Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Yahoo Instant Messenger and Possibly Explorer.exe  (Read 28936 times)

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Problem with Yahoo Instant Messenger and Possibly Explorer.exe
    « on: October 24, 2011, 12:27:07 AM »
    My specs are:

Windows Vista 64-bit Home
    4 GB RAM
    768 MB NvIdia Geforce 9600 GS
    Intel I7 740 quad-core 64-bit procesor at 2.93 GHZ.
    Yayhoo v. 8.1.0.421

Problem:

For the last month, month and a half, I've been having a curious problem with Yahoo Instant Messenger randomly crashing. The problem does not seem to be caused by anything specific, and occasionally will act up very frequently (once it crashed three times in five minutes), while other times it will take several housr between crashes. I have tried reinstalling Yahoo to no effect. The problem persists.

I also seem to have found a connection to explorer.exe in this problem. Not every time, but in many instances, Yahoo's crash will lead to a general or partial freezing of explorer.exe. That is, I won't be able to close Yahoo through the error prompt, and have to logoff from Windows in order to fix the problem. I cannot even bring up the Task Manager as explorer.exe is mostly frozen. This problem is exacerbated when I am AFK and don't close the error prompt immediatly and restart Yahoo.

Moreover, tonight I noticed something especially odd: The crash seems to affect explorer.exe even when it doesn't crash it. I noticed this because my clock in the bottom right corner was frozen 45 minutes in the past (I had left my computer running while I was AFK). As such, I am beginning to suspect that it may be explorer.exe causing the problem with Yahoo, not the other way around.

I also occasionally get script errors in Yahoo that asks me if I want to stop running this script. This does not always happens, but happens frequently. Internet Explorer (I have version 8 ) also has been having frequent problems with "this window is busy..." errors and other problems.

Any idea what I can do to fix these matters?

Thanks in advance.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problem with Yahoo Instant Messenger and Possibly Explorer.exe
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
    I want to stop running this script
    On your IE Internet options, Advance tab/Browsing  - Checkmark Disable Script Debugging for IE and Others and uncheck Display a notification about every script error.  Put a checkmark also on Empty temporary folders when browser is closed.  Hit Apply then reopen browser. If nothing changes use the Reset button on your Advanced tab. Clear your caches by using this Ccleaner to clear other junk files. Make sure you have the latest java installed and that it is enabled on your IE browser http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
    The latest is on version 7. Download free http://www.superantispyware.com/ install, run then update before making a full scan of any tracking cookies.
    Another free Malware removal software is http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    Same with Supernatispyware, update before making a full scan.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
      On your IE Internet options, Advance tab/Browsing  - Checkmark Disable Script Debugging for IE and Others and uncheck Display a notification about every script error.  Put a checkmark also on Empty temporary folders when browser is closed.  Hit Apply then reopen browser. If nothing changes use the Reset button on your Advanced tab. Clear your caches by using this Ccleaner to clear other junk files. Make sure you have the latest java installed and that it is enabled on your IE browser http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
      The latest is on version 7. Download free http://www.superantispyware.com/ install, run then update before making a full scan of any tracking cookies.
      Another free Malware removal software is http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
      Same with Supernatispyware, update before making a full scan.

Gotcha. Doing all of the above. I have the paid-for Malware bytes, and I'll be doing both runs. Although I did just do a full Malware Bytes run hardly a few hours ago.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
        All right, I came home and the scans were done. Nothing was found but some tracking cookies with SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes found no.

I did notice I screwed up and forgot to check one of the options.

I haven't had the problem yet. If it happens, I'll edit this post.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:07:42 PM »
          Use also this one if you forgot http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

I did that, too. Sorry to omit an explicit reference to it.

But yes: I am afraid that didn't work. I just had Yahoo crash and I had to logoff Windows in order to fix it. Any further suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help, by the way.

Oh, and I installed the suggested Java instead of Java 7. Should I just go ahead and do 7? It said it was still in the beta stage and they'd recommend the 6.7 or whatever the most recent one was.
          « Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:20:52 PM by DrSatanDracula »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:13:12 AM »
          Lets try using a clean boot in vista - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Should I just go ahead and do 7?
          http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,124381.0.html

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:12 AM »
            Lets try using a clean boot in vista - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
             http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,124381.0.html

Sounds good. I'll get back to you after I do it. Thanks again. :)

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:42:30 PM »
              All right, sorry to take so long to respond. I had several busy days.

Yesterday I spent about four-five hours in a cleanboot. During that time period, Yahoo did not crash.

Went back to a regular boot tonight and Yahoo has crashed six times. I originally thought it may have been Yahoo Updater, but apparently that is not it as Yahoo Updater is not running and the problem is occuring as randomly as ever.

