Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win2000 install misses files ????  (Read 4760 times)

esri

win2000 install misses files ????
« on: September 05, 2005, 09:46:41 AM »
Hi,

I try to install Win2000 on a fresh formatted hdd. Everything went fine until in the form-filling part of the installation when the graphic system is already up and running it says it misses a file and I get the dialog to show the installation the right path to the file. I cancelled this but the next file is also missing and so on. The CD cannot be damaged, I always handle it with care and I successfully installed Windows 2000 not for the first time from it.

So I have not the faintest idea why it does not work this time. Does anybody have a helpful hint?
Thanx.

mrpayaso

Re: win2000 install misses files ????
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 11:10:29 AM »
ive been having the same problem. i have a winfast K7S 741MG that had XP. it started to screw up so i decided to do a clean install and it keeps saying corrupt files or missing files . it does the same with win 2000. i managed to get WINME  installed, but it continuesly has runtime and dll errors. if you learn anything please let me know. >:( frustratin aint it?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »
You need to install the correct drivers. It is not missing files, it merely asks for them in order to properly communicate with the hardware.

esri

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »
Why it asks me for the correct drivers, it was at a point at which the installation should be pretty over the essential hardware configuration and furthermore I really don't understand it, because it worked fine more than one time before.
The installation shoulde be able to load the necessary drivers from the cd alone.  ???

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 04:36:24 AM »
Not all hardware is automatically installed because the drivers are not on the Windows 2000 CD.

You need to download drivers from the manufacturers webpage in order to resolve the situation.

esri

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 05:57:44 AM »
Ok, I understand that. But the one and only thing which I have changed is the mainboard.  And I would say if the installation had a problem with it, it would have cancelled at  the first phase of it and not during the final steps. I mean the mainboard is quite an essential part. It never had a problem with the other hardware, which is not new and had had this Windows before.
I have a driver cd from the mainboard, but it is not bootable and has just drivers for onboard sound, gfx & lan.

Can it be that it was just a bit dirt, shaken loose in the cdrom drive during the mainboard change?

Mac

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 06:57:07 AM »
I personally think that the data fades with aging. They may even be made that way.

When I have problems like you are describing I first of all make a copy of the CD in question to a good quality CDR.

You need to use a virus-free computer and allow the copy to go to the hard drive first of all then to the copy CD using data verification.

Next step is to slipstream the older CDs with the current service pack and burn an XP SP2 CD or a Widows 2000 SP4 CD.

You can also get more chance of an error free install by gently washing the CD.

There should be no scratches, especially on the label side, and if the CD ever gets cracked you'll need a new one as oxydisation sets in and data simply disappers completely.

"Make sure that the CD(s) you are using is/are scrupulously clean. You can wash them in luke-warm water with two drops of mild soap solution mixed in and a soft sponge, then gently dry with a clean linen cloth. Doing this simple task very often solves the problem of read errors from the CD and ensures a smooth install."

Because of problems like this I always make a copy of all new CDs and lock the originals away in a dark damp-free environment and always in a jewel case and not a paper sleeve.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 07:08:19 AM »
is regards Windows 2000, not XP.

Ok, I understand that. But the one and only thing which I have changed is the mainboard.

Changing the motherboard without reformatting can throw the OS into chaos.

Mac

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 07:28:52 AM »
You usually find that there are updated drivers and additional drivers in the latest service pack.

If the CD has the latest service pack then so much the better.