Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RIP Steve Jobs  (Read 14351 times)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
RIP Steve Jobs
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
It would appear that Apple have confirmed that Steve Jobs has died, thoughts are with his family and friends. I won't link to anything as there are going to be so many.
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: RIP Steve Jobs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
I will link this

The apple website is already bogged down-very hard to access it.

In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 03:10:36 AM »
Ironic, just as the 4S is released.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:32:44 AM »
Ironic, just as the 4S is released.

Yes, perhaps the S should stand for "swan song": http://pomeroy.me/content/job-done

Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:39:10 AM »
Yes, perhaps the S should stand for "swan song": http://pomeroy.me/content/job-done
Good article - exactly my thoughts.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »
Thanks, kpac.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »
This is shocking.  He just recently stepped down from CEO, for health reasons, but I would have guessed he might be around for some years yet.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »
He just recently stepped down from CEO, for health reasons, but I would have guessed he might be around for some years yet.
He was only 56...and I had thought that his cancer been taken care of. In his address to Stanford in 2005 he said his pancreatic cancer tumour was cured and that he "hopes to be around for decades yet". No one ever knows.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »
I told my dad about this and he guffawed out loud while saying that this was "perfect timing." :(  *shakes head* I'm like "What the *censored*....?" and he said, "Check if Apple's stocks have dropped," followed by another burst of explosive laughter. I guess when you find Apple's products expensive you soon adopt a rather cynical view of Apple as a swindler trying to usurp money through psychological tactics which involve the famous but rather Orwellian "I'm a Mac, you're a PC" line.
I asked my mother and she was in a rather philosophical mood and cited the cliche, "The old have to make way for the new some day..." and said she would always keep the iPhone 3G she has owned for 3.5 years as a relic of technological genius.
I asked a few of my friends and acquaintances (most of who own at least one Apple product) and the majority said that this was all the more incentive to buy the 4S because this was the last product created with Steve Jobs in house. Some of them who have seen my rather unappealing computer motherboard rack have said that they would rather pay the price premium for a "more reliable" unibody iMac/MacBook than "generic cheapskate Windows computers" or "computers like yours without warranty." When I tell them about the specs:price ratio, they claim that "it works fine for us." Why make this

or this:

When you can buy this pre-made? It is shiny!

I have always seen Apple as a company like Louis Vuitton-it serves the same functional purpose as its cheaper counterparts-but its aesthetic appeal has transformed it into a symbol of status.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL
http://www.google.com/finance?cid=22144
Down by -0.23% as of now. :-\

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/mac-vs-pc-myth-busting-consumer-guide/
http://hunch.com/media/reports/macpc/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:00:46 PM by Transfusion »
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:17 AM »
Jobs hasn't been CEO for a while. In fact, I don't see any connection between Apple's generally higher price point and Steve Jobs. Prices didn't lower the first time he left the company. Additionally the "I'm a mac, I'm a PC commercials" were only within the last few years. It's interesting that you would use the term "Orwellian", particularly considering Apple's 1984 Super Bowl commercial.

Lastly, I would not say, that Steve Jobs was a technological Genius. For Apple's early days, that was Steve Wozniak. What Jobs was (it is going to take a while to get used to using the term was...) a genius at was Design philosophy.

Anyway, I made this earlier:

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 01:08:16 AM »
What Jobs was (it is going to take a while to get used to using the term was...) a genius at was Design philosophy.
http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-braun-products-hold-the-secrets-to-apples-future

Jobs hasn't been CEO for a while. In fact, I don't see any connection between Apple's generally higher price point and Steve Jobs. Prices didn't lower the first time he left the company.

Isn't (or Wasn't);) Apple basically Steve Jobs and his "Design Philosophy?" considering like you said before "They leave out a rather inordinate amount of features given the price premium"? People won't want to buy Apple products if they don't have the signature "design flair." Then Apple will be forced to lower prices.
While many of us “geeks” care about the specs of a product over design and easiness, the general public would much rather use an easy out of the box product that looks great, and in steps Apple.
from http://johnsiphone.com/people-love-apple-products/

http://hallicino.hubpages.com/hub/_86_Mac_Plus_Vs_07_AMD_DualCore_You_Wont_Believe_Who_Wins
This performance comparison should be the conclusion of the "user-friendly" debate.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:38:02 AM by Transfusion »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »
http://hallicino.hubpages.com/hub/_86_Mac_Plus_Vs_07_AMD_DualCore_You_Wont_Believe_Who_Wins
This performance comparison should be the conclusion of the "user-friendly" debate.
Exactly what conclusion do you think the article presents?  I'm not sure I'm on the same wave length with you so I'm wondering exactly what you're thinking.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »
Wow somebody dies and members on CH can turn it into a tit for tat... hows about we just respect Steve Jobs, pay our respects and walk away?

