Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Blank Screen Flashing (5 times) Caps? Num/Scroll? Lock  (Read 21267 times)

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Computer: HP Compaq 6735b Notebook PC

Specs: Unavailable to check.

Problem: An hour ago, I attempted to turn on the laptop and was met with a completely blank screen. At start up, the caps lock? and num/scroll? lock LEDs flash five times (it does not repeat).

The issue came out of the blue. It was working this morning. All other lights are fine, including even the volume indicator lights. Of course, no sound is heard.

From what I am gathering this is a motherboard  problem as per http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN . Could anyone confirm for me that this is so? Moreover, is there anything to be done short of replacing the mobo if it is a mobo problem?

Related: Would I be able to remove the HD from this laptop, place it into another laptop, and have access to the files present on it? Or would this require formatting or installation in a HD case in order to transfer the files over?

Note: This has nothing to do with my other active thread. Another computer entirely.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Laptop Blank Screen Flashing (5 times) Caps? Num/Scroll? Lock
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:39:55 AM »
    You need to transfer first the documents from your hard drive as a safety procedure. You would need an enclosure adapter and another working computer to do this -> http://www.liutilities.com/how-to/install-laptop-hard-drive-to-desktop-computer/
    You could also follow the link you provided to diagnose the particular error codes on your startup problem.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »
    Would I be able to remove the HD from this laptop, place it into another laptop, and have access to the files present on it? Or would this require formatting or installation in a HD case in order to transfer the files over?

Yes, if you put it in a laptop with identical hardware (but then you would also need to plug an external hdd or something to copy the files to). Otherwise, you would have to plug it into a regular comp.

Is the screen completely blank the whole time or does it flash some BIOS text?
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
      Yes, if you put it in a laptop with identical hardware (but then you would also need to plug an external hdd or something to copy the files to). Otherwise, you would have to plug it into a regular comp.

Is the screen completely blank the whole time or does it flash some BIOS text?

No bios. The scren is utterly blank.

To clarify: I could only transfer the HD into another laptop provided that the hardware is identical? Otherwise I'd have to slap it into an external shell?

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:51 AM »
        You need to transfer first the documents from your hard drive as a safety procedure. You would need an enclosure adapter and another working computer to do this -> http://www.liutilities.com/how-to/install-laptop-hard-drive-to-desktop-computer/
        You could also follow the link you provided to diagnose the particular error codes on your startup problem.

Okay. So you're saying that HP site is legitimate in claiming this error is explicitly a motherboard problem? I just wanted to confirm as this probably means I'll be purchasing another laptop and do not want to do so if it was possibly something else or easily resolvable.

As I asked to Linux, just to confirm: I would need -exact- hardware to switch out the HD to another computer and just run it up? Because I have another working laptop.

Thanks to both of you.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
          • Programming Blog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
        I would need -exact- hardware to switch out the HD to another computer and just run it up?

Yes, you would if you were going to boot from it. If you just want to get the files, then no. But you talked about another laptop. In most laptops you can only put one hard drive in, so you would need an external enclosure. The easiest way would be to just find a desktop and hook it up to that so that you can transfer the files.
        YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 02:46:41 PM »
        These are handy for that...'bout 8 Bucks at any PC store...

Laptop to IDE converter.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:59:01 AM »
          Thank you everyone for your help on this issue. I got the new Laptop + HDD enclosure (as I thought it'd be more useful) so I should be able to get everythin' going just fine.

Thank you again.

Problem solved.