This is the error message in the event log:

Faulting application YahooMessenger.exe, version 8.1.0.421, time stamp 0x46d76392, faulting module MSVCR71.dll, version 7.10.3052.4, time stamp 0x3e561eac, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00011e30, process id 0x16c0, application start time 0x01cc99e137035fa6.

+ System

- Provider

[ Name]  Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers]  0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2011-11-03T04:33:00.000Z

EventRecordID 42239

Channel Application

Computer

Security

- EventData

YahooMessenger.exe
                 46d76392
                 MSVCR71.dll
                 3e561eac
                 c0000005
                 00011e30
                 16c0
                 01cc99e137035fa6

I've also found that my mouse is noticably slower with the full boot up. When I was in the clean boot, the mouse was significantly faster. I found that this .dll file mentioned had something to do with the mouse. Could this be an indication of something wrong?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 11:52:37 PM »
              Yesterday I spent about four-five hours in a cleanboot. During that time period, Yahoo did not crash.
              Did you follow thoroughly the instruction or steps in enabling or disabling services items while on clean boot?
              Step 2: Enable half of the Services items

1. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
               2. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Services list.
               3. Click OK.
               4. When you are prompted, click Restart
              You will know with some items disabled that Yahoomessenger crashes or not. By enabling each or two services on every reboot and causes your Ymess to malfunction during this troubleshooting, you will know what service needs to be disabled or reinstalled. Follow the complete guidelines on the given link and post what is causing the issue.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
                Did you follow thoroughly the instruction or steps in enabling or disabling services items while on clean boot?You will know with some items disabled that Yahoomessenger crashes or not. By enabling each or two services on every reboot and causes your Ymess to malfunction during this troubleshooting, you will know what service needs to be disabled or reinstalled. Follow the complete guidelines on the given link and post what is causing the issue.

Yes, I followed your directions to the T.

I will do the more extensive boot process soon. Thank you.

Right now, I have the following services running (exluding MS):

Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor
                LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service
                MBAMService
                NMSAccessU
                TVersityMediaServer

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                « Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:22 PM »
                Any of the recent process enabled or checked from the services list would be causing the yahoo messenger crashes.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
                  Any of the recent process enabled or checked from the services list would be causing the yahoo messenger crashes.

Okay. With three of those services still running, Yahoo has crashed three times tonight. The three services:

Intel
                  Mbam
                  TVersity

I closed Intel now, too. I also updated TVersity, but that did not change the error. Moreover, I've had Tversity for about...5 years now and have not had any problems. I've also had it installed for two years on this computer and did not have these problems with Yahoo till a few months ago.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                  « Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »
                  Leave one unchecked and two with checkmarks alternately on those 3 services and lets see what particular software/component it causes yahoo to crash.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »
                    With MBamService and TVersity checked, Intel unchecked, my Yahoo crashed after two, five hour stretches where it didn't. I was beginning to hope I found the problem, too.

Update: It crashed -twice-. Not more than ten minutes apart. After not crashing for ten hours cumulatively. What the heck?

I'll be trying it with just Intel and TVersity while I sleep in a few hours. If it still crashes here, it'd single out Malware Bytes (?!) as the culprit.

Thanks so much for all your help here.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                    « Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 12:28:40 AM »
                    Check also if you are using Windows firewall only and that Ymess is allowed. I am currently running the version 10 of yahoo messenger and I think a more later version is out and the same also with Java and Adobe .

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 10:06:11 AM »
                      All right. It crashed without MBam. I guess that narrows it down to TVersity.

How about should I solve this problem? It's odd: I didn't have any problem with TVersity for two years.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »
                        Check also if you are using Windows firewall only and that Ymess is allowed. I am currently running the version 10 of yahoo messenger and I think a more later version is out and the same also with Java and Adobe .

I am not using Windows Firewall. I have that crap turned off. Useless. :)

I have Java (as per your request) and Adobe updated.

Yahoo does have a more updated messenger, but the messenger's functionality in newer versions is absolute crap.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
                          I just noticed another thing relating to this problem: It tends to act up around this time (midnight EST). Again, hours went by with no crash. Then all of a sudden a bunch of crashes occurred.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                          « Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 10:51:33 PM »
                          Then all of a sudden a bunch of crashes occurred.
                          What's the latest update? Have you checked all services except for the other 3 while running yahoo messenger? If you are keeping a Ymess version 8 installer, let's try using the latest version on the problem. Uninstall the Ymess v.8 by Ccleaner -Tools then Run uninstaller. Meanwhile, download the latest version of Ymess and install. You could always revert to version 8 if you still have the previous.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »
                            What's the latest update? Have you checked all services except for the other 3 while running yahoo messenger? If you are keeping a Ymess version 8 installer, let's try using the latest version on the problem. Uninstall the Ymess v.8 by Ccleaner -Tools then Run uninstaller. Meanwhile, download the latest version of Ymess and install. You could always revert to version 8 if you still have the previous.

Okay. This is troublesome:

I turned off TVersity (in the services MSConfig) and................Yahoo still crashed.

Update: Not only has it crashed once, but -three- times. It is definitively NOT Tversity now. Or at least: Not TVersity alone.

Is it possible that multiple programs are causing the same problem? Should I also reinstall the .dll file indicated in the error report?

And yes, only MS services are up besides Yahoo.

I'll see about the Yahoo upgrade.

Thank you very much.
                            « Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:38:31 PM by DrSatanDracula »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                            « Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »
                            How is everything running? Have you upgraded yahoo messenger?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 12:48:30 AM »
                              How is everything running? Have you upgraded yahoo messenger?

I didn't try out the new Yahoo because of the issues in the last post. As I noted: It turns out that it was not TVersity causing the problem, as even with TVersity service off (and the computer rebooted as per MSconfig's demand) the problem repeatedly happened.

Should I replace the DLL indicated in the error reports? Likewise, is it possible that -multiple- programs are causing the crashes? It's either multiple programs or else those three programs themselves are not to blame.

I also had to just now re-install Java to the most updated version of 6 available, due to repeatedly getting errors saying that Java was not installed on my system (I double checked - it was). Both Firefox and IE were having issues with several webpages not accepting Java version 7. Should I uninstall Java 7 now?

I attached a picture to show both Javas installed.

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

Echo

Beginner
                              • Addicted to online games
                                « Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »
                                i am not a computer Genius by any means but i had the exact same problem. I unintsalled yahoo and reinstalled it, then un-linked myself from facebook both through yahoo and facebook.  That cleared up my problem and nothing is crashing anymore/or freezing up. I am sorry if i came on your link with with but u nvr no....
                                Computer: Windows 7 ultimate/SP3,/680i lite Sli mobo/512MB DDR3 NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX/  (2GB kit (1GB x 2 Balistix 240-pin DIMM (ALIENWARE) (12/10 new hd)-seagate barracuda 7200.2 1 TB -7200rpm 32mbcache sata 3.0gb 3.5 Internal harddrive

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »
                                  i am not a computer Genius by any means but i had the exact same problem. I unintsalled yahoo and reinstalled it, then un-linked myself from facebook both through yahoo and facebook.  That cleared up my problem and nothing is crashing anymore/or freezing up. I am sorry if i came on your link with with but u nvr no....

I don't have Facebook, but I'll try reinstalling it again and making sure there are no connections attached.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                  « Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »
                                  Both Firefox and IE were having issues with several webpages not accepting Java version 7. Should I uninstall Java 7 now?
                                  No. You should keep Java 7 update 1 (64 bit). Remove Java update 6 update 29 and Java SE Development Kit 7 Update 1(64bit). You only need Java7u1.
                                  Lets use System File Checker http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
                                  Did you instal Java 7 update 1(64 bit) separately? I do not use Tveristy but is that a free version you are using? If yes, might wanna remove first from the system and install it after checking on certain crashes. To be sure , you must first try to update to the latest version of yahoo messenger before proceeding.  Steps to try :
                                  1.Remove two Java 6u29 and Java SDK7u1. Keep Java7u1 as the latest version.
                                  2.Run sfc/ scannow. see link.
                                  3.Upgrade to latest YM after removing the current.
                                  4.Remove Tversity(if free version) to be reinstalled if nothing changes.
                                  What antivirus and protection softwares are installed?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2011, 08:40:03 AM »
                                    No. You should keep Java 7 update 1 (64 bit). Remove Java update 6 update 29 and Java SE Development Kit 7 Update 1(64bit). You only need Java7u1.
                                    Did you instal Java 7 update 1(64 bit) separately? I do not use Tveristy but is that a free version you are using? If yes, might wanna remove first from the system and install it after checking on certain crashes. To be sure , you must first try to update to the latest version of yahoo messenger before proceeding.  Steps to try :

1. Okay. I'll uninstall the other Java versions and see if IE and Mozilla will recognize Java 7.0. If not, what should I do?

2. Running scannow as we speak.

3. I'll try this later tonight.

4. I'll try this first (before 3) in order to see whether TVersity is what is causing the problem.

My only running anti-virus program is Malware Bytes (purchased). I also have Super Anti-spyware, but I don't run it in the background like I do Malwarebytes.

patio

• Genius
                                    • Maud' Dib
                                      • Yes
                                    « Reply #27 on: November 12, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »
                                    MBAM is not an A/V app...

You should consider adding Avast, Avira or Microsoft Security Essentialss...all of which have Free versions...

NOTE: Pick and install only 1...
                                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »
                                      MBAM is not an A/V app...

