Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Boot-Up  (Read 6052 times)

Blookah

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Don't Stop Believin'!!
    Slow Boot-Up
    « on: September 05, 2005, 02:14:33 PM »
    I just reformatted my hard drive to try and rid my PC of it's demon's and I now have an extremely slow boot-up time. The last program to load is my antivirus software and it seems to take forever. Was there a certain order I should have followed when installing my drivers, programs etc back to my hard drive and if so, can I remedy what I may have done wrong without having to reformat again?
    Thanks in advance,
    BG
    Thank you,
    Blookah

Raptor

Re: Slow Boot-Up
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 02:25:16 PM »
    What programs are installed and loaded at start up?

Blookah

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Don't Stop Believin'!!
      « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »
      I have to run an errand and will reply as soon as I return late this afternoon.
      Thx,
      BG
      Thank you,
      Blookah

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 02:44:53 PM »
      disconnect from the net.......boot to safemode{hold down the f8 on boot -up}..then....type msconfig in the run box and disable msoft services.........and re-boot pc.........to test the boot up speed.......or use hibenation ....mode........how long does it take your pc to boot?
      « Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 02:45:47 PM by merlin_2 »

Blookah

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Don't Stop Believin'!!
        « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 08:51:49 PM »
        OK I went and disabled all the MS services in safe mode, rebooted with a much faster time, but followed the prompts and changed everything back to the previous status. What does that tell me and what do I do now?
        Thank you,
        Blookah

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 10:48:25 PM »
          That's no problem.

Windows just keeps track of the changes you do, so it warns you.

You can remove the unwanted things from startup.
          Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Blookah

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Don't Stop Believin'!!
            « Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 11:03:01 PM »
            How do I know whats OK or not OK to remove?
            Thank you,
            Blookah

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 11:25:15 PM »
              Its a trial and error situation.

Start form removing all. If on booting it says something is not running.

Just check it on.
              Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Mac

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 07:11:53 AM »
              How much RAM does your system have? Has it always had the same amount of RAM, and how many programs have you added over the years?

I usually find that adding more RAM solves most problems, as most mainboards will usually hold more RAM than is fitted (unless sold with the 4 x 1024 MB maximum for 2000/XP) as they are usually sold with the - minimum - amount of RAM necessary to run the software that they come packaged with.

So when buying a new computer - always - ask to have additional RAM fitted if this option is open to you and you can afford to do so.

512 MB is a minimum for 2000/XP if you plan on doing - any - multitasking.

Many newer computers are fitted with 1024 MB as standard, simply to allow people to play 'high-end' games, but Professional users - often - have 1024 MB RAM, or more, fitted for large Office and Imaging programs used in multi-tasking, especially when an internet Browser and an Email client are running at the same time, plus scheduled anti-virus or other scanners and where automatic defragmenting programs are allowed to start up automatically.

Some defragmenting programs will operate 'seamlessly' so that you don't notice, only working when you stop using the computer for a few seconds or the processor is idling but many scanners do not operate seamlessly and need to be allowed for.
              « Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 07:17:32 AM by Mac »

Mac

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 07:14:26 AM »
              How did you do the re-formatting and, if you type - cmd - in a run window and then type - chkdsk - at the prompt do you see - 4096 bytes in each allocation unit - on the Command screen? (512 will make for a slow computer.) (Assuming NTFS - FULL - formatting.)

Are any bad sectors being reported?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 07:17:03 AM by Mac »

Mac

Re: Clean and Optimise.
              « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 07:19:25 AM »
              "Run Disk Cleanup and remove all but the last restore point. See if your System Restore cache and Recycle Bin size is set at a reasonable level (Say 1024MB) on each drive, and reduce the IE Temporary Internet Files cache and History cache to the minimum. Install CCLeaner and clean out all of the junk files. Unhide all files and folders and remove the hotfix uninstallers ( $NTUninstaller$ ) from the hidden C:\Windows folder and remove their entries from Add-Remove programs.
              (Note: Some Security updates should NOT be removed so check in add-remove programs - before - doing this task.)
              Then remove the contents of:

The C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations folder
              The C: WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
              The C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder
              The C:\Windows\pchealth\helpctr\Datacoll folder, and...
              The C:\Windows\Prefetch folder

(You can add these folders to EmpTemp if you have this program installed.) Then run chkdsk and defrag."

Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files

EmpTemp & CCLeaner File Cleaner

To make your shutdown work cleanly install the...  User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

TweakUI is useful to have for certain repairs, as well as for performance tweaks... POWERTOYS

Backup your registry and optimise it too, for a faster boot-up... ERUNT-NTREGOPT
              « Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 07:20:50 AM by Mac »

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 07:28:11 AM »
              Try using this program.