Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Pro - SETUPLDR Couldn’t open drive multi disk rddisk partition 1  (Read 7069 times)

lapetite66

Computer Specs

Operating System - Windows XP Professional SP2, OEM & Legal(used on old motherboard)
Motherboard(Current & never been used) – MSI_P67A-C43(B)
Service Packs -  2 & 3
Computer Model - Generic (built at Computer Convention during June 2001)
Memory - 4GB
Sound – Onboard
Video(card) – PNY 512MB

Harddrives (3) All Seagate Barracuda
#1 Seagate (SATA) 500GB – never been used but is the one I wanted to install OS on.
#2 Seagate (IDE) 500GB – Storage Drive
#3 Seagate (SATA)1TB – Storage Drive

Issue:

I was attempting to install the operating system on the 500GB Seagate harddrive but keeping getting the following error message:  SETUPLDR Couldn’t open drive(0) multi(0) disk(0) rddisk(0) partition(1)

I have been in BIOs screen and have the boot options set up correctly
A) DVD-RW
B)HD

At first I thought I couldn’t install the drive because I the motherboard was confused(for want of a better description) about which harddrive to install the operating system on but after checking the case I remember that I although there was a cable connected to the IDE harddisk, that the other end of the cable WASN’T connected to IDE controller card (in the pci slot).  So, that couldn’t be the issue.

I went into BIOs and changed the SATA connection to ACHI, then to RAID, then to IDE and neither of those worked because I keep getting the same error message mentioned above.  I read in another post a suggestion about setting the SATA controller to ATA and not to ACHI.  Unfortunately that won’t work for me as the ones I mentioned are the only options I have other than disabling it.

I thought maybe it was my harddrive, that it was dead as a doornail, so I disconnected it from my MSI motherboard and connected to my sister’s(the one I’m using right now to communicate).   Her computer which is a Compaq Presario which has SATA capabilities picked on the drive right away.  Of course I couldn’t see the drive until I used Seagate DiscWizard to format the drive as a Primary NTFS partition but once that was done the drive was fully viewable.  I also connected the TB storage drive just to make sure that it was viable as well and it was.  All my video files are still as intact as the day I put them on there.

Can someone please tell me what exactly does the error message SETUPLDR Couldn’t open drive(0) multi(0) disk(0) rddisk(0) partition(1) mean and how can I get this issue resolved before my sister comes to take back her computer(which is what I’m using right now)?

I have trying to get work for the last few days and I'm at the end of my rope. :'(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:34:29 PM by lapetite66 »

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: XP Pro - SETUPLDR Couldn’t open drive multi disk rddisk partition 1
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Hi, lapetite66

I'm not sure about that error but did you try plugging the drive into a different SATA port on your motherboard? If not I would recommend doing this.

Or you could just head over here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/154251-setupldr-couldnt-open-drive0-multi0-disk0-rddisk0-partition1/, where you already posted this question on another website. I would follow Jaclaz's last post:

"Or you could get a DOS based CD such as the excellent UBCD:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and use it to run a few tests on your hardware."

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: XP Pro - SETUPLDR Couldn’t open drive multi disk rddisk partition 1
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
Have you ever done the following?
Remove the 500GB SATA drive.
Install a small PATA (IDE )drive. About 120 GB. Or less.
Bring up XP on just the small IDE drive.

The purpose of the exercise is to confirm that the motherboard and the XP copy you have are know to work together . But if you can not get it o work with an older drive, it is futile to go very further using a large SATA drive.