You should consider adding Avast, Avira or Microsoft Security Essentialss...all of which have Free versions...

NOTE: Pick and install only 1...

It isn't? Since when? Are you sure with the purchased version? Because I have active protection with the purchased version. It stops malicious files from executing. It removes viruses. It even prevents rogues.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 08:50:45 AM »

Jason, in the CBS log the following files were found to be corrupt (all on one theme it seems):

2011-11-12 10:37:04, Info                  CSI    0000015e [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:72{36}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar"\[l:24{12}]"settings.ini"; source file in store is also corrupted

2011-11-12 10:39:17, Info                  CSI    000001de [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:84{42}]"\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar"\[l:24{12}]"settings.ini"; source file in store is also corrupted

2011-11-12 10:41:57, Info                  CSI    000002d8 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:72{36}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar"\[l:24{12}]"settings.ini"; source file in store is also corrupted

No other corrupted files were found.

soybean

Genius
                                        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                                        • Computer: Specs
                                        • Experience: Experienced
                                        « Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
                                        I am not using Windows Firewall. I have that crap turned off. Useless. :)

So then, what firewall are you using?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 09:50:09 AM »
                                          So then, what firewall are you using?

Extremely minimal router firewall with MalwareBytes to prevent any sort of malicious intrusion.

soybean

Genius
                                          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                                          • Computer: Specs
                                          « Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »
                                          It isn't? Since when? Are you sure with the purchased version? ... It removes viruses. .
                                          See http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro#features.  No mention whatsoever of virus protection.  MBAM is for malware other than viruses.

Yahoo! Messenger still isn't working, right? 

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
                                            See http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro#features.  No mention whatsoever of virus protection.  MBAM is for malware other than viruses.

Yahoo! Messenger still isn't working, right?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ - Right in the headline. "Malware Bytes: Free Anti-malware, anti-virus, and spyware removal software".

I am doing some things to test whether the solutions offered are working, but so far, yes Yahoo is still crashing.

Right now I deleted the other Java versions and waiting to see if my IE and Mozilla will once again say that Java is not installed under 7. I also uninstalled TVersity to see if that really was interfering with Yahoo, even though I've had TVersity for months prior to the problem developing.

Also, is this at all possible? I have noticed that I most frequently crash when another computer is on in the network. Could there be something with the router causing this issue?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
                                              All right, slight update:

TVersity is back on the possibilities of causing the Yahoo crashes. As soon as I reinstalled it, after a period of a few hours without it, Yahoo crashed. It has only crashed once so far, though.

The problem: Most of the time TVersity wasn't installed was also a time during which the other computer wasn't on. As I am wondering whether this is an odd network error.

I have a few questions:

1. How could TVersity cause the crash when the service was stopped via MSConfig? The program was not running.

2. Why would TVersity sponteneously cause troubles with Yahoo after years of working correctly? No update was made prior to the problem starting to either.

3. Could this be related to a possible network error problem? From the Event Log:

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer ZENO that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{B799066E-DDAB-480A-B0AF-C698F89DF976}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                              « Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »
                                              "Malware Bytes: Free Anti-malware, anti-virus, and spyware removal software
                                              Please install a free antivirus ASAP.  Can you confirm that Tversity is making Ymess crashes after removing the application? What router brand are you using? Did you configure ports on your network device?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »
                                                Please install a free antivirus ASAP.  Can you confirm that Tversity is making Ymess crashes after removing the application? What router brand are you using? Did you configure ports on your network device?

Thanks for getting back to me again.

I'm rather confused with this whole Malware Bytes talk. It says right in the product description that this is an anti-virus software when it is the purchased version (which I have). Why would I need to double up? I have no viruses, I get blocked malicious software alerts rather frequently when scouring the internet, and my virus protection is always on. Why would I want to burden my computer otherwise?

As for TVersity: Well yes, it seems that TVersity is the culprit as I don't get Yahoo crashing when TVersity simply is not n my system. This is odd as, again, I had TVersity installed for two full years before Yahoo had any problems with it whatsoever. This makes me wonder if it is not something else that is interfering with the whole process.

I am using a D-Link router.

I have no problem with the ports open for playing the media on my PS3. What sort of configurations should I be looking at in order to tell you what I have set up? Should I have specific ports open for TVersity in order to make sure there isn't any network issue?

Thanks again.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                « Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 12:53:45 AM »
                                                See this link http://www.helpbytes.co.uk/yconnect.php
                                                I am using a D-Link router.
                                                model?
                                                Check also this one http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DIR-615/DIR-615index.htm for the Dlink DIR-615 only. Scroll down for Yahoo Messenger Chat, Voice...

