Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: network at school screwing computers  (Read 4826 times)

13fontad

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Beginner
    network at school screwing computers
    « on: October 21, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
    Dear Friends,

I am at school trying to help my teachers out with a network problem. 
    The school is hooked up to a school network and this is what the computers run on so you can log in to your specific account number.

some computers work and some say that the network is unavalible. can some one help me describe how to make sure that these laptops are always connected to our school network.

Denis

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: network at school screwing computers
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
    13fontad,
    Welcome back to CH. You have been here before, so you know we need a lot of info before we can help you.

A LAN with over eight computers on at once  ought to have a domain controller. Do you understand what this means? Is there a  computer that is the domain controller?

You have windows 7 on your computer. Are most or all students use laptops with either Vista or Windowsn7? Do you ever have connectivity issues on yours?

How large is the campus? Is this a wireless or WI-Fri system that covers a large are with two nor more Access Points?

Some security concerns.

The forum will want to know if you have authority to make any changes into the network system and you you have permission to troubleshoot individual computers? Don't you have a teacher nor unteach assistant that has administrative oversight of the network? Can't he/she come to the forum and post a descriptions of the problem?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: network at school screwing computers
    « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:57:55 AM »
    A LAN with over eight computers on at once  ought to have a domain controller.

I'm sorry to be so contentious, but this statement is false.  Is this even a Windows network?

Certainly a lot more information is needed regarding this network.  Is there a DHCP controller?  Static IP addresses?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos