Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RIP Steve Jobs  (Read 14344 times)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: RIP Steve Jobs
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »
Richard Stallman on Steve's death.
Richard Stallman, you are the worst form of human that exists in our world today, you don't deserve any respect from anyone, and with comments like this you will never have mine.

But you will give credence to him? I would just not comment? Why bother?  If I killed myself then I would take no credence  from somebody that did not know me. These people are a leech on people, that have nothing better to do...they  will never have the full story just the shite that they make up on the spot. If you listen/believe them then more fool you... your just a tool in there quest to turn you into a pay check.
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
But you will give credence to him? I would just not comment? Why bother?  If I killed myself then I would take no credence  from somebody that did not know me. These people are a leech on people, that have nothing better to do...they  will never have the full story just the shite that they make up on the spot. If you listen/believe them then more fool you... your just a tool in there quest to turn you into a pay check.

I honestly have no idea what you are saying here.

I can see you are firmly against this topic to actually having any discussion, though.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 05:09:42 PM »
Who ever knows what I'm saying? I sure don't? I'm not 'against' discussion, I'm just against turning this thread into a 'he said this' sort of thing. How's about we just leave this thread to people that want to say there bit to a man that will be missed and we make a new thread called 'Steve Jobs: The man the problems' and we all start discussing apple and there ethics there? 

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is.  He is really no more important than anyone else on this planet.  And it certainly doesn't affect my life either  :)
Evil is an exact science.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
How's about we just leave this thread to people that want to say there bit to a man that will be missed and we make a new thread called 'Steve Jobs: The man the problems' and we all start discussing apple and there ethics there? 
Or, I could talk about whatever I please wherever I please. If somebody dislikes that, they can report the post, but unless it is entirely off-topic or abusive it will come off as nothing more than whining that you cannot have dictatorship over the direction of a thread you started.

I don't see what the big deal is.  He is really no more important than anyone else on this planet.  And it certainly doesn't affect my life either  :)

He played a crucial role in the infancy of the desktop computer 'revolution'. the Apple I and Apple IIe helped change 'home computing' from something done in basements by electronics aficionados who built computers from "kits" with solder and know-how to something anybody can leverage in their day to day life, and the market that developed around the Apple IIe shaped part of gome computing for decades to come.

Here's something though, I've noticed a lot of the tribute art and stuff seems to use more recent photos/images of him. Am I the only one who always thought of the way he looked in earlier photographs when he was in his 20's?

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
Or, I could talk about whatever I please wherever I please. If somebody dislikes that, they can report the post, but unless it is entirely off-topic or abusive it will come off as nothing more than whining that you cannot have dictatorship over the direction of a thread you started.

I get that and would NEVER want to censor something on the forum, but I will say I'm not whining. I'm just stating a point. To whine is to suggest that I'm adding something superfluous and I'm not. I'm just saying lets all say good bye Steve and bother Apples ethics on another thread. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
I'm just saying lets all say good bye Steve and bother Apples ethics on another thread.
The only person who said anything about Apple's Ethics was Transfusion, and I chastised him for it-

I don't see any connection between Apple's generally higher price point and Steve Jobs.
that is, there is no reason to even talk about Apple itself as it stands in the greater computer marketplace in this context, since it's completely unrelated to Steve Jobs.

That was sort of why I posted the Stallman thing to, Stallman basically says "he's happy he's dead" (well, he says 'I'm not happy he's dead, I'm happy he's gone' but there is no difference between the two), all because he didn't agree with the philosophy behind the company that Steve founded, which is pretty dumb if you ask me. (that was sort of the sentiment I gathered from Transfusion as well, then some irrelevant stuff about Apple price points and some pointless pictures, which is presumably the bit you took exception to.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »
Here's something though, I've noticed a lot of the tribute art and stuff seems to use more recent photos/images of him. Am I the only one who always thought of the way he looked in earlier photographs when he was in his 20's?

Hehe, be careful there man, you're showing your age :)
Evil is an exact science.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »
Hehe, be careful there man, you're showing your age :)

Then I guess I know him better.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 01:29:13 AM »
I don't like Apple stuff. Never have. I share Stallman's feelings about Apple's philosophy and role and as far as Jobs personally is concerned, I feel as sad about his death as I would about any other super-rich American I never met. No more. No less.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 08:13:35 AM »
... as far as Jobs personally is concerned, I feel as sad about his death as I would about any other super-rich American I never met. No more. No less.
I can understand that perspective but I think perhaps it fails to see the unique contributions and achievements of individuals.  If I compare Jobs to ... oh, let's say ... Donald Trump, they both achieved wealth but in very different ways and from very different backgrounds.   I think one of the very admirable aspects of Jobs' life is he was poor in the beginning, which was why he dropped out of college, and yet he went on the lead a hugely successful company to to a level of $100 billion in sales in a market that reached out all over the world.  Trump, on the other hand, did not come from a dysfunctional and poor family background; his father had substantial real estate holdings and Don Trump continued down that path to make a fortune in real estate.  I also admire Jobs for his decision, extending over a period of years, to take a $1 salary.  Of course, he still became wealthy as a result of his involvement with the graphics animation production company, Pixar, that was bought by Disney for a multi-billion $ price, and from stock holdings in Apple, but he could have been much more greedy and extracted a multi-million $ compensation package like CEO's in many other large corporations. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
I don't like Apple stuff. Never have. I share Stallman's feelings about Apple's philosophy and role

So you agree that Steve Jobs has done "evils"? What malign influence did he have? how is Stallman's influence any more benign? etc.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 08:53:11 AM »
So you agree that Steve Jobs has done "evils"? What malign influence did he have? how is Stallman's influence any more benign? etc.

Well, maybe I wouldn't put it quite like he did, but I have always felt that Apple make computers for people who don't really like computers, and I just like Stallman's style. You could suggest that they are both famous people who should be viewed critically, and I would agree.

james64k

Starter

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
    Respect to Steve Jobs, for being innovative, for making the world better and being one of the first people to think of and create the first personal computer. Rest in peace.

And, I didn't expect that from Stallman. At least he could have just said nothing, instead of being hostile.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
    I do believe that one should think carefully about saying bad things about recently dead people - I suppose Hitler, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein etc may not count, but even then a little bit of tact is not a bad thing. After all, we're all going to die one day.