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »
                                                  See this link http://www.helpbytes.co.uk/yconnect.php model?
                                                  Check also this one http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DIR-615/DIR-615index.htm for the Dlink DIR-615 only. Scroll down for Yahoo Messenger Chat, Voice...

So sorry. Forgot to give you the model number!

It is the DIR-615. I'll try port forwarding along these lines to see whether it is any sort of network issue.

Weird update:

I had virtually no Yahoo crashes yesterday (in fact I think I had none at all) while TVersity was up. Then tonight I have multiple crashes. I initially thought it was something to do with copying and pasting, but it appears that there is at least some connection to some network problems as I was not copy/pasting at all during the time several other crashes happened. I will see if this persists once I fiddle with the ports some.

Thanks again.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                  « Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
                                                  There is also a support forum for Tversity. Certain issues have been raised concerning msvcr71.dll.. They might give you better suggestions on the software itself. Keep us posted to your issue.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 01:05:50 AM »
                                                    There is also a support forum for Tversity. Certain issues have been raised concerning msvcr71.dll.. They might give you better suggestions on the software itself. Keep us posted to your issue.

Sorry to not get back to you sooner.

I haven't been able to do the network fix yet due to personal issues. I'll be getting to that by tomorrow evening.

I checked the TVersity forum and have yet to been approved membership by the administration. I will update you if they say anything specifically about this.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:14 AM »
                                                      You  must forgive me for my sudden departure: I was repeatedly called away on business and have spent much of the last two months+ travelling while sometime being at home. I finally am now returning to a normal schedule, and with it, a return to the problems of my PC that is still giving me problems with Yahoo Messenger.

Okay, so here all the solutions I have attempted to do to fix the problem.

1. Uninstall TVersity - nope. Not the culprit! Yahoo crashes without it on my system at all. I've not had it on for a week and I've had crashes every day.

2. Download and install a new version of MSVCR71.dll. Nope, did not work. I even replaced the version of the .dll in Yahoo. This did not work.

3. Uninstalled all my Windows Visual Basic C++ updates (which were redundant and took up an incredible amount of space) and reinstalled the newest one  (x86 2010 redistributable). Nope!

4. Configured Malwarebytes to ignore Yahoo Messenger, and both instances of MSVCR71.dll. This did nothing.

5. Configured my network. This did nothing and was unnecessary. It was not a network issue - that was just a shot in the dark.

6. Tried installing other old versions of Yahoo. Nope, this didn't work. The new versions of YIM aren't fit for what I need to use it for, although as a last ditch effort, I may consider it. Even though I think the problem may go deeper (See below).

I do, however, have two leads:

1. I have been routinely getting an error, near to start up on Windows, that a program called Cyberlink Media Library Server is crashing with this message in Event Log:

Faulting application CLMLSvc.exe, version 2.3.2203.0, time stamp 0x48e5cfa5, faulting module CLMediaLibrary.dll, version 4.3.2203.0, time stamp 0x48e5cfe0, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002c873, process id 0xa34, application start time 0x01cccf2d4f50a5ef.

I did not even know I had this program and it seems to be linked to the Lightscribe functionality of my DVD burner. I never use lightscribe. Would I be well served to remove it?

I do not think this will resolve the issue, but it seems that it could be related.

2. More importantly, I have traced back the origin of the program through Event log to 7-15-2011 (with the closest instance before that on 7-7-11) after which the problem became consistent (every day often multiple times).

Possibly connected to this: About a month prior I see many folders had to be recreated on the same date - in fact, most of the major folders on my computer all seem to have been remade on 6-6-11. This makes me think this was the date of a malware (a Rogue antivirus) attack that I suffered from last year. In that attack, I was hit with a rogue anti-virus that made it appear that I lost all my data, that my hard drive was corrupted, and that everything on my computer went away. To fix it, I had to not only blast it with Malware Bytes, but I also had to do a system restore to get all my folders out of being set hidden - a process that would have taken me HOURS upon HOURS otherwise.

Is it possible that there is some registry matter that has to be attended to that eventually caused Yahoo to have problems related to this? It seems to me to be one of the last things I have not tried to fix. If so, how might I go about fixing it? Is there a program I can use that would check my registry to fix it for this sort of problem?

Also, should I post some details of the date in my eventlog for someone to look over from 7-15-2011?

Lastly, is there anyway I can make sure that, at the very least, my Yahoo crashing doesn't screw up my explorer.exe? As I said: At times the error message becomes unclickable as it makes Explorer.exe non-responsive. This forces me to logoff windows, which often interrupts my work and what I am doing even more than having a crashing program constantly. Is there anyway to fix that? This makes me think there is something wrong with explorer.exe. Should I replace the file from my windows disk?

