47:33 AM »
          Might wanna check on your Mouse Properties - Device Settings. http://www.ehow.com/how_7503880_disable-tap-thinkpad.html

theng

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
            The ehow did not worked-out. Actually it's only the upward navigational arrow that causes the wild movement of the cursor.Every time I press that arrow the cursor goes on upward movement continously it only stops when I press the downward arrow. I have tried to clean the keyboard but still it didn't help. Is there any way or procedure to remove and put back the navigational key so that I can check if there anything that obstract the operation of the key?please help.

Computer_Commando

Hacker

thongdt

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:26 PM »
              I'm using Acer Aspire 4741. I'm also have the same problem that it doesn't auto boot unless press any key. I've tried to reset CMOS as above but it does not work in my computer. Could any one suggest me other idea?
              Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »
              It may be a mechanical issue. On some Keyboards you can gently remove a key cap and see if there is something under it. Like a broken fingernail.

theng

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 01:36:54 AM »
                Is there any procedure or guide that I can refer to if I have to remove that upward navigational arrow of my keyboard and see if there's anything that causes the problem? Im not really sure of what to do Im afraid I might break the keyboard. I have found out that this navigational arrow causes the bios to adjust automatically Im not sure but everytime this navigational arrow doesn't react at all then its also the time when my laptop does not load the windows automatically but when the navigational arrows worked I restarted the laptop and reset the bios to the default setting, then it loaded the windows automatically. The last that's remaining on the problem is the wild movement of the upward navigational arrow everytime I use it. Now I am avoiding to use that navigational arrow because I hate to see the cursor run wild. Instead I use the mouse to point on the desired direction. But of course I want to get this problem solved. Please help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog

thongdt

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »
                  I've tried to disable the quiet boot option. So when the computer check device there are so many beep sounds. But it still can start if I press any key. May be my laptop has some problem in hardware, isn't it?

fpessoadesa

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »
                     I have just the same problem...
                    Still looking for the solution...
                    Disable fast boot on Windows 10, got a normal boot, but still have to press a key to keep going from Dell logo
                    Sometimes a screen move repeatedly  to up and pressing the up arrow it stops,
                    Did you try to plug a external keyboard?

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 08:01:06 PM »
                    He's been gone 4 months...
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fpessoadesa

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »
                      ...and six years

DaveLembke

Sage
                      « Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »
                      I have just the same problem...
                      Still looking for the solution...
                      Disable fast boot on Windows 10, got a normal boot, but still have to press a key to keep going from Dell logo
                      Sometimes a screen move repeatedly  to up and pressing the up arrow it stops,
                      Did you try to plug a external keyboard?

When system comes up if you go into notepad for example do all keys work properly? A hung POST can be a weak CMOS battery and it might not tell you that the battery is borderline. While not a laptop i had a desktop computer act up when battery was borderline, it held the date/time and that why I ignored the CMOS battery, but someone here years ago suggested checking battery and i checked it and it was low and replaced cmos battery and problem was solved.