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

soybean

Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
Wow somebody dies and members on CH can turn it into a tit for tat... hows about we just respect Steve Jobs, pay our respects and walk away?
You're quite right.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »
Richard Stallman on Steve's death.
Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their freedom, has died.

As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.

Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be less effective.

Richard Stallman, you are the worst form of human that exists in our world today, you don't deserve any respect from anyone, and with comments like this you will never have mine.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »
Richard Stallman, you are the worst form of human that exists in our world today, you don't deserve any respect from anyone, and with comments like this you will never have mine.

But you will give credence to him? I would just not comment? Why bother?  If I killed myself then I would take no credence  from somebody that did not know me. These people are a leech on people, that have nothing better to do...they  will never have the full story just the shite that they make up on the spot. If you listen/believe them then more fool you... your just a tool in there quest to turn you into a pay check.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
But you will give credence to him? I would just not comment? Why bother?  If I killed myself then I would take no credence  from somebody that did not know me. These people are a leech on people, that have nothing better to do...they  will never have the full story just the shite that they make up on the spot. If you listen/believe them then more fool you... your just a tool in there quest to turn you into a pay check.

I honestly have no idea what you are saying here.

I can see you are firmly against this topic to actually having any discussion, though.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 05:09:42 PM »
Who ever knows what I'm saying? I sure don't? I'm not 'against' discussion, I'm just against turning this thread into a 'he said this' sort of thing. How's about we just leave this thread to people that want to say there bit to a man that will be missed and we make a new thread called 'Steve Jobs: The man the problems' and we all start discussing apple and there ethics there? 

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is.  He is really no more important than anyone else on this planet.  And it certainly doesn't affect my life either  :)
Evil is an exact science.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
How's about we just leave this thread to people that want to say there bit to a man that will be missed and we make a new thread called 'Steve Jobs: The man the problems' and we all start discussing apple and there ethics there? 
Or, I could talk about whatever I please wherever I please. If somebody dislikes that, they can report the post, but unless it is entirely off-topic or abusive it will come off as nothing more than whining that you cannot have dictatorship over the direction of a thread you started.

I don't see what the big deal is.  He is really no more important than anyone else on this planet.  And it certainly doesn't affect my life either  :)

He played a crucial role in the infancy of the desktop computer 'revolution'. the Apple I and Apple IIe helped change 'home computing' from something done in basements by electronics aficionados who built computers from "kits" with solder and know-how to something anybody can leverage in their day to day life, and the market that developed around the Apple IIe shaped part of gome computing for decades to come.

Here's something though, I've noticed a lot of the tribute art and stuff seems to use more recent photos/images of him. Am I the only one who always thought of the way he looked in earlier photographs when he was in his 20's?

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
Or, I could talk about whatever I please wherever I please. If somebody dislikes that, they can report the post, but unless it is entirely off-topic or abusive it will come off as nothing more than whining that you cannot have dictatorship over the direction of a thread you started.

I get that and would NEVER want to censor something on the forum, but I will say I'm not whining. I'm just stating a point. To whine is to suggest that I'm adding something superfluous and I'm not. I'm just saying lets all say good bye Steve and bother Apples ethics on another thread. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
I'm just saying lets all say good bye Steve and bother Apples ethics on another thread.
The only person who said anything about Apple's Ethics was Transfusion, and I chastised him for it-

I don't see any connection between Apple's generally higher price point and Steve Jobs.
that is, there is no reason to even talk about Apple itself as it stands in the greater computer marketplace in this context, since it's completely unrelated to Steve Jobs.

That was sort of why I posted the Stallman thing to, Stallman basically says "he's happy he's dead" (well, he says 'I'm not happy he's dead, I'm happy he's gone' but there is no difference between the two), all because he didn't agree with the philosophy behind the company that Steve founded, which is pretty dumb if you ask me. (that was sort of the sentiment I gathered from Transfusion as well, then some irrelevant stuff about Apple price points and some pointless pictures, which is presumably the bit you took exception to.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »
Here's something though, I've noticed a lot of the tribute art and stuff seems to use more recent photos/images of him. Am I the only one who always thought of the way he looked in earlier photographs when he was in his 20's?

Hehe, be careful there man, you're showing your age :)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »
Hehe, be careful there man, you're showing your age :)

Then I guess I know him better.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 01:29:13 AM »
I don't like Apple stuff. Never have. I share Stallman's feelings about Apple's philosophy and role and as far as Jobs personally is concerned, I feel as sad about his death as I would about any other super-rich American I never met. No more. No less.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 08:13:35 AM »
... as far as Jobs personally is concerned, I feel as sad about his death as I would about any other super-rich American I never met. No more. No less.
I can understand that perspective but I think perhaps it fails to see the unique contributions and achievements of individuals.  If I compare Jobs to ... oh, let's say ... Donald Trump, they both achieved wealth but in very different ways and from very different backgrounds.   I think one of the very admirable aspects of Jobs' life is he was poor in the beginning, which was why he dropped out of college, and yet he went on the lead a hugely successful company to to a level of $100 billion in sales in a market that reached out all over the world.  Trump, on the other hand, did not come from a dysfunctional and poor family background; his father had substantial real estate holdings and Don Trump continued down that path to make a fortune in real estate.  I also admire Jobs for his decision, extending over a period of years, to take a $1 salary.  Of course, he still became wealthy as a result of his involvement with the graphics animation production company, Pixar, that was bought by Disney for a multi-billion $ price, and from stock holdings in Apple, but he could have been much more greedy and extracted a multi-million $ compensation package like CEO's in many other large corporations. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
I don't like Apple stuff. Never have. I share Stallman's feelings about Apple's philosophy and role

So you agree that Steve Jobs has done "evils"? What malign influence did he have? how is Stallman's influence any more benign? etc.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 08:53:11 AM »
So you agree that Steve Jobs has done "evils"? What malign influence did he have? how is Stallman's influence any more benign? etc.

Well, maybe I wouldn't put it quite like he did, but I have always felt that Apple make computers for people who don't really like computers, and I just like Stallman's style. You could suggest that they are both famous people who should be viewed critically, and I would agree.

james64k

Starter

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
    Respect to Steve Jobs, for being innovative, for making the world better and being one of the first people to think of and create the first personal computer. Rest in peace.

And, I didn't expect that from Stallman. At least he could have just said nothing, instead of being hostile.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
    I do believe that one should think carefully about saying bad things about recently dead people - I suppose Hitler, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein etc may not count, but even then a little bit of tact is not a bad thing. After all, we're all going to die one day.

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • ThomasTheXPUser
    « Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
    Stallman is a sick human being. His ego is enormous, and he hasn't contributed much to the tech world. He uses Linus Torvalds' Linux kernel, and gives the man little to no credit : http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/195096/stallman_want_freedom_don_t_follow_linus_torvalds/. His political views are off the edge radical to the left: http://www.stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html  He hates big corporations, but without their innovation, he wouldn't have the Internet to bag on them. GNU didn't invent the Internet. He has the AUDACITY to use a .org for his own personal freaking website. I'd like to see Stallman launch a huge success like the iPhone (which I don't even like.) While Jobs was brilliant on the tech side, he was even better as a marketer. Outrageous prices aside, he had people foaming at the mouth for the latest gadget. His introduction of the Mac in 1984 made me cry a little when I watched it after his death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0FtgZNOD44 The world has lost an amazing tech innovator, and yet were stuck with that scum Stallman.

I don't like Apple stuff. Never have. I share Stallman's feelings about Apple's philosophy and role and as far as Jobs personally is concerned, I feel as sad about his death as I would about any other super-rich American I never met. No more. No less.

Fair enough. His (Jobs') improvements on existing tech, not inventions, have changed the way we do things.

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
    Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »
    Code: [Select]
    His political views are off the edge radical to the left
    To me, that's a good thing.

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • ThomasTheXPUser
    « Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »
    Code: [Select]
    His political views are off the edge radical to the left
    To me, that's a good thing.
    That radical?
    You think Iran's government is better than ours in some aspects? Because Stallman does!

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
    Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »
    This thread isn't supposed to  be about Stallman...

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 11:03:43 PM »
    It stopped being about Jobs after the 3rd or 4th post...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 11:52:03 PM »
    You think Iran's government is better than ours in some aspects?

What do you mean "ours", ?
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:00:46 AM by patio »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
    Patio, the line you edited is the punch line of a very old, very well known joke about the Lone Ranger and Tonto. I guess you never heard it?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 12:18:57 AM »
    I have in fact...just thought it would be mis-interpreted.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
    « Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 02:40:34 AM »
    I have in fact...just thought it would be mis-interpreted.

Well, come on now. What's the joke? You can't leave us hangin' like that...
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »
    Well, come on now. What's the joke? You can't leave us hangin' like that...

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are riding westwards, and on the horizon they see lots of injuns! "What shall we do, Tonto?" says the Lone Ranger. "Ride north!" says Tonto. After a bit they see lots of injuns on the northern horizon. "Ride east!" says Tonto. After a while they see lots of injuns on the eastern horizon. "Ride south!" says Tonto. Guess what? After a short while they see injuns on the southern horizon. (Thus they are surrounded.) "What shall we do now, Tonto?" says the Lone Ranger. "What do you mean, "we", white man?" says Tonto.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Space and Science
    « Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »
    Call me crazy but I'm thinking RIP Steve Jobs...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
    >"Slashdot"
    >"thought provoking"

>fabric of space time ripped asunder by logical impossibility

Salmon Trout

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 11:51:59 PM »
    >"Slashdot"
    >"thought provoking"

>fabric of space time ripped asunder by logical impossibility

Yes I know... especially since Cmdr Taco left.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »
    Yes I know... especially since Cmdr Taco left.
    I know that shouldn't be funny.
    But *bang*, it is....