Thank you again and my apologies once more. Your help ais always appreciated and I did not mean to vanish on all of you.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention. Many of the above fixes appeared, tantalizingly, to offer some rectification. Sometimes for up to two days my Yahoo would not crash, all for it to begin to do so again. I do not know what that says, and why there was any reprieve, but I sometimes have these instances of unproblematic operation uninterrupted by these errors. This only compounds the UTTERLY random behaviour of the problem.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
                                                        No one has any further ideas?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                        « Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »
                                                        Do you want to be checked by a Malware expert and do you have an antivirus installed?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »
                                                          Do you want to be checked by a Malware expert and do you have an antivirus installed?

Yeah, let's go ahead and have this checked by a Malware expert. I'm stumped at this point.

I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware pro installed. I also use Superantispyware regularly, but it is not the professional edition and isn't running constantly.

My logs have been clean on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Superantispyware (besides the normal tracking cookies from various websites).

SHould I post a Hijack log?

Edit: I have attached a Hijack This log. Should I post it in the dedicated area as well? Or just handle it in this thread?

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

evilfantasy

• Malware Removal Specialist

• Genius
                                                          • Calm like a bomb
                                                          « Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »
                                                          Checking: Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)

Why not SP2?

Click>> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

I don't see any malware in the log but that does not mean you are not infected. Malwarebytes is anti-malware, not a substitute for anti-virus. I suggest >>installing this<< and running a full scan.

You might also try this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Then update your computer. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/windows-update

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »
                                                            Why not SP2?

Click>> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

I don't see any malware in the log but that does not mean you are not infected. Malwarebytes is anti-malware, not a substitute for anti-virus. I suggest >>installing this<< and running a full scan.

You might also try this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Then update your computer. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/windows-update

You think it is necessary to update? I regretted updating to Windows XP Service Pack 2 due to its annoying changes (like file type execution blocking which was extremely cumbersome).

I'll DL the MS virus scanne r and see what it says this evening. Thank you.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 06:35:16 AM »
                                                              Okay, I DLed the MS Security, updated, and ran a scan. It found three files that it removed without a hitch. We'll see if that has any effect.

Previous to this, I tried the MS fix. That didn't work to do anything to stop my problem.

I haven't updated to SP2. Would you say it is the best idea?

patio

• Genius
                                                              • Maud' Dib
                                                                • Yes
                                                              « Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 07:26:07 AM »
                                                              The Service Packs are not just security patches as most think...they are major OS upgrades and yes it should be installed...

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
                                                                The Service Packs are not just security patches as most think...they are major OS upgrades and yes it should be installed...

Okay, I'll get to Dling it shortly.

Sadly: The Virus Scanner didn't stop my problem. I thought it had, as I hadn't any Yahoo crashes yesterday. But it went and crashed just now.

I'll upgrade to SP2 soon. Thanks for the advice there.

evilfantasy

• Malware Removal Specialist

• Genius
                                                                • Calm like a bomb
                                                                • OS: Windows 11
                                                                « Reply #50 on: January 22, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
                                                                  Might be of some use. http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Thanks. This isn't causing the computer to crash, though, just the application and occasionally it makes explorer.exe unresponsive. I think this program will thus be rather ineffective in helping with this specific problem. Again, thanks though: It's actually a really cool program I am going to keep on my computer in case I have an issue with crashes in the future.

Any idea of how to handle the issue with explorer.exe, though? That's really the distressing thing: When it causes that to become unresponsive. It makes me think the problem is deeper than just Yahoo.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »
                                                                    All right: Now I am almost completely confident that it is an Explorer.exe issue, -not- just a Yahoo problem.

The reason: When explorer.exe hangs because of the Yahoo error popping up, even Antifreeze won't pop up. I tried it and it forced me to do a hard restart by disabling my ctrl, alt, delete functionality. I might as well get rid of Antifreeze as it won't be able to help me with this, but at least it served to show me the issue was beyond Yahoo as I have always suspected it was.

How might I go ahead trying to do a fix of explorer.exe? Should I attempt to remove my current explorer.exe with the one on the Vista disk? Or is there any other method I can do for this?

I mean, I am correct, yes: There is no reason that explorer.exe should hang 1 out of 4 times an error message pops up for a program, right?

patio

• Genius
                                                                    • Maud' Dib
                                                                    • Thanked: 1769
                                                                      • Yes
                                                                    • OS: Windows 7
                                                                    « Reply #53 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »
                                                                    Never heard of antifreeze...except for that Green gunk i have to pour in the radiator every fall...
                                                                    Most likely the root of all your issues...

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Thanked: 2
                                                                      « Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
                                                                      Never heard of antifreeze...except for that Green gunk i have to pour in the radiator every fall...
                                                                      Most likely the root of all your issues...

It was a program recommended on the site referenced by Evil Fantasy. 

Not the green gunk in the garage. That stuff is useful, too, though.

