Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Now that I have my files back, how do I find out whats in them?  (Read 9290 times)

Doug

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Re: Now that I have my files back, how do I find out whats in them?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 07:42:42 PM »
When I downloaded Sharepod, it goes into this folder and notice in the orange circle there is a command to extract the files.  Once you click on this it will put the extracted files in another file and then you can delete this folder.  As an example.

I hope that helps alittle.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »
What does all this have to do with sharepod ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Doug

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »
Isn't he having trouble finding files or folders that are zipped or something?  I just added that to show him what I see when I download a zipped file.  Sharepod is just an example.  His other thread got closed and I felt like trying to add something that might help.  So, for him, that's what you see when you download a zipped file.  Maybe this little info will help him figure something out.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »
Well done...i mis-understood the explanation.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
    So should I download Sharepod? Doug, what you circled above is the samething I get when I do it. In other words, I can get to the files, thats not the problem. Im just trying to find out whats in them easier.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »
    So should I download Sharepod? Doug, what you circled above is the samething I get when I do it. In other words, I can get to the files, thats not the problem. Im just trying to find out whats in them easier.

See what i meant Doug ? ?

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »
      Im trying to explain this the best I can. I mean the truth is just like what the post says I have the files and I want to see whats in them.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 08:56:05 PM »
      Not if they are zip files...
      Each zip needs to be openrd to view...
      What app is creating all these zip files ? ?

garybear

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
      Hi here is a Zip file. I have all my down loads in it. If I want to see what in Zip file, I have to open it with right click. Then I will be able to see all my down loads. Why are you putting things in zip folders(files) and not naming it? This tells me all my down loads are in this Zip.
      If you right click my zip you will see all my down loaded Apps. My zips open with Windows Explorer!

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]
      « Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:00:24 PM by garybear »

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »
        Garybear, I looked at your link and its the samething that I have. You asked a question about why am I putting things in zip folders (files) and not naming it. I didnt even know that the files were saved. Believe me, if I knew all the trouble I was going to have, I would have named them. But again, all I did was backup the files and I had no idea about zip folders or files.

garybear

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
        Garybear, I looked at your link and its the samething that I have. You asked a question about why am I putting things in zip folders (files) and not naming it. I didnt even know that the files were saved. Believe me, if I knew all the trouble I was going to have, I would have named them. But again, all I did was backup the files and I had no idea about zip folders or files.
        Hello friend!! What are in these zips? Music, pictures, videos,ect. If it's a App.just extract the files. If it's something you have saved and put in a zip, you have no choice but to open them and  move them where you know what they are. If they are pictures, put them in pictures. Do you know how to use Snipping Tool? Send some screen shots of the zip files. How many zips do you have? Where are your zip files located? You have every one here confused. These are some of the nicest people here at Computer Hope in the world and very smart.
        We need a liitte more explanation of your problem. Screen shots would really be nice! Don't get discouraged, some one will help you!
        garybear!

garybear

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 10:29:59 PM »
        Sorry! some how I doubled posted. Only way I know to get rid is to modify. Moderator can delete this reply.
        Thank you!!
        Don't want to waste a reply!
        http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/zip-or-unzip-a-file-HA001127690.aspx
        « Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:52:19 PM by garybear »

garybear

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »
        Hello friend!! I don't save much data on my C drive. Here is a snippet of Windows explorer!  Any data I want to save goes on a external HD drive. My C drive is mostly just my OS. All my picture ect goes on a external HD.
        I hope this helps.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
          Hello friend!! What are in these zips? Music, pictures, videos,ect. If it's a App.just extract the files. If it's something you have saved and put in a zip, you have no choice but to open them and  move them where you know what they are. If they are pictures, put them in pictures. Do you know how to use Snipping Tool? Send some screen shots of the zip files. How many zips do you have? Where are your zip files located? You have every one here confused. These are some of the nicest people here at Computer Hope in the world and very smart.
          We need a liitte more explanation of your problem. Screen shots would really be nice! Don't get discouraged, some one will help you!
          garybear!

There are music, videos and documents in the zips. You mention that if they are saved and put in a zip, I have to open them and move them to know what they are. How would be able to do that?

I saw your thumbnails that you posted and the setup that you have is exactly like mine. Im just saying is there any easier way to access the files?

garybear

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:43 PM »
          Hi Jack! I'm still a little confused about what you are wanting to do. I'm thinking you probably read some where that zipping files would take up less space on your drive. That's probably true. I never even thought of some thing like that. I don't know of any way to know what's in a zip unless you open it. What are you wanting to do?? If you open the zip, then you can copy and paste each file to a new folder. You can name that folder and then you will know what's in that folder. There are endless ways to organize and name your folders.
          Create a folder named country music. Open a zip file. Copy and paste all the country songs. Create  another folder and name it jazz. Copy and paste all your jazz to that folder. Do this till you have every thing organized and in a folder that you recognize.
          I hope I have answered your question. I'm just not real sure what your trying to accomplish. Maybe some one here can help us. The only way I know to know what's in a folder is give it a name and put files in that folder that are related to that folder.
          Are you able to open these zips?? I have music folders and I have picture folders. It's like a giant file cabinet. You have folders with names and you have files in each folder with names??
          PS I could use some help with this from a guru here on Computer Hope. ;) :)