Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which is faster - need help please  (Read 2518 times)

mofokiss

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Which is faster - need help please
    « on: October 31, 2011, 02:31:09 AM »
    Being a single parent and always on a budget I am looking to get another PC so I can give my old one to one of my kids.

I am looking at a dell PC on ebay which has   2 X DUAL CORE XEON 1.6GHZ (INTEL 5110) processors, its a dell precision 690. My current PC has a Athlon 64 x2 4400+ and I would love to know if the xeon machine would be faster?

Hope you can help

immental1200

Re: Which is faster - need help please
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 04:16:25 AM »
    Being a single parent and always on a budget I am looking to get another PC so I can give my old one to one of my kids.

I am looking at a dell PC on ebay which has   2 X DUAL CORE XEON 1.6GHZ (INTEL 5110) processors, its a dell precision 690. My current PC has a Athlon 64 x2 4400+ and I would love to know if the xeon machine would be faster?

Hope you can help

The dell precision will be faster. CPU is not everything though.
    I am going by the default specs of the Dell Precision.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:13:19 AM »
    ...I am looking at a dell PC on ebay which has   2 X DUAL CORE XEON 1.6GHZ (INTEL 5110) processors, its a dell precision 690. My current PC has a Athlon 64 x2 4400+ and I would love to know if the xeon machine would be faster?...
    The Xeon CPU's are used in servers & require special RAM & other hardware.  I would steer clear of it for home use.
    This is the CPU:  http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%205110%20-%20HH80556KH0254M%20%28BX805565110A%20-%20BX805565110P%29.html
    Socket 771, not very common.

mofokiss

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 05:50:49 AM »
      Thanks for the answers, I think i am going to go for this its a dedicated workstation rather than a server-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400251821498?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3084wt_1155

I do a fair amount of work in photoshop so should be ok. With regards to the 771 socket - does it really matter as I wont be changing the motherboard?

I know what you mean about the ram, it comes with 4GB so that should do me fine + I have checked and there are plenty of s/h ram about should I need it.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:29:41 AM »
      You mention photoshop, so I assume you know that graphics card will also be an important factor.
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
      You mention photoshop, so I assume you know that graphics card will also be an important factor.

Photoshop CS5 (and possibly previous versions) use OpenGL to display their workspaces, but all filters and actual manipulation of bitmap data is done in software. The actual card being used is not an important factor. As long as it supports basic OpenGL (and you would be hard pressed to find one that doesn't) it will work perfectly fine. Versions before they started to use OpenGL, and it won't matter, since all bitmap modifications and filters (with very few exceptions, aside maybe addons) were in software.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.