Explorer.exe has been problematic since the start, as I noted way back when. About 1 in 4 error messages it hangs and forces me to logoff windows to clear the Yahoo error and resume explorer.exe functionality.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                                      • Thanked: 224
                                                                      « Reply #55 on: January 29, 2012, 04:18:18 AM »
                                                                      Have you tried running this machine to safemode with networking?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
                                                                        Have you tried running this machine to safemode with networking?

No.

When I do this, for how long should I keep it up?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                                        « Reply #57 on: February 01, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
                                                                        When I do this, for how long should I keep it up?
                                                                        Wait for yahoomess and explorer.exe crash in this mode. But IMO, since you have no resident antivirus in the first place, I think it is a logical factor on certain crashes. Have you tried installing a free antivirus and running a complete scan? Avira, Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials are known to have very good detection level other than MBAM and SAS being system scanners. I would also check for latest windows system, software and driver updates.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2012, 04:03:32 AM »
                                                                          Wait for yahoomess and explorer.exe crash in this mode. But IMO, since you have no resident antivirus in the first place, I think it is a logical factor on certain crashes. Have you tried installing a free antivirus and running a complete scan? Avira, Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials are known to have very good detection level other than MBAM and SAS being system scanners. I would also check for latest windows system, software and driver updates.

I'll be running in Safe Mode with Networking in the next ten minutes for about the next 8 hours or whenever it crashes.

I installed MS Security Essentials in line with the suggestion of the Malware expert. It found two viruses that were sneaking about - and I was shocked MalwareBytes didn't catch - but those didn't effect anything.

What device drivers do you think would be most pertinent to this?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2012, 01:35:58 AM »
                                                                            Okay results from the safe mode. Sorry for the slight delay in reporting:

Over 8 hours while keeping IE open (as that sometimes seems to exacerbate the problem) and Yahoo Messenger on, I did not have any crashing reported in Safe Mode with Networking. However, this is inconclusive as the problem is sparodic and unpredictable.

Also, I noticed that while running in SM with Networking that my computer was working at a slower pace than normal. Might this be due to the drivers being disabled for some features on my mouse? I noticed it especially in mouse speed and onscreen response being sluggish. Or does this perhaps represent Explorer.exe struggles?

Oh, and it goes without saying that the problem returned once I returned to normal Windows operation.

I have not yet updated any device drivers, but that potentially has something to do with it so I shall be doing so, especially if I can figure out which device drivers would be most pertinent to update. I'll begin with one or two (I'll post which ones when I DL them) and report the results here.

Thank you for all your help.

patio

• Moderator

• Genius
                                                                            • Maud' Dib
                                                                              • Yes
                                                                            « Reply #60 on: February 05, 2012, 06:09:55 AM »
                                                                            Open Device Manage...
                                                                            Any Yellow !/s or ??'s   ?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »
                                                                              Open Device Manage...
                                                                              Any Yellow !/s or ??'s   ?

None.

Weird: I tried to update the device software and drivers for my HP HDX mouse and now it will not allow me to install the device software. The drivers are up to date according to Windows, but the actual device software (which includes the easy to access menus for the advanced settings) now will not install. Everytime I attempt to install it says that the setup window is already open - a fact which is simply not true. I have even restarted to be certain, but of course, nothing has worked.

Keyboard: Current drivers are recent.

Monitor: Current drivers are recent.

ACPI x64 based PC: Recent.

Processor: Recent.

Realtek Audio: Recent.

Video card: Recent.

It seems my drivers are up to date...

The drivers are not the problem: Yahoo has still crashed.
                                                                              « Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:30:07 PM by DrSatanDracula »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                                              « Reply #62 on: February 07, 2012, 06:06:56 AM »
                                                                              Quote
                                                                              Weird: I tried to update the device software and drivers for my HP HDX mouse and now it will not allow me to install the device software
                                                                              You might as well try here not by device manager. Do I see a no crash in safemode as you posted? What keyboard by the way you have also?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
                                                                                You might as well try here not by device manager. Do I see a no crash in safemode as you posted? What keyboard by the way you have also?

I have a HP keyboard that came with my computer. KU-0841.

The mouse software was from the HP site and won't install now. The reason, it says, is that setup is already running. However, that is not true: It is not running at all. I have tried doing this after several restarts to no avail. Any idea what may be wrong with that? I am going to see if there are any other software options right now.

Here's the error code:

Error Code:   -5001 : 0xffffec75
                                                                                Error Information:
                                                                                >SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (123)
                                                                                pAPP:HP HDX Mouse
                                                                                PVENDOR:Hewlett-Packard
                                                                                PGUID:9A372D11-5C46-4A78-B9D9-510968EF4D2D
                                                                                $12.0.0.58849
                                                                                @Windows  Service Pack 1 (6001) IE 8.0.6001.18702

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                                                « Reply #64 on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »
                                                                                Quote
                                                                                The reason, it says, is that setup is already running. However, that is not true: It is not running at all.
                                                                                Do you see the HP HDX mouse being recognized in device manager and are you using it currently?
                                                                                Quote
                                                                                Over 8 hours while keeping IE open (as that sometimes seems to exacerbate the problem) and Yahoo Messenger on, I did not have any crashing reported in Safe Mode with Networking
                                                                                There is a possiblity that a 3rd party driver or a reinstall is needed that causes your system to freeze.

patio

• Moderator

• Genius
                                                                                • Maud' Dib
                                                                                  • Yes
                                                                                « Reply #65 on: February 08, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
                                                                                Which is why i can't understand no Yellow ??'s in device manager...

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »
                                                                                  Do you see the HP HDX mouse being recognized in device manager and are you using it currently? There is a possiblity that a 3rd party driver or a reinstall is needed that causes your system to freeze.

Yes. The HP HDX mouse is being recognized in device manager and is being used as we speak. It functions fine. Just the software will now not install, which is odd as it was running completely fine. It also is not the source of any problems, as Yahoo is crashing without the software now installed at all.

What third party driver do you think might be causing this? Is there a program out there that I could use in odrer to determine all of my drivers so that I could identify which one may be problematic?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »
                                                                                    Which is why i can't understand no Yellow ??'s in device manager...

It is peculiar, I agree. But I even now just checked once again (opening every category) and there are no yellow ??'s or any other alerts in the entire list.

Not a single driver seems to have an issue according to Windows.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                                                    « Reply #68 on: February 12, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »
                                                                                    Quote
                                                                                    The mouse software was from the HP site and won't install now. The reason, it says, is that setup is already running. However, that is not true: It is not running at all. I have tried doing this after several restarts to no avail. Any idea what may be wrong with that? I am going to see if there are any other software options right now.
                                                                                    The Vista 64 bit driver on the site is on version 7. You might as well removed the HP mouse driver and use a generic mouse if there is one available. Then reinstall it after downloading from the support site. I would also look for updating your IE to version 9 along with your yahoo messenger.
                                                                                    Quote
                                                                                    The HP HDX mouse is being recognized in device manager and is being used as we speak. It functions fine. Just the software will now not install

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2012, 03:50:41 AM »
                                                                                      The Vista 64 bit driver on the site is on version 7. You might as well removed the HP mouse driver and use a generic mouse if there is one available. Then reinstall it after downloading from the support site. I would also look for updating your IE to version 9 along with your yahoo messenger.

I'll fish out my other mouse for this purpose tomorrow. I have to go looking for where I put it. It's perfectly good, just this mouse was better so I put it in some box in the closet.

I'll update IE tomorrow, too.

Thank you.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                                                      « Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 12:14:35 AM »
                                                                                      I hope its good news as I'm out of ideas. ;D

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »
                                                                                        I hope its good news as I'm out of ideas. ;D

Please forgive me for the long wait in response time. Unintended amounts of business once again intruded.

I was unable to find my replacement mouse. I am still looking but that has to be shelved for the mean time. Upon finding it or finding another one (I don't have a spare right now) I will reinstall the drivers off the mouse I am currently using.

Sadly, I also received a very unexpected Blue Screen error three days ago. After doing a wee bit of searching online, it may indicate that there is some driver incompatibility issue at play, which gives me some hope that there'll be something to be done for my long-term issues here.

I've attached the Blue Screen View file of the event. I would be most obliged if you could offer me some suggestions based off the data in it.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                                                        « Reply #72 on: March 04, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »
                                                                                        The bluescreen text report documentation is here.
                                                                                        It both points to a software/driver or a hardware/hard disk problem.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
                                                                                          The bluescreen text report documentation is here.
                                                                                          It both points to a software/driver or a hardware/hard disk problem.

Thanks again.

Is there any program available that would help me determine what driver it could be? I will run a full HD error check, also.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                                                                                          « Reply #74 on: March 10, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
                                                                                          Quote
                                                                                          Is there any program available that would help me determine what driver it could be?
                                                                                          Quote
                                                                                          unexpected Blue Screen error
                                                                                          The bluescreen error might be driver related in your previous post. I usually just look for updated drivers if in your case or reinstalling them atleast with the correct ones from the support sites. I would not bypass the mouse driver and replacement first though.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 03:09:00 AM »
                                                                                            The bluescreen error might be driver related in your previous post. I usually just look for updated drivers if in your case or reinstalling them atleast with the correct ones from the support sites. I would not bypass the mouse driver and replacement first though.

I'm in the process of replacing all the drivers on the system. Let's hope that resolves matters.

Thank you very much. I'll give some updates soon.